ODDBALL GADGETS, HOBBIES AND FADS

I was thinking the other day about an alarm clock I got for Christmas in the early 70s. It was marketed as a "digital" clock, but was really a mechanical device where the digits changed by flopping over rolodex-style. Anyone remember these? Plus it was noisy, but it seemed cool at the time.

The alarm was one of those jarring loud buzzers that jolted you out of sleep. I like my current alarm much better- one of those that starts soft and gradually gets louder.

I also remember buying those cheap styrofoam/balsa gliders. And my little gas-powered dune buggy (you know, with one of those Cox .049 or whatever engines). No radio control, you just started it up and let it go. And it had one of those purple "metalflake" paint jobs. Groovy.

I also used to build model cars obsessively. I'd sit for hours in front of all that glue and paint- I expect I fried part of my brain. Oh well........ :wacko:

And in high school jazz band concerts we used to wear "dashikis". At that time it was cool- remember the Thad/Mel band attire from the 70s?

Anyone have memories of interesting low-tech gadgets, hobbies, nostalgia, etc. from yesteryear?

I was thinking the other day about an alarm clock I got for Christmas in the early 70s. It was marketed as a "digital" clock, but was really a mechanical device where the digits changed by flopping over rolodex-style. Anyone remember these? Plus it was noisy, but it seemed cool at the time.

The alarm was one of those jarring loud buzzers that jolted you out of sleep.

ahem... I still have mine. Got it when I was about 10. Still works. I use it as my "second alarm that wakes me up from snoozing after my first alarm goes off". Nice thing about it is that it doesn't skip a beat when I have power surges whereas my digital one just blinks.

My third alarm is a really cool travel alarm from The Sharper Image.

Three alarms? :huh:

Don't even ask. ^_^

The alarm was one of those jarring loud buzzers that jolted you out of sleep.

I had that clock- got mine in the early 70's too (mine had a white case). I got rid of it over 25 years ago, and I STILL can't get over how much I STILL hate that goddamned thing!

Gadgets... did anybody else have one of those little reel-to-reel tape recorders for kids? The reels were about 3" in diameter, as I recall. I had two of them, both Japanese I think. That's the first thing my friends got into when they came over to play. Man, will people make fools of themselves with one of those... kind of like karaoke, but worse! :D

Fads... the first thing that comes to mind is a pair of pants I had back in the early 70's... red and green plaid... corduroy... bell bottoms... with cuffs. :huh: Otherwise, I never got sucked into fads... except for my other pair of plaid bell bottoms, that is.

Jim, I remember those. My "outfit of shame" was a pair of saddle shoe style stacks worn with burgandy elephant bell cords and a wild print polyester shirt. With ridiculously wide collar, of course. And I had the nerve to make fun of polyseter leisure suits? :wacko: Combine the elephant bells with hours of watching "Kung Fu", and I was informed that every kick allowed full display of my underwear...

In the late 1960s I bought my first telephone answering machine. It physically lifted the receiver off the hook and held it over a speaker. One advantage was that one's message started as soon as the phone was picked up, which made it easy to trick people into identifying themselves. The worst thing was that if one wished to pretend not being home, one had to shut of TV, stereo, etc., and sit in absolute silence until the machine put the receiver back on the hook!

Going back even farther (to 1948), my first tape recorder was a device, with very small reels, that sat on top of my turntable and was driven by it. Of course the speed changed as one reached the end of the tape, so it couldn't be played on an ordinary machine. The machine was a Danish Magnavox, and it used any radio as an amp.

Edited by Christiern

I was thinking the other day about an alarm clock I got for Christmas in the early 70s. It was marketed as a "digital" clock, but was really a mechanical device where the digits changed by flopping over rolodex-style. Anyone remember these?

Yep, I even remember where it came from......the Lechmere up in Danvers, Mass.

One advantage was that one's message started as soon as the phone was picked up, which made it easy to trick people into identifying themselves. The worst thing was that if one wished to pretend not being home, one had to shut of TV, stereo, etc., and sit in absolute silence until the machine put the receiver back on the hook!

Why do I have this mental image of Chris sitting on the sofa, G&T in hand, giggling away in the dark with a hand firmly clasped over his mouth to muffle the laughter? :g

Quisp vs. Quake...............your thoughts?

Old big GI Joe (pre-hair)vs. new tiny GI Joe.........

Major Matt Mason..............

Incredible Edibles/Thingmaker*.............

Sno-cone machine*............

Strombecker 1/32 scale slot cars...........

Mouse Trap game*............

Operation game*.............

Rock'em Sock'em Robots*.............

*these are things I was totally jonesin' for and never got. :angry:

I apologize to our international friends for these obscure references to lame 70s American pop culture..... :mellow:

Edited by Free For All

I was thinking the other day about an alarm clock I got for Christmas in the early 70s. It was marketed as a "digital" clock, but was really a mechanical device where the digits changed by flopping over rolodex-style. Anyone remember these?

Yeah, I had one of those for a few years. Ugly damn thing; don't miss it.