Happy Birthday!

GA Russell

1 hour ago, felser said:

Is her show available online?

Each show is archived for one magical week, before disappearing forever into the ether, unless an alien civilization picks up the broadcasts in thousands of years.  (Radio waves theoretically travel indefinitely.)

The show is called Surface Noise on www.wmnf.org, and she just won programmer of the year. Surface Noise primarily focuses on late-70s/early-80s punk and new wave, along with genres that led to this, such as 60s garage and glam, and stuff inspired by this.  It also includes a segments titled "Your Weekly Todd" and "The Bowie Votive."  

Finally there is "The Cocktail Mix" in the last 15 minutes of the show, during which she may spin anything including jazz, standards, Latin, Brazilian, exotica, space age, spy, crime, French Pop, Moog, sitar, outer space.  She sometimes does birthday tributes in these segments, hence my question for @GA Russell.

But this week's cocktail mix will continue Earth Day recognition with a Brazilian aquatic theme, with Brazilian songs about frogs, ducks, fishermen, little boats, surfboards, and March waters. 

https://www.wmnf.org/events/surface-noise/

You can listen live on Saturdays 4pm - 6pm EST.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May 18

Ezio Pinza - 1892

Meredith Wilson - 1902

Big Joe Turner - 1911

Perry Como - 1912

Charles Trenet - 1913

Kai Winding - 1922

Gary Paxton - 1939

Jim McNeely - 1949

George Strait - 1952

Mike Whitmarsh - 1962 - my favorite pro beach volleyball player

Posted (edited)

May 21

Dennis Day - 1916
(I remember asking my mother, "Why are they treating that man like he's a kid?")

Bill Barber - 1920

Joe Byrd - 1933

Tony Sheridan - 1940

Hilton Valentine - 1943

Leo Sayer - 1948

Marc Ribot - 1954

Edited by GA Russell

I seldom know birth dates, but the Sun Ra birthday is interesting. It was in Alabama. It must have been great influences of early jazz that made him become such a great artist, one of my favourites in my early beginnings of loving jazz. 

I even might say that I "learned" about traditional jazz thru Sun Ra when they sometimes at the end of a set would play just for fun some late 20´s, 30´s stuff and it really sounded great....., he was an important figure for me, as was Mingus, both having come up in the old jazz tradition and become leading figures to talk jazz beyond the boundaries, exploring new areas. That meant jazz for me in my very beginnings with that music.....

May 26

Ziggy Elman - 1914

Moondog - 1916

Peggy Lee - 1920

Miles Davis - 1926

Levon Helm - 1940

Verden Allen - 1944
(I saw Mott the Hoople in '70 and again in '71.)

Stevie Nicks - 1948

Hank Williams, Jr. - 1949

Ben Alexander - 1911

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

From their biker period!  To you prefer the biker band or the glam band?

I was a big fan early on, when their US albums were on Atlantic.  I lost interest when they became involved with Bowie.

In '70 they were the warm-up act for Jethro Tull.  Tull was boring in comparison, and half the crowd left before the end of Tull's set.

2 hours ago, GA Russell said:

I was a big fan early on, when their US albums were on Atlantic.  I lost interest when they became involved with Bowie.

Back in my rock days, I always loved the first two Columbia albums, All the Young Dudes and Mott, but I did have at least two of their Atlantic LPs. On her annual Christmas show, Ms. TTK always plays "Death May Be Your Santa Claus."

May 28

Andy Kirk - 1898

T-Bone Walker - 1910

Papa John Creach - 1917

Russ Freeman - 1926

Arno Marsh - 1928

Tricky Lofton - 1930

Gladys Knight - 1944

John Fogerty - 1945

Claudio Roditi - 1946

PGT Beauregard - 1818

June 3

Josephine Baker - 1906

Al Harewood - 1923

Boots Randolph - 1927

Dakota Staton - 1930

Ted Curson - 1935

Grachan Moncur III - 1937

Ian Hunter - 1939

Curtis Mayfield - 1942

Michael Clarke - 1944

Kenny Ploen - 1935
(I had his bubble gum card in 1964.)

Sam Mills - 1959
(In 1981, Sam Mills tried out for the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL, and didn't make the team.  In 1982, he tried out for the Cleveland Browns of the NFL, and didn't make the team.  In 1983, he tried out for the Philadelphia Stars of the USFL, and made the team.  Today, he is in the Canton Hall of Fame.)