Vision Festival - NYC 5/25-31

Pete C

I think it's a pretty good lineup this year. I'll be there at least 2 or 3 nights. I'm especially looking forward to the Wednesday night lineup.

Ninth Vision Festival

AT The Center

268 Mulberry and Prince Street

May 25 through May 31, 2004

[Edited for current schedule]

SCHEDULE VISION NINE

Tuesday May 25

7:30 Joseph Jarman Opening Invocation

8:00 Marshall Allen and the Sun Ra Arkestra celebrates Marshall Allen's 80th Birthday: Marshall Allen alto saxophone flute EVI clarinet, Knoel Scott alto saxophone, Charles Davis tenor, Yaha Abdul-Majid tenor saxophone, Rey Scott baritone saxophone, Michael Ray trumpet vocals, Fred Adams trumpet, D Hotep guitar, Dave Davis trombone, Tyrone Hill trombone, Bill Davis bass, Art Jenkins vocals perc, Elson Nascimento Surdo - percussion, Luquman Ali drums

9:00 Gus Solomons jr dance, Adeena poet, Todd Nicholson bass

9:45 Khan Jamal Quintet: Khan Jamal vibes, Pheralyn Dove poet, Jemeel Moondoc sax, Roy Campbell trumpet, Dylan Taylor bass, Dwight James drums

10:45 James "Blood" Ulmer guitar, Jamaladeen Tacuma bass, Calvin Weston drums

Wednesday May 26

7:30 Mark Dresser bass, Ned Rothenberg woodwinds & shakuhachi, Michiyo Yagi koto, bass koto

8:30 Equal Interest: Joseph Jarman reeds, Leroy Jenkins violin, Myra Melford piano

9:30 Henry Grimes Trio: Henry Grimes bass, Marilyn Crispell piano, Andrew Cyrille drums

10:30 Fred Van Hove piano & Johannes Bauer trombone

Thursday May 27

7:30 Burnt Sugar The Arkestra Chamber: Greg Tate conductor - guitar, Lisala Beatty, Jerry Darkcloud & Jeremiah Griffin vocals, Satch Hoyt flute, Rene Akan & Thom Loubet guitar, Matana Roberts & Petre Radu Scafaru reeds, Vijay Iyer piano, Bruce Mack synthesizer, Lewis Barnes trumpet, Jason Dimatteo bass, Jared Nickerson electric bass, Chris Eddleton, Trevor Holder & Qusaim Naqvi drums

8:30 David Budbill poet, William Parker bass

9:30 Whit Dickey drums, Matthew Shipp piano, William Parker bass

10:30 Amiri & Amina Baraka Blue Ark: The Wordship: Amiri Baraka poet & vocals, Amina Baraka poet & vocals, Dwight West vocals, Rahman Herbie Morgan sax, Brian Smith bass, Vijay Iyer piano, Pheeroan akLaff drums

Friday May 28

7:30 Steve Dalachinsky poet, Ximena Garnica dance, Tim Barnes percussion

8:30 Rob Brown Collective: Rob Brown sax, Steve Swell trombone, Joe Morris bass, Luther Gray drums

9:30 William Parker Quartet & Patricia Nicholson PaNic: William Parker bass, Patricia Nicholson dance, Rob Brown sax, Treva Offutt dance, Lewis Barnes trumpet, Miriam Parker dance, Samir Chatterjee percussion, Kevin Bachman dance

10:30 Mixashawn Hemispheric Principles... the Legacy of J.A. Emidy solo for reeds, voice, strings

11:15 Kidd Jordan New Orleans Band with guest William Parker: Kidd Jordan tenor sax, Clyde Kerr trumpet, Darrell Levigne piano, Alvin Fielder drums

Saturday May 29

7:30 Reggie Workman Ashanti's Message - History in the Making: Reggie Workman bass, Gerry Hemmingway drums, Kevin Jones conga, Yayoi Ikawa piano, JD Parran bass clarinet & flute, John Beaty alto sax, Kyoko Kitamura vocals

8:30 Sabir Mateen Quintet: Sabir Mateen reeds, Raphe Malik trumpet, Raymond A. King piano, Jane Wang bass, Ravish Momin percussion

9:30 Milford Graves Trio, guest William Parker, Joe Rigby sax, Hugh Glover sax

10:30 Cooper-Moore Triptych Myth: Cooper-Moore piano & percussion, Tom Abbs bass, Chad Taylor drums, Moo Lohkenn guest vocals

11:30 Joe McPhee Quartet: Joe McPhee trumpet, sax, Harold E. Smith drums, Dominic Duval bass, Rosie Hertlein violin

Sunday May 30

5:00 A panel of artists discuss The Artist's Role in Waging Peace: David Budbill, William Parker, Dave Burrell, Kidd Jordan, Marilyn Sontag & Patricia Nicholson

7:30 Tri-Factor: Kahil El'Zabar percussion, Bluiett baritone sax, Billy Bang violin

8:30 Roy Campbell Jr Tazz: Roy Campbell Jr, trumpet, Andrew Bemkey piano, Chris Sullivan bass, Michael Thompson drums

9:30 Dave Burrell Echo/Peace Continuum: Dave Burrell piano, William Parker bass, Sabir Mateen reeds, Steve Lehman sax, William Hooker drums

10:30 Revolutionary Ensemble: Leroy Jenkins violin, Jerome Cooper drums, Sirone bass

Monday Memorial May 31 :: Dedicated to Bassists Wilber Morris & Peter Kowald ::

7:30 New York Skyscraper conducted by Butch Morris: Cornelius Dufallo & Rose Bartu violin, Michael Marcus clarinet, Nabate S. Isles trumpet, Reut Regev trombone, Salim Washington oboe, Steffany Griffin viola, Tim Price bassoon, Mark Taylor french horn, Okkyung Lee cello, Matt Moran vibes, Tom Abbs tuba, Mia Theodorakis harp, Shahzad Ismaily & Miguel Frasconi electronics, Andrea Parkins harp & others

8:30 Gunda Gottschalk violin, Xu Feng Xia guzheng

9:30 Gunter Baby Sommer drums, Connie Bauer trombone, Barre Philips bass

10:30 William Parker Bass Quartet with guest Charles Gayle reeds, bassists: William Parker, Henry Grimes, Sirone & Alan Silva

Schedule subject to change, for most recent information check for updates at our website.

Tickets - $25/night; 7Day Pass - $140

Advance sales Downtown Music Tel. 212-473-0043

email: dmg@downtownmusicgallery.com

Press inquiries, please contact Jim Eigo publicist@visionfestival.org.

All other inquiries: 212.696.6681 or info@visionfestival.org

Edited by Pete C

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I went to the opening night of Visonfest, and some hits, some misses. The first group on was the Ra-less Arkestra, complete with space costumes. THEY COMPLETELY ROCKED THE JOINT. The music they presented was Saturnian swing, Space jazz, whatever you want to call it, they swung VERY VERY HARD but kept a foot 'outside' at all times. I could also post this as an entry in the WOW thread, as it was a peak performance that transported me to a musical nirvana of 'inside/out' music.

Next up was a group that I was very glad to have missed most of their set. It was a collaboration with a bass player, dancer and poet. Maybe somebody liked it, but from my seat it was a colossal bore, the type of failure that is almost guaranteed when one attempts to make 'art' with a capital 'A'.

Following was the Khan Jamal quintet with a spoken word performer added. It's too bad the spoken word performer was not subtracted. Jamal's quintet was excellent, but the music was frequently undermined by the repetitive incantations of the spoken word performer. She repeated the same banal lyrics/poetry quite a bit, and hearing it again and again didn't make them any more interesting. She also seemed to have no idea when a player was finished soloing, so she cut in on some nice trumpet and vibes solos. Without her, I think the music was excellent.

More later, gotta go now...

Philly, I'm pasting the comments I made on Jazz COrner about that show below. I think we're pretty much in agreement. I'm sorry I only caught the tail end of the Arkestra.:

Unfortunately we only caught the last 10 minutes of the Sun Ra Arkestra, because what we did hear sounded great. I didn't mind missing Jarman's opening invocation. I can live without the chanting and jingling bells, even if it is a "beautiful, spiritual thing."

I pretty much ignored Gus Solomons who is one of those pseudo-contortionist dancers, and the silly British (I think) beatnick poetess with him.

I was very disappointed that Khan Jamal had a poet with him, as it was a nice lineup with Moondoc & Roy Campbell. But they basically played under the poet who hardly shut up. Typical Vision Festival agitprop poetry. First poem was about a "poor child of the suburban Negro Bourgeoisie, didn't know he was black, until he was caught driving while black." He gets his consciousness when he meets his brothers in prison who were also driving while black. Then she did the obligatory "I'm a woman" poem. Finally, a tribute to Odean Pope: "Odean, he's lean, he's clean, Odean, Odean..." When she wasn't finding every rhyme for Odean she was giving a prosaic litany of Pope's resume. And, of course, she recited everything in that "I'm a jazz musician too" rhythmic style.

The highlight was an acid funk set by Ulmer, Tacuma & Weston. Very "Band of Gypsies." There was some tension after Tacuma blew out an amp and had a running subtext argument with the sound man.

All right, I'll paste my Wednesday comments too. Equal Interest was actually the low point. I won't be back at Vision until Saturday. Tonight I'm catching Ron Horton (w/ Kimbrough, Malaby, Allison & Matt Wilson) @ Cornelia Street, and Friday I'm going to 55 bar for Dave Liebman/Ellery Eskelin quartet.

Last night was a mixed bag as far as success went, but the Grimes, Crispell, Cyrille set alone was worth the price of admission. Cyrille is a no-brainer--I've never seen him give a less than noteworthy performance. Crispell was absolutely gripping, playing a combination of the more lyrical side she's been mining with Paul Motian in recent years, as well as the more intense side that had formed the basis of her earlier style. And Grimes was great--dextrous, forceful and confident; I'd been hearing mixed reports since his comeback, and this was a happy confirmation of the good reports.

The first set, Rothenberg, Dresser & Yagi, was quite good, as they were when I had seen them a week earlier. The highlight was the excerpts from Dresser's "Outer Planets" suite, which requires a different tuning of koto & bass for each section.

The real dud was Equal Interest. In general the music wasn't especially compelling, though Leroy Jenkins was in fine form. The real crime was that Jarman chose to sing his silly "peace, love & Buddha" lyrics on about three tunes. Besides the ludicrous lyrics, the guy can't carry a tune. It was pathetic. Several JC folks walked out, and I kept asking folks "shouldn't he know better?" Of course the portion of the Vision audience for whom none of thes folks can do any wrong ate it up.

The Fred Van Hove/Johannes Bauer duo was not my thing. Bauer was basically all effects, no real "musical engagement" by my definition. Van Hove was OK, but nothing memorable, and after Crispell especially forgettable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Pete C

It's great that you guys enjoyed the shows you saw.

I checked the roster and decided to pass on it this time around. Most if not all of the local cats I saw many times at the Tonic already and just wasn't keen on seeing them again.

People I'd like to see weren't in the line-up.

Cecil Taylor

Steve Lacy

Jemeel Moondoc's band

George Russell

etc...