Big City vs. Small City living.

I would rather live in...  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For some reason, in the past week I've had long discussions about Big City living versus living in a small town. Mostly, it's from people who have moved to L.A. and just cannot make the adjustment to the size and diversity of the place. Now, for me, I have always loved living in a large city, and have most of my life. The only time when I wasn't in a large city was when I had to move for about three years to a small town in Washington called Stanwood, pop. 1,800. The people were great but there was NOTHING TO DO! I had to make the one hour drive into Seattle to feel close to city life. There is something exciting about large cities that just adds a certain quality to my life. So, mark me down for city life!

Edited by Matthew

Big City versus Small Town, makes no difference to me. I've lived in both and find good/bad qualities about both. As long as I have a steady in-flow of money (from a job), access to the world via the internet and cable TV, and a few good friends, it's all the same.

On the one hand...

One need never leave the

confines of New York to get all the greenery one wishes--I can't

even enjoy a blade of grass unless I know there's a subway

handy, or a record store or some other sign that people do not

totally regret life.

--Frank O'Hara, "Meditations in an

Emergency"

On the other hand, I love living in Bloomington--a small, friendly, pretty town that also offers a world of culture--much of it free or very cheap--because of Indiana University. (The School of Music alone gives us so much in the way of classical and jazz performances.) In some ways it's the best of both worlds; the owner of a local bookstore frequently tells me how he would have to pay several thousand dollars a year and take a cab or the subway to attend performances which he sees for free here (and to which he usually walks).

Still, I see the jazz listings in NYC papers and groan...

Side note: I just learned today that Adam Herbert, IU's new president, is Jason Moran's uncle. How cool is that? Hope it increases our chances for bringing Moran here as a leader--he came through with Greg Osby a couple of years ago and pretty much stole the show.

Edited by ghost of miles

I can't really answer the question, because I've lived my entire life in a major metropolitan area. It was far less populated when I came along 48 years ago, but it was never a "small town" during my lifetime. Of course I've visited many a small town, been to places without a lot of city life (eg Hawaii), and even spent considerable time in the wilderness of the Sierra and the Cascades, but I still don't know what it would be like to actually live full-time away from a large population center. I've often wondered about it, and I think I would (if I was single and had complete freedom to choose) get along pretty well away from "civilization". The biggest reason: I'm a homebody.

For cultural-commodities freaks (i.e., most of this board), I wonder how much of a difference the Internet has made. You can now live in the middle of nowhere and order books, CDs, DVDs, etc., without any problem--no need to drive to a Borders or what have you. You can also "socialize" to some extent in places like these. Doesn't really replace the real thing, of course (though for some I suppose it does), but the whole phenomenon might make country living more palatable for a few folks--a way to stay connected while being away from it all. I've often fantasized about living on some rugged, isolated part of the Olympic Penisula, but I know I'd still be hitting Organissimo and ordering music, films, and literature like a madman from time to time.

I start a new job in the country on Monday. It's a 45 minute drive away from the city (Raleigh) from where I live, which is another 45 minutes from the city.

I prefer the relaxed living of the country. I definitely prefer to avoid the driving habits of urban dwellers, although the country drivers around here are pretty bad too.

I've lived in the city, the suburbs, small towns and the country. My least favorite is small towns. Nothing to do, and the nosiest people in the world (hey, they have to entertain themselves some how!) Next up: the city. Too crowded, noisy, dirty, but at least you're never bored! Runner up: the country. Peaceful, green and alive. Not for those who can't stand their own thoughts, however. Best: the much maligned suburbs. Quiet enough to get your thoughts in order, but close enough to the city for some action whenever you need it. But keep in mind that #4 is so far from the others that City/suburbs/country should be considered a tie for first with small town waaaaaaaay back....

...My least favorite is small towns.  Nothing to do, and the nosiest people in the world (hey, they have to entertain themselves some how!)....

Yeah, that was my experience also. Everyone always getting in your business. Whenever I went shopping at the local store, at least thirty minutes was added just having different people stop and talk with me about "what's going on" with other peoples lives.

Edited by Matthew

I've lived in both and I prefer the small town life. It just agrees with me. Both the city and small town life have their drawbacks and amongs the drawbacks here in Pagosa are people who gossip and spread lies about you. When you have serious situations like big forest fires the rumormongering that goes on can be criminally irresponsible. The lack of goos restaurants can be a pisser too.

That being said I prefer the small town life-it just goes easier on me. A river runs through Pagosa Springs and when I have time I like to hang out by that river. It gives me a sense of peace that you can't possibly buy. Also, people while they can get in your buisness to an annoying degree,do care about you more in a place like this and they're more willing to help you out. It's the first place I've ever lived that I didn't feel like a stranger.

If I really need a culture and music fix I can always go down the road. Still all things change and I can't say that I'll stay here the rest of my life. If I was going to move it would preferrably a college town with a cool vibe and a great cultural scene. Until I find that or I just have to get the hell out Pagosa Springs works just fine for me.

One of the things I love about Bloomington, Chris, is that I'm likely to run into several people I know when I take a walk downtown. It's just big enough that not everybody knows your business, but that running into a friend isn't at all uncommon. I'm sure others have that experience in urban neighborhoods that have their own sense of identity (Chicago, for instance, which seems full of "villes" unto themselves), but it's a routine part of life here for which I'm grateful.

One of the things I love about Bloomington, Chris, is that I'm likely to run into several people I know when I take a walk downtown. It's just big enough that not everybody knows your business, but that running into a friend isn't at all uncommon.

Bloomington isn't good to lead a double life then (poll suggestion: do you lead a double life?).

Sounds like the best of both worlds Ghost. I really try hard to keep my buisness off the street but that's awful tough here. It's part of the irritation as well as part of the charm of this town. They seem more forgiving of silly crap that you might do here even though I-er ahem!!! don't do that much!!!! :lol:

I've lived in SF (I grew up in the tenderlion), LA, Portland (went to Reed College for three years), and NYC. In order of preference, I'd rate them as

1) NYC

2) SF (A distant second)

3) LA (such a distant third it really deserves to be more like tenth)

4) Portland (this one rates so low it really doesn't deserve a number)

So I guess I prefer big, dense, fast cities over small cities like SF, but I'd prefer a beautiful, slow small city like SF over a gross, ugly, superficial, sprawling city like LA, yet I prefer even LA to Portland. That town and I *really* didn't get along.

Yeah, that was about a half mile south of where I grew up. I'm not too sure how long it's been there - to tell you the truth I had to look up the address just now. Valerie Solanis (the woman who shot Andy Warhol) lived about a block from me, Margaret Cho (the comedian) grew up more or less around the corner from me, and I was within convenient walking distance of the Mitchell Brothers theatre :rolleyes: and the city's primary transsexual prostitution strip on O'Farrell street. I was not an innocent child.

BTW, when I go back there now I'm really shocked at how gentrified my old neighborhood has become. It was really gritty back in the day - even by daylight you had to be aware of the people around you. That's pretty much were the drug fiends went to hang out when they were *really* desperate. I have to say, a little gentrification isn't always a bad thing.

Edited by J Larsen

Having lived in both, I need to be in a city...otherwise I go stir crazy, my ADD flares up, and I start wandering around muttering to myself! That being said, there are a lot of cities that used to be considered "small" that are really rising in the ranks as far as restaurants, music, culture, etc., while retaining their small physical size/layout. Portland comes to mind, as discussed above...but when I left Portland in 1989, believe me, you did NOT want to live there. B-o-r-i-n-g. When I go back to visit, I'm astounded at the number of restaurants, wine bars, clubs, etc. that seem to be opening on a regular basis...and the people are generally nicer than those in Philadelphia, too...hmmmmmmmmmmm..... <_<

I'd imagine a UK big city would be a small town in US terms! Most rural/small town areas of the UK are not far from a big city...unless you live in Thurso!

I lived in Nottingham (c.250 000) for ten years. I liked living near the city centre, enjoying all the amenities. But then found I really wasn't using them all that much.

When it came to buying a house I moved to a small town in north Nottinghamshire (Worksop, 40 000) - houses much cheaper! Now I have the joy of a small, sleepy town where no-one knows anyone so there's no nosiness! I have nice countryside around me. And I'm an hour away from three major cities. It takes an effort to get out to them in the evening for events but every now and then I summon the energy.

So my vote goes for small town (not very far from big cities)!

Edited by Bev Stapleton

I'm a Big City man. Born and lived in Paris with very few exceptions. Love this city. Would (and will) not live anywhere else.

My wife comes from Bordeaux and has lived her non-married life in small cities. She likes Paris but would love to move to a much smaller place.

This creates some problems. I try to accomodate this and take her to the southern France region she loves (and I like) off and on.

But whenever I stay for several weeks outside Paris, I long for the city and soon count the day when I return there!

I live all my life in a relatively big city: Tel-Aviv, and I like it. In the past I spent one year in Texas: 3 month in San Antonio and all the rest in El-Paso. El-Paso is a small city in the middle of nowhere and a very boring place (but you can always cross the border to Juarez…). In general, I prefer the big cities over the small ones.

I grew up in LA suburbs, and I think I prefer living in the suburbs of a big city. Life is quieter, and if you want the big city, it's close and accessible. I lived in some of the busiest parts of Hong Kong for a time, and the noise (mainly from construction, which never seems to end there) really got on my nerves after a few months. It was great having so many restaurants and stores close by, though.