Singers Unlimited ROCK STARS?!?!?! Austrian TV ShowFootage

JSngry

Thanks Jim for sharing it with us. 
I remember them so well, they were a huge success and I think I even remember having seen that on TV back then. 

The moderator is our great TV multi talent the great Peter Rapp, who still is doing very well. 

Those were the days ! And of course I had heard the LP with Peterson "In Tune". 

Those TV shows were just wonderful, we had much jazz there. I think it was a wonderful time, I´m a product of that time with all that music around.....

Brings a lotta memories back.....

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Bizarre !

Indeed! But signs and part of the times.
Remembered differently according to everyone's musical conditioning during that period.
Their record contract with MPS made them a staple on a wide variety of German Music shows and broadcasts during the 70s. Usually in (Very 😁) "Easy Listening" formats - for people not quite sophisticated enough to really dig the Siwngle Singers, for example.
Not my cuppa, neither then nor now, never miend their undoiubted craftsmanship. But I remember back then I came to sit them out as part of the intermission fillers you were often served, and today I take them as part of the "70s sound" for "adult teens".

They probably were also part of the typical music served on a radio show on Sunday nights (taken over from Austrian radio, I think) called "Schlager für Fortgeschrittene" ("Pop music for avanced listeners") hosted by Gerhard Bronner (whom Gheorghe no doubt remembers WELL!). The few other artists I remember from these shows were the Swingle Singers and very similar acts as well as Brazilian latter-day Bossa Nova tunes (with what to my young'un's ears sounded like puzzling, deliberately lifeless singalong plodding). And among the non-vocal items there may well have been some production that would be filed under "sophisticated elevator music". To the ears of this 14-to-15 year-old just getting seriously into music (though not at all the then current hit parade or rock "in crowd" stuff) the fare served there came across as utterly bizarre sounds, making me wonder who on earth would ever buy this and what the point of producing such music was anyway ... :D Oh well ... ;)

BTW, seeing these clips now, I now remember that back in the day I never would have guessed they were made up of only 1 female but 3 males. To the average listener they must have sounded more like 3 females and 1 male. And I remember now this is how I visualized them back then too.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

The idea of a Singers Unlimited TV show for teens on Sunday night in the 70s would be unthinkable here in the UK.

We would have more likely had T-Rex, Slade, Bay City Rollers, the Glitter creature or something from the Osmond/Cassidy corporations !

Edited by sidewinder

14 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

They probably were also part of the typical music served on a radio show on Sunday nights (taken over from Austrian radio, I think) called "Schlager für Fortgeschrittene" ("Pop music for avanced listeners") hosted by Gerhard Bronner (whom Gheorghe no doubt remembers WELL!).

Sure I remember him ! 

Before I got acquainted to jazz, I listened to stuff like Ö3 Hitparade or DiscÖ3, that was kid´s music than. we all listened to such stuff, but it all changed after I heard Miles an Mingus 

41 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Sure I remember him ! 

Before I got acquainted to jazz, I listened to stuff like Ö3 Hitparade or DiscÖ3, that was kid´s music than. we all listened to such stuff, but it all changed after I heard Miles an Mingus 

😇👹🥳 ....

I'm glad that they got help from all those cardboard androids up there on stage with them. Amazin' what you can do with technology, even back then.

At least someone cared enough to expose people to music like that, and it stayed with Georghe and Steve, even if I could understand young people being baffled by what was going on. They got some publicity on WRVR in NY, and Michael Bourne of BGO even named his show after them, though I don't know if he played their music.

The last interview with Puerling pretty much predicted what was going to happen to music.