Phineas Newborn - PHINEAS IS GENIUS

Dmitry

I just sampled a whole bunch of Phineas' 1960's Contemporary output (on bn.com), and DAMN!!! :excited::excited::excited:

How did I ever not cross paths with this guy before???? :blink::blink::wacko::wacko::wacko:

I mean, I've heard his name a time or two, but looking now at his AMG bio, it looks like he didn't work as a sideman much at all - and that's often how I find out about people.

Also, I'm pretty passionate about jazz between 1963 and 1969, and Mr. Newborn hardly recorded at all during that time - so there's perhaps another reason I've never heard him before.

I have been listening to Phineas as a sideman on Howard McGhee's, Maggie's Back In Town. This is a really good set and there are several tunes where it is hard to say whose set it really is. Phineas just smokes.

My only problem with Phineas is that sometimes I think he sounds too good. He almost sounds bored at times. I can't think of a pianist who is technically any better. Great player.

Edited by Morganized

Does anyone have the Roulette sides, reissued on a TOCJ. I heard these briefly when they came out on a vinyl twofer, wasn't that impressed and disposed of the record (lousy pressing in any event). I'd like the chance to hear those tracks again.

There are three available on Fresh Sound /RCA-BMG

Phineas ' Rainbow

Fabulous Phineas

Jamaica

The first two are especially good.

As already mentioned, these three Contempory titles are great -

The Great Jazz Piano Of PN

Harlem Blues

A World Of Piano !

I'm ashamed to say I don't know a god damn thing about Phineas Newborn.  (OK, I just read the AMG bio - so I do kinda know that much now.)

Where would one start???

RT, all the the Phineas you can find is great, so don't hesitate to buy.

I started with A World Of Piano.

I would hight recommend the sideman date he did with Edwards and McGhee mentioned above by BFrank.

Edited by catesta