New Oliver Nelson - Death of a Gunfighter & Skullduggery

Posted (edited)

25% OFF YOUR ENTIRE ORDER OF IN-STOCK TITLES
starts April 2 at 12 noon (pst)!!!

That’s right! It’s time to Spring into great savings with 25% OFF YOUR ENTIRE ORDER of IN-STOCK titles – including this month’s two new releases! 
Discount will be applied at checkout. (This offer applies to IN-STOCK items only and excludes our SCARFACE VINYL 2XLP and the purchase of Gift Certificates).

Special offer starts 4/2 at 12 noon (pst) and runs through 4/16
Only at www.lalalandrecords.com.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, gvopedz said:

Let us know your impressions of the song performed by Lena Horne.

Will do!

So far I listened to Skullduggery.  This combines elements of Stravinsky and Les Baxter, with some very obviously Mancini touches, e.g., the reed section playing flutes in unison over a relaxed, mid-tempo swing.  

I will spin Death of a Gunfighter today.  

2 hours ago, gvopedz said:

Let us know your impressions of the song performed by Lena Horne.

Listening now.  There are two versions of the Lena Horne track; the first is short.  It is a ballad.  The first is scored primarily with strings.  Lena sounds like she is channeling Babs here. 

Posted (edited)

Now listening to the longer version of the Lena track, which closes out the first half of the CD, Death of a Gunfighter.

The tune is based on a recurring theme that plays over primarily shifting minor chords.  The stanzas are somewhat melodically repetitive; the bridge is nice.  It doesn't rise to the level of what say, Mancini or Legrand were doing with film themes at this time, but it is nice enough on its own terms.

As for the rest of the score, if you are looking for jazz or "jazz," you won't really find either here.  You get lots of strings, sometimes melodic, more often brooding and dissonant.  At least one track reminded me of Morricone; another happier track reminded me of a love montage that may have played in an early-70s made-for-TV movie, with young lovers walking through the woods while gentle sunlight filters through the trees. 

There is more jazz content, or "jazz" content on the other score, Skullduggery, particularly with regard to the Mancini-esque passages I mentioned. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean