• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dire Straits:  On Every Street

Billy Bragg & Wilco:  Mermaid Avenue

Blakey:  Live at Birdland BN 1521

Billy Bragg? Wow, I thought was out of fashion!! I love this man, I heard him everytime he came to Italy. :tup

Wolff, I never saw you in the political forum, but it seems you don't dislike Bragg for his political ideas ;)

Edited by porcy62

c2592025417.jpg

Prestige Blue Label, South Bergenfield address, Van Gelder in the deadwax- sweet :) . Terrific playing here, especially, "I Can't Get It Started," where Booker really DOES get it going.

f57453qv18p.jpg

Bob Marley and The Wailers- "Burnin" Island Records. "I Shot the Sheriff" as it should be heard.

e76338f65ma.jpg

Canned Heat- "Living the Blues" - creditable blues/rock with a pschedlic flavoring. I was boogieing :)

c036432sp40.jpg

Sonny Rollins- "Freedom Suite"- Riverside/OJC.

Dire Straits:  On Every Street

Billy Bragg & Wilco:  Mermaid Avenue

Blakey:  Live at Birdland BN 1521

Billy Bragg? Wow, I thought was out of fashion!! I love this man, I heard him everytime he came to Italy. :tup

Wolff, I never saw you in the political forum, but it seems you don't dislike Bragg for his political ideas ;)

I did not know he had political ideas.

Do not pay much attention to an artists political side, just their art.

Tough to ignore Bragg's politics with overt references to Mao's Great Leap Forward, songs with titles of Thatcherites and Take Down the Union Jack, and the acceptance of his plan for reform in the House of Lords, etc... All that said, I'm a huge Bragg fan and recommend the bio Still Suitable for Miners in addition to his catalog.

Favorites include Back to Basics, Workers Playtime, William Bloke, and the Mermaid Avenue sessions with Wilco.

Edited by spinlps

Some old favorites today:

AM:

Ella at Duke's Place (thin vinyl, later pressing, but sounds great)

Ella In Berlin (thick vinyl, probably first pressing)

PM:

Oliver Nelson - Blues & Abstract Truth (Impulse/ABC - rainbow label, but sounds incredible)

Lee Morgan - Search for The New Land (NY address stereo)

Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring (Toshiba/EMI - beginning not to like these EMI's, very cold sound to these ears. Killer session, though)

Wynton Kelly - Piano Interpretations (Toshiba/EMI - to see if I felt the same way as above about the mastering - I did)

Hey Wolff, was that Dire Straits another Gold Masterdisk? ;):D

Ha...ROTFLMO NO, but the guy ended up sending LP back and I returned his $$.

He sure was a weird one. :D But, all ended up OK. You need a Gold Masterdisk? :)

My only Bragg LP is Mermaids and that deals with someone elses politics on occasion.

Some old favorites today:

AM:

Ella at Duke's Place (thin vinyl, later pressing, but sounds great)

Any initials in the dead wax? Robert Ludwig(at Masterdick :D ) did some amazing work on some Verve titles back in the 70's-80's that look cheap, but are nice sounding. He did a few Book Of The Month Club reissues that I wish I had more of.

Listening to:

Dorham: Whistle Stop..Nice CONN LP from a few years ago.

Leroy Vinnegar: Leroy Walks...Nice OJC of this Contemporary title.

Hank Mobley 'Reach Out' BN Liberty pressing.

A teutonic beauty? :P

Nah - no 'vorsprung' on this one ! :D This one is a US Liberty, must be a first pressing. Easily the best sounding version of the session I have ever heard, suprisingly sounds better than the superb Toshiba LP I bought from Hiroshi :huh: . No contest of course the domestic CD B-) . Only negative - slight cutout on the sleeve. I've always liked this session for Woody Shaw but some of Mobley's subtleties/inflexions come out much clearer and George Benson's guitar sounds very full-bodied and full of gusto. My opinion of the date has gone up as an output of the listening pleasure received...

Edited by sidewinder

Spent the afternoon listening to records. My listening used to be 50% classical, 50% jazz, but over the last year, it went to 100% jazz, and, more recently, it's split between jazz and rock. I only listen to classical at work. Don't know why and I expect it will swing back at some point. So I decided to listen to a little bit of classical to get things started:

AMER-90153.jpg

Respighi - "The Birds" and "Brazilian Impressions" - Dorati, cond.

Mercury Living Presence, SR90153

AMER-90235.jpg

Liszt, "Hungarian Rhapsodies 2,3"--Enesco, "Roumanian Rhapsodies, 1,2" - Doratic, cond. Mercury Living Presence SR90235.

e353403wrwh.jpg

Boioker Little, Julian Priester, George Coleman, Donald Friedman, Reggie Workman, Pete LaRoca. Bethlehem/Sony Japan.

Then: Norman Granz Jam Session, The Charlie Parker Sides Verve,

2 LPs. I would suppose this is on the new Granz jam session box set? I've heard the sound on that set is quite good, which doesn't surprise me as the sound on this set is excellent.

d666622607x.jpg

Warner. Neil can hit the right lyric at times:

"How I lost my friends I still don't understand

They had the best selection, they were

posoned with protection

There was nothing that they needed,

they had nothing left to find

They were lost in rock formations or became

park bench mutations"

g19028ezjgw.jpg

Chambers Brothers, "Now!" Vault Records. I saw the Chambers Brothers circa 1968. I can't remember if they were opening for The Doors, or The Doors were opening for them. It could very well have been the latter, as the CB's had a huge hit, "Time Has Come Today." That was a night.

Nice selection of LPs !  B-)

Why thank you. I just stagger about and yank LPs off the shelves. I have only a vague idea at this point as to what I have, or what I am going to listen to. :P

let me add, by way of example: I have been trying to find my copy of Ayler's "Spiritual Unity" (reissue) for a week- no dice.

Edited by Leeway

I'm still amazed that Ben Webster can embellish a melody and take me to places I've never been before.

Yep!

Curtis Fuller: Two Bones (King) Nice little drop out on the 3rd track.

Jewel: Spirit

Jewel: Pieces Of You....I know :) Selling the LP's, so making burns just in case a friend likes her.

I will admit to liking the unaccompanied duet, Jewel and her mother, of "This Little Bird". Spooky real and lifelike on my stereo.

Edited by wolff

Recent haul including

Gerry Mulligan Sextet_Line for Lyons- Mercury Interantional 1965 ( actually seems to have a number of quartet items on it)

Bud Shank- Plays todays movies ( approx. title) WP-Liberty- some complete dross but not as commercial as I'd expected

Houston Person- Very Personal Muse - Totally gross cover art but nice playing inc. Fuller, Walton etc. Very good sound from RVG.

Some fine Turrentine:

blue%20note4%20024_thumb.jpg

Nice lineup: Thad Jones, Cedar Walton, Buster Williams, Mickey Roker

Then:

Horace Silver- "Blowin the Blues Away"

blue%20note%20218_thumb_1.jpg

Blue label, black "b" pressing. Part of the great RVG vinyl vs CD comparo! :D

Some rather obscure rock:

c905965a6wv.jpg

Cat Mother and the All Night Newsboys. "The Streeth Giveth" This band was associated with Hendrix. Too bad Jimi didn't play on their records ^_^

Edited by Leeway

I saw the Chambers Brothers circa 1968. I can't remember if they were opening for The Doors, or The Doors were opening for them. It could very well have been the latter, as the CB's had a huge hit, "Time Has Come Today." That was a night.

I saw them open for the Doors, so that's probably what you saw, too.

Didn't Jimi produce Cat Mother? I remember something about their association, too. Then there's always "Eire Apparent", the Hendrix produced psychedelic disk that sounds like Jimi is all over it. But it might just be the band cloning his sound.

c00002x00ec.jpg

Horace Silver- "Blowin the Blues Away"

Blue label, black "b" pressing. Part of the great RVG vinyl vs CD comparo! :D

When the Dark Knight and the Wolff do not see eye to eye a boring thread gets 400 hits!!! LMAO

Joe Sample: Rainbow Seeker... MFSL pressing heading to another home, so I'm burning it.

Indigo Girls: Self Titled

Indigo Girls: Swamp Ophelia