Mr. Shing-A-Ling?

Chrome

Does anyone have this Lou Donaldson release? It got a pretty listless review at AMG, but the lineup looks first rate. I'd be interested in hearing some other opinions.

Blue Mitchell - Trumpet

Jimmy Ponder - Guitar

Lou Donaldson - Sax (Alto)

Idris Muhammad - Drums

Leo Morris - Drums

Dr. Lonnie Smith - Organ

I like it too, play it when doing chores, stuff goes faster that way and it's much less boring.

I hear ya', John, but this reminds me of a "jazz appreciation" class I took at NT taught by Leon Breeden, no fan of anything "progressive" if it wasn't associated w/Stan Kenton. :rolleyes:

He played Dolphy's "You Don't Know What Love Is" from LAST DATE and prefaced it by going onandonandon about how "abstract" and "difficult" it was, how you couldn't follow the melody, blahblahblah, and finally, just before he stopped pontificating and actually played the record, he offered one last "insight", delivered in an OH so worried tone:

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is NOT something that your average housewife is going to listen to while hanging up the laundry!"

I kid you not.

Edited by JSngry

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is NOT something that your average housewife is going to listen to while hanging up the laundry!"

:g

I am not your average housewife then... been hanging up laundry yesterday to the sounds of Von Freeman...