Duke Ellington - Never No Lament

I am thinking about picking up Never No Lament, which is a 3-CD box of the Blanton-Webster Band.

The reviews at Amazon are quite striking. Some people say that the sound is horrible and that this set is a gyp, while others say that the sound is excellent and the set is essential.

Does anybody here have Never No Lament, and if so what is your opinion of the sound? Should I get it?

They didn't go for much noise-reduction on the set, which makes the sound very vivid but also, at least on the first disc, causes some buzzing in the high frequencies. ("Jack the Bear" is the most egregious example.) I like the set just fine but someone who has a low threshold for surface noise would probably disagree.

The music is essential, of course.

Guy

Edited by Guy Berger

I think I read somewhere that the noise on Jack the Bear is a result of deterioration of the original metal parts. I really don't find the noise so unbearable that it takes away from my enjoymnent of the music and overall I think that the sound on this set is excellent, and the music is essential. Yes, it would be nice if JackThe Bear was cleaner, but you'll still get the essence of the music.

Anybody know if JRT Davies ever remastered any of this stuff ?

I think I read somewhere that the noise on Jack the Bear is a result of deterioration of the original metal parts. I really don't find the noise so unbearable that it takes away from my enjoymnent of the music and overall I think that the sound on this set is excellent, and the music is essential. Yes, it would be nice if JackThe Bear was cleaner, but you'll still get the essence of the music.

There is a Robert Parker remaster of Jack the Bear.

There is a Robert Parker remaster of Jack the Bear.

The Dreyfus cd of this material is the best sounding I've heard.

The Dreyfus remaster is one extreme - you have much less surface noise but lose most of the natural room ambience. I think the instruments sound more natural on the RCA Centennial box set - haven't heard the new remaster.

The two Robert Parker CDs stop in 1938, AFAIR before Balenton joined the band - Jack the Bear is not on them. I found the Parker remasters startling when I first heard them, but now I prefer the Centennial box - I guess the Davies must be even a notch better.

The Dreyfus remaster is one extreme - you have much less surface noise but lose most of the natural room ambience. I think the instruments sound more natural on the RCA Centennial box set - haven't heard the new remaster.

The two Robert Parker CDs stop in 1938, AFAIR before Balenton joined the band - Jack the Bear is not on them. I found the Parker remasters startling when I first heard them, but now I prefer the Centennial box - I guess the Davies must be even a notch better.

I've got a Vol. 3 of Parker's Ellington releases and it does contain Jack the Bear. It does sound good but I'm made nervous by its being in "surround sound". On the centential set Jack the Bear is unlistenable.

The Dreyfus cds actually sound the least compressed to me.

• 3 months later...

I received an email from BMG a couple of weeks ago telling me that I would lose some Music Points if I didn't spend them by June 30.

So I ordered Never No Lament on Thursday, and it arrived today. Shipping was $6.77, so that's a deal! Three CDs of classic Ellington for less than seven dollars.

I have listened to Disc 1. I have an old stereo that is not very hi-fi, and the disc's sound is certainly good enough for me.