RIP, John Pisano

sgcim

Very sad to hear. He was a part of the Chico Hamilton Quintet for years, and that was his playing in one of the greatest films ever made, "The Sweet Smell of Success" in all the club scenes.
He was a sideman on many jazz albums, and, brought jazz guitar to many clubs on the West Coast with his Guitar Nights. RIP, John.

Summer Nights is my favourite Joe Pass album because Pass plays it so freely (even more so than the famous For Django), but that's also because of John Pisano's solid backing.  A great artisan.  RIP.

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

I bet he made a nice piece of change for this one!

Rip

Did he write something on it?  Otherwise I don 't think he gets anything except his session fees. 

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yes, he wrote that tune. "Slick". It was on the TV special and on that album.

Then you're right: he probably did make a nice piece of change from the record.   IIRC Russ Freeman made enough money to retire after Mariah Carey recorded her version of The Wind.  (The retirement part isn't mentioned but here's a good story about it:  https://jazzresearch.com/russ-freeman-the-wind/.)

Edited by medjuck

John Pisano's death reminded me of a question I have had for a long time.

Why is the Fred Katz/Hal Gaylor/Johnny Pisano Decca album 4-5-6 Trio named that way?

Obviously cello = 4 and guitar = 6 but did Gaylor play a 5-string bass?