I came across...

I came across a bunch of recordings sheets. Here's a Howard McGhee album I produced Dec. 8, 1961.

SharpEdgecover.jpg

...and here's the detailed session sheet:

HMcGheerecordingsheet.jpg

Thanks for posting these, Chris! Under "Additonal expenses" there's $350 for "arrangements". Do you have any recollection as to who did the arrangements? How involved the charts were (for a quintet doing what looks like a fairly straight ahead set of tunes)?

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one really interested me, Chris.

Zurichpetition2.jpg

I have two recordings of Ray Charles from October 1961 - successive nights at the Paris Olympia - and the band was in superb shape. I also saw them at the Hammersmith Odeon on that tour. But doubly lovely for there to have been an after hours session with Messrs Davenport, Chambers and Powell.

Did they ever get in touch with you?

MG

Really interesting stuff, Chris.

So I wonder why Hendrix wasn't listed on the Woodstock ad? Do you know if he was he a late addition/confirmation?

EDIT: I also liked the mention of "curious food and fruit combinations to experiment with". hehehehehehe :crazy:

There are lots of acts that arn't in that ad including, Mountain, Jefferson Airplane, Bert Sommer, Melaine, Creedence, Ten Years After, The Band, Quill, Sly & The Family Stone and others.

Edited by marcello

hey Chris -

I actually played at Jazz Vespers with a group of guys (all high school age) - we went on REALLY late - might have been 1969 - I remember very little abut that night except Howard McGhee played, and it wasn't in the church part, he played in some open space -

Edited by AllenLowe

hi Chris -

working on a new blues anthology/book, and am increasingly impressed by Ruby Smith's singing - found a few cuts I had not heard before (and as usual, since I'm at work, I cannot remember where I found them!) but she has a very nice voice, and a gentler sensibility than Bessie, which I like very much -

will still try to locate that info on those vinyl Bessie pressings, hope to search tonight -

Myfirstarticle.jpg

That's me in 1961, at the typewriter in the apartment I shared with Timme Rosenkrantz, and that my first published article (Aftenbladet, Monday, January 9, 1956). It was about making the jazz rounds in Manhattan with Timme (whose actual phone number was in the heading, the idea being that it provided me with a "Key to Jazz Land". My wife and I had a great time making those rounds, but the truth is that Timme didn't make it‚he got too drunk!