Fave "Miscellaneous" releases of 2004

Green Dolphin

Good year for non-jazz stuff?These did it for me...

The Blue Nile-High(worth the wait as ever)

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds-Abattoir Blues/The Lyre Of Orpheus

Rufus Wainwright-Want One(withdrawn here in 03 and rereleased 04 still playing it)

Interpol-Antics

Wilco-A Ghost Is Born

Brian Wilson-Smile

Vinicius Cantuaria-Horse And Fish

Tom Waits-Real Gone

Lambchop-Aw C'mon/No You C'mon

Kasabian-same

I bought 3 new (as in still sealed and full-priced) non-jazz records this year, the most of the century, and probably the most in the last 20 years or so. All three have proven to be gems that promise to have lasting vlaue over the long haul.

In reverse chronology -

BEAUTIFULLY HUMAN - Jill Scott

SMILE - Brain Wilson

MUSICOLOGY - Prince

When I was 48, it was a very good year.

Boden Ulrika - Ratt Nu Ar Det Pa Tiden (Drone)

Border Collies - Unleashed (Border Collies)

BrassMonkey - Flame of Fire (Topic)

Bridge Frank - Oration etc - Hickox BBC NO of Wales (Chandos)

Bridge Frank - Suite for Strings etc Hickox BBC NO of Wales (Chandos)

Carthy Martin - Waiting for Angels (Topic)

Danu - Up in the Air (Shanachie)

Greaves John - Chansons (Le Chant de Monde)

McKeown Susan - Sweet Liberty (World Village)

Moore Christy - The Box Set 1964-2004 (Columbia)

Mozaik - Live at the Powerhouse (Hummingbird)

Waterson/Carthy - Fishes and Fine Yellow Sand (Topic)

Winwood Steve - About Time (Sanctuary)

Plus the Planxty reunion DVD!!!!

FairportConvention - Angel Delight (Island)

Soft Machine - Somewhere in Soho (Voiceprint)

Soft Machine - Live in Paris, 1972 (Cuneiform)

Thompson Richard - I Want to see the Bright Lights Tonight (Island)

Thompson Richard - Pour Down Like Silver (Island)

Thompson Richard - Hokey Pokey (Island)

Thompson Richard - Henry the Human Fly (Island)

Various - Seoltai Seidte (Gael Linn)

Watersons - Mighty River of Song (Topic)

A very good year, indeed.

Yeah, but it's all BRITISH.  :g  :g  :g  :g  :g

(KIDDING!!!!)

Tell that to the Irish! I think you might have just put the final nail in the coffin of the peace process!

There's also a Swede there somewhere!

Hey, I'm an American. What do I care about peace? :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

One of those smiley things!

Allman Brothers-One Way Out (double live from 2003)

-Atlanta Pop Festival (archival release with Duane!!!)

-Instant Lives from 2003, 4 of them

Derek Trucks Band-Soul Serenade ( :D:D ), Joyful Noise and Live at the Georgia Theater

King Crimson Collector's Club-ProjeKct Three Live in Austin TX

All of the Dylan SACDs

There's quite a bit more but I don't have the energy to type it all out

BROKENHEARTED DRAGONFLIES: INSECT ELECTRONICA FROM SOUTHEAST ASIA (Sublime Frequencies)

brokenheart.jpg

After listening for the first time I found it very hard to believe these recordings were not electronically manipulated in the studio after being recorded. A very interesting release.

I have only recently begun exploring releases by Charalambides, picking up Unknown Spin earlier this year.

Album of the Year:

animalcollective-sungtongs.gif

Animal Collective - Sung Tongs

Otherwise...

Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing in the Hands

Edo. G & Pete Rock - My Own Worst Enemy

Mikey Dread - African Anthem Dubwise (reissue)

Prince Jammy - Dennis Brown Presents 'Umoja' / '20th Century DEBwise' (reissue)

Joanna Newsome - The Milk Eyed Mender

De La Soul - The Grind Date

Ghostface Killah - The Pretty Toney Album

The Fall - The Real New Fall LP: Formerly Country on the Click

John Fahey - Red Cross

Southern Journey: Harp of a Thousand Strings - All Day Singing from the Sacred Harp (Rounder)

Merle Haggard: Haggard Like Never Before (Hag)

Mance Lipscomb: Trouble in Mind (Rhino Handmade)

John Fahey: The Great Santa Barbara Oil Slick (Water)

Doug Sahm: The Genuine Texas Groover (Rhino Handmade)

Doug Sahm: The Return of Wayne Douglas (Tornado) - I bought this about three years ago, but couldn't bring myself to play it until this year - a final goodbye from Sir Doug.

Joe-- you really like the Vetiver THAT much? I thought it was merely good/pleasant, prefer the Devendra Banhart fix straight up.

Banhart works best for me in small doses. Ditto Joanna Newsom. I think the Vetiver release, of all the 2004 discs by that nexus of artists, still holds up best as a coherent artistic statement. My preference also has to do with presonal associations I have with this music: country drives and all that.

FWIW, I also really liked that Ramon Sender disc that Locust put out this year (WORLD FOOD[?]).

g53000fzdi2.jpg

Even after all these years, still one of the most interesting and satisfying rock bands around. A "no frills" live 2 CD set, all soundboard recordings from various tours, no overdubs, mistakes left in place..and it's all the better for it.

g47543oyoc1.jpg

Probably the most successful "supergroup" band of recent years. No egos, no self indulgent noodling, just real good songs with nice hooks & melodies, played to perfection by top notch musicians. With just a sprinkling of "prog rock" on the top. Ty Tabor - Guitars, Vocals (King's X), John Myung - Bass (Dream Theater), Rod Morgenstern - Drums (Dixie Dregs)

g33575ywknd.jpg

After taking a 10 year break to shed the scales off the "corporate rock monster" they had evolved into...Heart returns to their roots and hits one out of the park. The Wilson sisters prove they still have the magic that went into their early albums. By drinking heavily from the Zeppelin fountain again, they rediscovered their passion.

g21465ig9ta.jpg

Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters) spent 4 years putting this beast together. A loving hhomage to the underground Metal scene of the 80's. He plays most of the instruments and put together an "all star" collection of vocalists to bring this nasty little gem to life. Vocalists: Cronos (Venom), Max Cavalera (Sepultura, Soulfly), Lemmy (Motorhead), Mike Dean (C.O.C.), Kurt Brecht (D.R.I.), Lee Dorian (Napalm Death), Wino (The Obsessed), Tom G. Warrior (Celtic Frost), Snake (Voi Vod), Eric Wagner (Trouble) & King Diamond (Mercyful Fate). The opening track Centuries Of Sin with Cronos could be the best metal song recorded in the last 15 years.....

g26616xh6xm.jpg

A wonderfully wacky side project courtesy of Josh Homme (Queens Of The Stone Age). So goofily garage band rock that you smile through the whole thing. Includes the wonderfully groovy cover version: Stuck In The "Metal" With You. :lol:

3. Disc 1 of the Rhino John Fahey dbl-cd

You know it. Disc two is good, but for sheer unexpurgated Fahey, this is the place to start. Of course, you get this and then you'll want to get the Takoma titles which are no Fantasy (and which thankfully started pouring out right after I bought this set some 9 years ago). I just wish Fantasy would right things up by restoring the '67 version of "The Transcendental Waterfall." Ah well, I guess that's what LP-transfer software/equipment is for.