The Bar-B- Que Pit

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Free, did you smoke anything this weekend? smoking-smiley-5431.gif

I've been out of town and am working for the next couple weeks, so it will be awhile before I officially christen R2D2.

But to answer your question, yes, I did smoke something. :g

In the meantime, check out this site I recently discovered. Breakfast meats deluxe. :excited:

Nueske's

Nice! 143.jpg

Finally going to christen the new smoker tomorrow!

Pork shoulder (just rubbed it down w/pepper, smoked paprika, turbinado (raw) sugar, dry mustard, salt and cayenne pepper and put it to bed for the night) will go on for about 6 hours or so, w/hickory and pecan for smoking. It will be the first time I've used this smoker, I think the results will improve as the smoker gets a little "funkier".

Hopefully pulled pork sammich w/cole slaw on top tomorrow pm. I also made a batch of mustard-based Carolina-style BBQ sauce. It's simmering right now and smells mighty fine.

I'm looking forward to an all-day grill project, it'll give me a chance to listen to some recent Mosaic purchases.

The only problem is it will be way more food than I can eat. Perhaps a delivery to the FSU music office will be in order on Wednesday........

how is R2D2 holding up?

It's doing great. I think the results will improve as it gets "seasoned". Previous smokers I've tried (Brinkman mostly) had poor air circulation- the coals sat in a bed of ash. This one has a much better design, the ashes fall through a grate so the coals don't suffocate.

Current meat temp: 140

Yes, it came out very good. Nice crust outside and very tender inside- the mop kept it moist. It shredded beautifully.

I put it on a bun w/some cole slaw on top.

I think next time I'll tweek the rub recipe a bit- the one I used was a little peppery, and I think I'll use brown sugar.

Overall a very satifactory first effort on the new smoker. :tup

Yes, it came out very good. Nice crust outside and very tender inside- the mop kept it moist. It shredded beautifully.

I put it on a bun w/some cole slaw on top.

I think next time I'll tweek the rub recipe a bit- the one I used was a little peppery, and I think I'll use brown sugar.

Overall a very satifactory first effort on the new smoker. :tup

I'm a big fan of using brown sugar as a major component of a barbecue rub.

When doing ribs I use a simple brown sugar, kosher salt, and black pepper rub.

I've had a rack of pork ribs on the grill for about 2 1/2 hours. Just added another smoke pouch and going to let them go another hour.

I used Neely's rub of paprika, onion powder, and brown sugar but added some black pepper and a pinch of kosher salt as well.

• 2 weeks later...