What has become of Joe Douglas, a UK pianist?

mhatta

Does anyone know about a pianist named Joe Douglas?

There are so-called one-hit wonders, or people who release a single work and then suddenly disappear, not only in jazz but in any other field, but there is really no information on this British pianist Joe Douglas (his name is so ordinary that it is difficult to find in a search). He was recorded and released in 1979, and from the jacket photo, he was in his late 20s, which means he was probably born in the 1950s or thereabouts, so it would not be surprising if he is still alive. However, he must have retired from music early and took up a completely different profession, or died prematurely right after the release of the album.

The sidemen are Chris Lawrence on bass and Dave Barry on drums, a good lineup for the British jazz scene at that time, and it seems as if Douglas was a promising newcomer. Incidentally, Barry is still alive and well, and I asked him by e-mail if there was anything he remembered, but he did not reply. In addition, there is no YouTube video as well as music streaming platforms. This kind of thing is quite rare today. In the past, Japanese record companies used to release such things as Japanese CDs. It was a good time.

The tunes in "Visage" are all his own compositions, which are in line with his own lyrical piano style and full of the sadness characteristic of British music of this period, not limited to jazz music. I wonder why he disappeared, though he was a talented composer and not bad at the piano.

81F6tU8pJKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Not heard of him. Chris Laurence (not Lawrence), the bass player is still going strong and usually turns up at a local venue, Lauderdale House, once or twice a year. If I see him, I’ll ask him. Perhaps he went into studio/theatre work or teaching. 

I've never heard of him either, nor was I aware of this LP - when I get chance I'll check the 1979/80 Jazz Journals to see if they reviewed it.

A few years now since I last saw Chris Laurence (likely with John Taylor) but he is brilliant.

Lauderdale House - was that the venue that Brian Blain was involved with?  Another guy whose valuable  contribution is missed.

Edited by sidewinder

49 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I've never heard of him either, nor was I aware of this LP - when I get chance I'll check the 1979/80 Jazz Journals to see if they reviewed it.

A few years now since I last saw Chris Laurence (likely with John Taylor) but he is brilliant.

Lauderdale House - was that the venue that Brian Blain was involved with?  Another guy whose valuable  contribution is missed.

Yes! Brian Blain’s droll introductions were worth the price of admission. He is much missed in Highgate. The last few times I have seen Chris Laurence he has been magnificent. 

23 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

Yes! Brian Blain’s droll introductions were worth the price of admission. He is much missed in Highgate. The last few times I have seen Chris Laurence he has been magnificent. 

Brian used to do some of the band intros at the 'old' Swanage Fest. His great knowledge of the British scene and the various players was exemplary and is missed. I believe he also established a link between Lauderdale House and Swanage for sharing of bands and his choices were always interesting.

Highgate - lived there as a student back in the day, on 'The Grove' no less !

Always been impressed by Chris L's lovely big bass sound. Rarely puts a note wrong. Almost like an English Cecil McBee.

Edited by sidewinder

30 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

OT. The Grove? V posh, used to be JB Priestley, Taylor Coleridge now Kate Moss, Jude Law territory. You must be familiar with the Flask. 

Indeed I was, although v. pricey for mere students so had to ration it. Amazing that I actually lived there once. Yehudi Menuhin down the road, used to see Stanley Baxter washing his car. 'Soviet Trade Delegation' and its shifty clientelle next door, Anthony Blunt the other side...

The house long-since ceased to be a student residence and is now a super-rich London residence.

Edited by sidewinder

5 hours ago, Pim said:

Never heard of him either. You might want to try and contact the drummer of the album? I found a mail address on his partly defunct website:

David.barry079@btinternet.com

http://www.davebarry.co.uk

I already did that but don't get a reply (yet).

5 hours ago, adh1907 said:

Not heard of him. Chris Laurence (not Lawrence), the bass player is still going strong and usually turns up at a local venue, Lauderdale House, once or twice a year. If I see him, I’ll ask him. Perhaps he went into studio/theatre work or teaching. 

Nice!  If you can, please ask him.

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Douglas is a unique player who writes unique songs, although I cannot say that he is on par with John Taylor in terms of ability.  Still an interesting figure.