Baseball season started!

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reasons to keep hope alive:

We need two wins to reach a meaningful game, and we have Pedro and Curt to pitch them.

Pedro at home can get the job done. He was so amped up in New York, with that infernal chant going. That was why he threw so many pitches. Pedro, under control (hopefully) has to turn in a vintage performance. It could be his swan song at Fenway, and I think he'll do it.

Mussina-scratch just below the surface of any Yankee fan, and most will say they aren't at all certain that Mussina is a true "Big Game" pitcher. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but playing at home, I know we can get him this afternoon.

We're due for some breaks to go our way. You may end up lording it over us again, but there's no way these two teams are this different in talent.

And last but not least, if we can somehow get there, its Kevin Brown in Game 7, and I believe there isn't a Yankee fan on Earth who wants to see Kevin Brown in Game 7. He was a disaster, and if he pitches in the World Series, it will be a disaster. And who follows? Vasquez? He's no improvement. And frankly, I wasn't impressed with Duque either-he had a fraction of his usual command. The Yanks may reach the Series-hell its practically impossible for them not to-but this team is eminently beatable, by either NL team.

Well said Dan.

Last nights win was so important. At the very least just to not get swept by the Yankees at Fenway. I can't think of anything more humiliating.

While visiting family this summer in Maine I saw the best Sox shirt. It went something like this:

"I support two teams. The Boston Red Sox and whoever beats the New York Yankees."

There's still a glimmer of hope but I think I'll be rooting for the Cards or Astros very soon. :unsure:

There's still a glimmer of hope but I think I'll be rooting for the Cards or Astros very soon. :unsure:

Could we actually find ourselves rooting for the Rocket, after hating him so much? :g

I'd much rather see the Rocket back at Fenway, but if its Houston vs the Yanks, I got no problem rooting for the old man for old time's sake. :lol:

For somebody whose childhood in the 60s was frustratingly spent as an Astros fan, this is getting kinda good...

Yeah, I am a Cards fan, but good for the Astros! I thought I would miss the entire NL game with the Sox-Yankees going so long. I did flip over to see that AMAZING catch by Beltran! Houston just can't let him go, even if it means dealing with Satan himself(Scott Boros)

Jeff Kent would have been playing for Oakland if Oakland hadn't been so cheap(I think it would have cost them a million to rent him for September) Sometimes the best trades are the ones never made!

Oh, speaking of moves made/not made by teams, I bet the Twins must really pat themselves on the back for all the money they saved by releasing Ortiz.

I know Yankee fans have no worries (was the Empire ever concerned about Luke Skywalker before the Deathstar exploded? :g ) but some truly shocking "firsts" in these two games:

First time Yankees have blown back-to-back save opportunities in the post season.

First time they've lost back-to-back extra inning games in the post season

(I think both of those are Joe Torre era stats).

Whatever you want to say about them, don't say the Sox don't have heart, or courage or guts.

Leiber can be hit, there's no question about that, and I think this team will be super loose for Game 6. The question is whether Schilling's new hightop cleat will function in a game situation. If it does, and he does what he is capable of ... this will be simply amazing. And with Brown to go in Game 7? I like the sound of that.

Strong chance of rain today in New York, I bet both teams will be lobbying for a postponment, even if the rain lightens up by game time. I can just see both managers touring the outfield, one saying, gee, you know, this looks really treacherous. I don't think its safe to play in this slop ... and the other guy nodding his head vigorously. :g

In the immortal words of George Costanza, "I'm dyin' here." Walks are absolutely killing us. Rivera two nights ago and Gordon and that moron Loaiza last night. You simply cannot keep dealing out free passes and win close ballgames. Torre has to be going nuts. And where are the bats? God, you score 19 runs on Saturday night and now you can't buy a hit. The Yanks had chance after chance in both games and not one of their high priced guys could get a hit. I about came unglued when A-Rod fanned with one out and Cairo on third. Talk about not coming through in the clutch. They left 18 friggin' guys on base last night. That's horrible.

I'm just praying the Shilling doesn't have it tonight and Leiber does. Otherwise, I think this is over. I don't even want to comtemplate going into a game 7 with the pitching choices that remain available to the Yanks.

Just shoot me.

Up over and Harold.

Man, I was thinking what a stupid manager Francona was keeping in rally killer Bellhorn in instead of Pokey Reese. Then he hits a 3 run homer. Like Joaquin Andujar, said You can sum up baseball in one word: You never know. :o:eye:

Edited by BERIGAN