• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Highly-touted Yankees prospect Spencer Jones hit a 470-foot home run in his spring training debut today, so I’m happy about that. The new uniforms are an aesthetic disaster.  And I strongly suspect the Boras Four are all going to have to lower their asking prices significantly. 

True 🧐 ....

Glad to hear Bellinger is headed back to the Cubbies, I think they now have a strong shot at the playoffs if not the Division. 

And if I haven't said it in so many words, John Henry is losing every bit of good will that 4 WS championships brings. Another last place finish seems inevitable and there if they sniff a .500 record it will be in the 81-83 win range. Pathetic.

Bellinger was reportedly seeking $150-200 million, so he ended up settling for roughly half of that.  I wouldn't be surprised to see similar short-term, high-AAV deals with opt-outs being taken by the remaining members of the Boras Four. In any event, happy for Cubs fans that he landed back with them--seems like a good fit for both team and player.  

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone excited about "Spring Breakout" in which organizations field teams of top prospects in official spring games?

I am somewhat curious to see some of the young prospects the Sox have coming up (no pitchers, of course) against the Braves future stars on Saturday.

Yes.  Still expecting Montgomery to somehow end up back with the Yankees, but thought someone would grab him up.  His price tag must be even more of a Boras overreach than the others.  

42 minutes ago, felser said:

Yes.  Still expecting Montgomery to somehow end up back with the Yankees, but thought someone would grab him up.  His price tag must be even more of a Boras overreach than the others.  

I thought Snell was ticketed to NY after the Cole injury even if the medical consensus was "no surgery".  But at $30 million a year equating to additional $33 million in tax, would the Yankees really go that way? The Red Sox have room and Montgomery is a better bet to perform, IMO, then Golito ever was.

A big whiff of b.s. about the changing “story” here, via ESPN:

>>Initially, a spokesman for Ohtani told ESPN the slugger had transferred the funds to cover Mizuhara's gambling debt. The spokesman presented Mizuhara to ESPN for a 90-minute interview Tuesday night, during which Mizuhara laid out his account in great detail. However, as ESPN prepared to publish the story Wednesday, the spokesman disavowed Mizuhara's account and said Ohtani's lawyers would issue a statement.

"In the course of responding to recent media inquiries, we discovered that Shohei has been the victim of a massive theft, and we are turning the matter over to the authorities," read the statement from Berk Brettler LLP.<<

I strongly suspect that the first account was accurate—it came from Ohtani’s spokesperson, and they then put the interpreter on ESPN to elaborate on it… then realized that that narrative was going to be problematic for Ohtani in some legal and/or PR way. But changing the story looks even worse, IMO. In any event, I’m sure the Dodgers and MLB will do anything they can to protect Ohtani’s image, given his enormous fan appeal.  

Ohtani interpreter fired

Former pitcher Dallas Braden’s tweet sums it up pretty well:

A rough timeline:

- Ohtani rep goes on record W/ESPN stating Ohtani transferred $4.5MM himself to bookmaker on behalf of Ippei.

- Spokesperson for Ohtani delivers Ippei to ESPN for statement. Ippei says Ohtani NEVER bet & felt bad for him & paid off his debt so he’d never do it again.

-Spokesperson for Ohtani says Ippei is lying after he gives his 90 minute statement to ESPN.

-Ohtani’s lawyers claim “massive theft”.

-Ippei then says Ohtani had zero knowledge of his debt or his gambling habit in general.

That about right?

Edited by ghost of miles

10 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

A big whiff of b.s. about the changing “story” here, via ESPN:

>>Initially, a spokesman for Ohtani told ESPN the slugger had transferred the funds to cover Mizuhara's gambling debt. The spokesman presented Mizuhara to ESPN for a 90-minute interview Tuesday night, during which Mizuhara laid out his account in great detail. However, as ESPN prepared to publish the story Wednesday, the spokesman disavowed Mizuhara's account and said Ohtani's lawyers would issue a statement.

"In the course of responding to recent media inquiries, we discovered that Shohei has been the victim of a massive theft, and we are turning the matter over to the authorities," read the statement from Berk Brettler LLP.<<

I strongly suspect that the first account was accurate—it came from Ohtani’s spokesperson, and they then put the interpreter on ESPN to elaborate on it… then realized that that narrative was going to be problematic for Ohtani in some legal and/or PR way. But changing the story looks even worse, IMO. In any event, I’m sure the Dodgers and MLB will do anything they can to protect Ohtani’s image, given his enormous fan appeal.  
Ohtani interpreter fired

Shoot the messenger for bringing bad news ....

13 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Former pitcher Dallas Braden’s tweet sums it up pretty well:

A rough timeline:

- Ohtani rep goes on record W/ESPN stating Ohtani transferred $4.5MM himself to bookmaker on behalf of Ippei.

- Spokesperson for Ohtani delivers Ippei to ESPN for statement. Ippei says Ohtani NEVER bet & felt bad for him & paid off his debt so he’d never do it again.

-Spokesperson for Ohtani says Ippei is lying after he gives his 90 minute statement to ESPN.

-Ohtani’s lawyers claim “massive theft”.

-Ippei then says Ohtani had zero knowledge of his debt or his gambling habit in general.

That about right?

Where is Judge Landis when you need him?

Would be an incredible story if Ohtani is gambling ... and this is his interpreter? What kind of assets does he have to support such a debt?  Here I am pretty sure bookies don't let you get to 4.5m - assuming any exist anymore since its all legal.

And if the interpreter is taking the bullet to cover for Ohtani's gambling, does he realize he's likely headed to jail with the way the public story currently stands?  Gets interesting here with a shame/honor culture slamming up against a truth/facts culture.   Wonder how the Dodgers are feeling about their billion dollars worth of FA signings (Ohtani and Yoshinobu) at the moment?  So much more to come on all of this yet.

@felser Agreed on all of this. MLB has an interest in keeping Ohtani protected and "innocent" but are we sure he's not?  And if not, what do they do?

Maybe we don't need Judge Landis but Bart Giammati died a while back too, and its not like the Commish is an independent actor anymore.