Charles Lloyd Corner

connoisseur series500

I can't think of any other artist of advanced age doing more remarkable work, both recordings and live performances, than Charles Lloyd.  Maybe the late Randy Weston, but his records in his last decade or so were less frequent and harder to find than Lloyd's.

I need to go back and spend some serious time with Passin' Thru, because this strikes my ears as one fine live record.  The second album with The Marvels, Vanished Gardens, is also quite impressive, with the very effective presence of Lucinda Williams on half of the tracks.

While he has largely preferred the quartet format for his entire long career, Lloyd certainly does other groupings at times and incorporates influences from everywhere--eastern, rock, folk, country.  

Edited by Milestones

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/3/2019 at 8:29 AM, Milestones said:

I can't think of any other artist of advanced age doing more remarkable work, both recordings and live performances, than Charles Lloyd.  Maybe the late Randy Weston, but his records in his last decade or so were less frequent and harder to find than Lloyd's.

I need to go back and spend some serious time with Passin' Thru, because this strikes my ears as one fine live record.  The second album with The Marvels, Vanished Gardens, is also quite impressive, with the very effective presence of Lucinda Williams on half of the tracks.

While he has largely preferred the quartet format for his entire long career, Lloyd certainly does other groupings at times and incorporates influences from everywhere--eastern, rock, folk, country.  

Joe McPhee

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...