Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

See the source image

I used to have this filed under M, since Misha Mengelberg's name is listed first and he did the arrangements. Listening this time, it sounded so much like a cooperative effort with Herbie Nichols' compositions to the fore, that I'm filing it after Mr. Nichols' own recordings.
(Not that any of this means anything to anyone other than myself. :))

17 minutes ago, paul secor said:

I used to have this filed under M, since Misha Mengelberg's name is listed first and he did the arrangements. Listening this time, it sounded so much like a cooperative effort with Herbie Nichols' compositions to the fore, that I'm filing it after Mr. Nichols' own recordings.

I've thought about that sort of thing many times. Out in the "normal world," it might not mean much to folks. 'Round here, on the other hand, the finer points of collection filing are something that many of us ponder, I'm sure. ;) 

Blue Note's Three Decades of Jazz (1939-1969), Volume 1 (Blue Note Liberty). A fine 2LP anthology from the 1959-69 decade, except that, there is not a single mention of the names, Alfred Lion, Reid Miles, Francis Wolf, or Rudy Van Gelder in the album's credits, or in the liner notes (by Leonard Feather).

Wes Montgomery, Fusion! (Riverside, Orpheum)

MJT Plus Three (Veejay)

6 hours ago, paul secor said:

See the source image

Terrific recording indeed ....

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

What a great cover ....

The booklet mentions that the woman pictured is Ian Carr's wife who died suddenly in 1967. Very sad

34 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

My copy has turned out to be an actual Christmas Day present from my wife. Can't wait to hear it. At least, I hope it was in that box that came in the other day. :)

That's really nice. Christmas Day listening fest!! I hope it lives up to expectations. 

'Shades Of Blue' certainly sounded lovely today but I'm no audiophile (and have equipment to reflect that) so no real judge of the SQ for those that are.  Sidewinder gave it a :tup upthread.  The music is, as we already know, fabulous.

On 17/12/2018 at 6:14 PM, mjazzg said:

The booklet mentions that the woman pictured is Ian Carr's wife who died suddenly in 1967. Very sad

That's really nice. Christmas Day listening fest!! I hope it lives up to expectations. 

'Shades Of Blue' certainly sounded lovely today but I'm no audiophile (and have equipment to reflect that) so no real judge of the SQ for those that are.  Sidewinder gave it a :tup upthread.  The music is, as we already know, fabulous.

Yes, Margaret Carr is on the cover - a striking photo of her. Tragically she died post child-birth I think. The full story is in the Alan Shipton bio of Ian Carr.

Glad you got the set and are enjoying it ! The pressing of ‘Shades’ is excellent and other than a bit of feed through echo (no big deal) at the start, can’t fault it. Shame that the cover photo isn’t as crisp as the original or with the same laminate but - what the heck, it aint 1964 ! :)

Hopefully nobody has got duplicate Phase IIIs or Dusk Fire..

On 17/12/2018 at 6:47 PM, clifford_thornton said:

I should read the booklet. I didn't know that.

You got a copy then ?

Edited by sidewinder