Merge--Jack Wilkins

This is a nice album from the seemingly little-known guitarist Jack Wilkins.  I believe it goes back to 1977 and features Randy Brecker, Eddie Gomez, and Jack DeJohnette.  I had this one on vinyl (found it years ago), and I have not been able to replace it.  I have been able to listen online, and I think this version has an additional three tracks--long pieces spotlighting Michael Brecker.  

I don't know that much about Wilkens; I do have a Wes Montgomery tribute album where he appears on a couple of tracks.  He is keeping good company here. I like hearing Randy Brecker in straight-ahead settings.  Michael Brecker offers some sensitive work on the opening of "Invitation," but unfortunately the tune become an uptempo romp after that.

Edited by Milestones

I like Jack Wilkins.  I think Windows is his best work -- but his Chiaroscuro LPs are solid too.  (IIRC, the Chiaroscuro CD compiles two LPs.)

I've also enjoyed this Arabesque release:

Ni01NTQ1LmpwZWc.jpeg

I've also dug Wilkins' playing with singer Nancy Harrow.  Her excellent and under-appreciated album Anything Goes (Audiophile, 1979) features Wilkins (instead of a pianist) with Rufus Reid and Billy Hart:

MC04MjIyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Harrow & Wilkins also released a duo album -- Two's Company (Inner City, 1984) -- that's on my to-get list:

My0yMDQ0LmpwZWc.jpeg

I've never heard it (since it's not on the web, never been released digitally) -- but I bet it's good.  

Edited by HutchFan

As HutchFan mentioned, the CD Merge is a compilation of his two Chiaroscuro titles from 1977:

the original LP Merge:

NS04ODQzLmpwZWc.jpeg

and the follow-up, You Can't Live Without It

Mi01OTM0LmpwZWc.jpeg

Jack was an incredible guitarist, a great teacher and a really nice guy. His death last year after a long illness was a real blow. Do yourself a favor and check out his other recordings and search on Google for some great live performances.

Edited by sonnymax

sonnymax recommended "Merge" to me years ago and I am glad I picked it up. I still play it often. Time to play it again. I wish I got to see Jack play live. He was scheduled to play at a local club but ended up having to cancel. That's when I learned about his health issues. He had a rough time his last few years.

Here's another great date that was difficult to find:

MTYtMzA3Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

On the way back to my midtown hotel after a night of jazz, I walked by a small piano bar and heard some wonderful guitar playing. The place was nearly empty, but there was Jack playing a great chord melody solo. I introduced myself and we had a nice conversation. I mentioned finding this CD and he confessed that he didn't have a copy for himself. I mailed him the CD and wouldn't you know it, he remembered this story some 15 years later when I saw him in Boston. Again, a sweet guy and a monster talent.