Baseball season started!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

imo

when healthy, griffey junior has the best swing in the game.

randy johnson might play for the yankees this season

the tribe will win the central

ss1

Tribe will win the central eh??? You know, I throw left handed, and I bet even I could pitch better in relief....I have a pretty mean curveball..... ^_^

which manager will get the pink-slip first?

i'd say bob brenley of the d-cakes

also, the royals have been playin' like crap

ss1

If Tony Pena takes the fall for the Royals playing poorly it is a shame. Last year the Royals used something like 10 different starting pitchers, and yet Pena kept them in the hunt before a late fade. This year the pitching is even worse, so it's no surprise they stink. Pena may fall victim to the old adage of 'you can't fire the players, so you fire the manager'. I thought that last year he should have won Manager of the year.

Astros picked up Carlos Beltran from KC a few days ago. They've been in a bad slump, so hopefully this will help provide their offense a bit more punch. It's a pretty good hitting lineup, on paper at least:

Biggio

Bagwell

Beltran

Berkman

Kent

Ensberg

Everett

Ausmus

Pitcher

Clemens has been pitching very well overall, so if Pettitte can get back to form, I think they've got everything they need to make a run back towards the top of the NL Central. Just gotta start DOIN' IT.

It's going to be an interesting series against the Cubs this week. Pettite is scheduled to come back against Rusch Tuesday. Andy's ERA is superior, but otherwise the rookie's record is just about as strong. Clemens and Clement bring nearly identical records to what should be the game of the week Wednesday. The Miller and Prior matchup Thursday just caps what should be the most interesting weekday series in the NL this week.

And this coming from a life-long, die-hard Cardinals fan.

Man, hear abou the parasite story with the Yankees??? What did they eat over there???:ph34r:

In other Yankees pitching news, Kevin Brown was diagnosed with intestinal parasites, joining Jason Giambi as the second member of the Yankees to test positive for the ailment this week.

Brown has been out with a bad back since leaving a start June 9, but he's also been ailing "about 3½ weeks or so since we got back from Japan," losing 15 pounds and struggling even to get out of bed each day.

Brown had numerous tests that offered no explanations for what was sapping him of his strength. So when Brown learned Giambi had parasites on Tuesday, he knew he should get checked, even though he didn't have the stomach virus symptoms that the first baseman had.

"At least I understand why I struggled so bad," Brown said.

Yankees team doctor Stuart Hershon spoke with the players before their game against the Boston Red Sox on Thursday night, explaining that this is not an epidemic and that the entire team does not need to be tested.

"I wanted to talk to the team to put to rest any unnecessary anxiety," he said. "I just wanted get any obvious concerns out of the way."

Brown suggested he might have gotten the parasites during the Yankees' season-opening series in Japan against Tampa Bay in March.

"Everything is so much speculation _ that would seem to be a distinct possibility," Brown said. "I think overseas travel is a red flag for doctors."

Hershon and the Devil Rays said Tampa Bay had no cases.

"We haven't had any illnesses that we would suspect would be related to a parasite," Devil Rays spokesman Rick Vaughn said.

Brown began taking antibiotics, which should take seven to 10 days to work, and will not participate in any workouts until he is feeling stronger.

Giambi has been taking the medicine for four days and told Torre he is slowly feeing better. Giambi took batting practice in the indoor cages at Yankee Stadium the past two days.

to me, it doen't seem like barry would need steroids. he has the god given ability

after he retires, barry's numbers will be impressive.

700 homers and 2200-2400 walks and 3000 hits. Shhhheeeeeeettttttttt

like him or not, barry is a great ball player

every team is afraid to pitch to b.b.

i saw him last year at bank one

ss1

Well, no one can accuse former Red Sox manager and Red Sox Nation Pariah Grady Little of not having a sense of humor about his ill-fated trip to the mound to relieve (or not) Pedro Martinez last October.

It seems that the Brockton Rox, an Independent League team, wanted to have some fun with a unique Bobble-Head doll in Grady's honor. But not a bobble-HEAD, a bobble-ARM, as in, the left arm that Grady should have raised, signalling for a lefty when he came to the mound.

item_1400.jpg

However, it was reported originally, that Grady wasn't too thrilled, and the team cancelled the promotion.

However, Grady has now approved sale of the 1000 dolls that were made, provided that the proceeds benefit a charity that helps old baseball scouts.

But I am so disappointed:

Sales on the website started today, and its already listed as unavailable. They also planned to sell at the ballpark, and over the phone, starting tomorrow. I wonder if the web sold out of every doll, or did they only allow a certain number to be sold?

Man, now the only way to get one of these will be on ebay, and the price will be astronomical!

:rmad:

griffey's hamstrings are strained again

bonds will get 200 walks this year

the d-cakes will finish with the worst record in the nl

the yankees still can kiss my butt

ss1

Will Junior ever again have a healthy season? This is the third year that he's battling injuries, and if his hammy is torn we may not see him for a loooong time(2005?). When he's healthy, he's one of the best players around.He actually had a good shot at hitting 800+ homers, but now that he's lost almost two full years and maybe more he may not pass Aaron.

Astros fire Williams; Garner named interim manager

When has a team ever really bounced back from firing their manager mid-season? I know it's happened, but it's not coming to mind.

Um... lemme think... oh, I remember!

1978 NY Yankees. ;)

Uh, its happened a bit more recently than that. In 1988, the Red Sox were struggling at the break, they fired John McNamara, and named Joe Morgan interim manager (not that Joe Morgan) and suddenly Morgan's Magic took off and the Sox won 12 in a row and 19 of 20 on their way to the division championship. Only the A's ended their run.