The Bar-B- Que Pit

Finally, clear skies!

Grilled chicken, asparagus & corn, accompanied by gin & tonic(s) and the just-arrived HRS sessions. Not a bad end to the day IIMSSM.

EDIT: BTW, grilled corn dressed w/butter and parmesan is quite tasty.

Have you tried corn with mayonnaise? Put on some mayo, cayenne pepper, cumin and some salt. I was skeptical at first but I tried it and I love it!!!

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally, clear skies!

Grilled chicken, asparagus & corn, accompanied by gin & tonic(s) and the just-arrived HRS sessions. Not a bad end to the day IIMSSM.

EDIT: BTW, grilled corn dressed w/butter and parmesan is quite tasty.

Have you tried corn with mayonnaise? Put on some mayo, cayenne pepper, cumin and some salt. I was skeptical at first but I tried it and I love it!!!

I've seen that done and heard good things about it. My lady doesn't like mayo so I've never tried it. I suppose I could do it and just not say anything.

I do the butter and parmigiano thing though. Melt the butter with a little olive oil. :tup

Edited by catesta

• 1 month later...

Got my Texas BBQ itinerary hooked-up:

Monday - Sonny Bryan's in Dallas

Wednesday - Black's in Lockhart

Thursday - Iron Works in Austin

I'm psyched.

Extreme jealousy here. <_<

Have fun! :excited:

If you can get to the Salt Lick in Driftwood (Austin hill country) I think it would also be worth your while.

I just bought a chimney charcoal starter today

Some buddies have one and I like how it works without using lighter fluid and the coals are ready in 15-20 minutes

They're great. You can use newspaper- I use little paraffin cubes. Nice to avoid lighter fluid completely.

• 2 weeks later...

Friday! Time for a cooking project.

Finished brining a turkey breast, it's now in the smoker being gently embraced by applewood smoke. To be served with asparagus and garlic mashed potatoes.

I've become a fan of the brining process- it really makes a juicier product. I use water, kosher salt, brown sugar (or molasses) and seasonings (I like Old Bay, sometimes I'll use Tony Chachere's). I don't use quite as much salt as most recipes call for.

Damn it smells good out there!

Now if the rain just holds off for awhile...

Edited by Free For All

My Missus wanted to buy a bbq in the late spring of this year, hearing weather forecasters saying it was going to be a sensational summer. I just stayed quiet and she never managed to make up her mind which one to get or where we were going to keep it.

And the summer was a washout. :D

Actually a pity, because we've got a nice little herb garden with all sorts of stuff that can be shoved on things meaty.

MG

One gadget from which I've gotten good use is the wireless temperature probe w/remote. You set the desired target temperature and the remote beeps when it's done. No more overcooking and no need to continually lift the lid to manually check the meat temp. I have a wired one for use in the oven, but the wireless is great for the grill and smoker.

Turkey is at 170, about ten more degrees and it's done. :party:

One gadget from which I've gotten good use is the wireless temperature probe w/remote. You set the desired target temperature and the remote beeps when it's done. No more overcooking and no need to continually lift the lid to manually check the meat temp. I have a wired one for use in the oven, but the wireless is great for the grill and smoker.

Turkey is at 170, about ten more degrees and it's done. :party:

Plus, when I had the flu it came in handy. The probe caused a bit of discomfort, but it seemed to be accurate.

So, who's coming over for dinner? :excited:

• 6 months later...

It's time.

GRILL BABY GRILL!

Finally, time to get to the first project for the season: slow smoked boston butt.....pulled and served on a bun w/slaw (with Gates BBQ sauce).

Rainy for the next few days, hopefully I'll do it on Thursday or so.

Come on down for a sammich y'all!

• 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I have sworn off my gas grill for now. Late summer I bought a Weber Silver and a chimney and haven't turned back. Direct, indirect, smoke... fantastic results.

My Weber Kettle BBQ is a charcoal workhorse.

Steaks taste better than what you get in the restaurant.

Listening to some blues and grubbin on a BBQ rib samwich with potato salad

Dang, SS...give.

Where in LaLa Land did you go?

And, most importantly, what Blues band(s) were you listening to?

[Off topic, but have you ever tried Tommy's World Famous on Beverly? There isn't anything which compares to their Double Chili Burger with everything and those little big hot peppers; can I get a witness?]

Edited by GoodSpeak