I came across...

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not Nessa (though I am currently playing him in a series on Fox) but yes, I do believe Mingus played the whole concert and overdubbed afterwards because he thought his bass was badly recorded - and one can still find versions of Massey Hall with the original bass line which, ironically or not, sounds MUCH better than the overdubbed version -

I'm not Nessa (though I am currently playing him in a series on Fox) but yes, I do believe Mingus played the whole concert and overdubbed afterwards because he thought his bass was badly recorded - and one can still find versions of Massey Hall with the original bass line which, ironically or not, sounds MUCH better than the overdubbed version -

The undubbed version and the dubbed version were both released in the Mingus Debut box, the first release of the undubbed version, I believe.

That sounds to me like something that you could make some cash off of Chris but a search for "TWA" and "saucer" just in the title finds three current auctions of the same items. A Buy it Now for $18, and two regular auctions that are running out with no bids. Then again, those are people selling individual sets, not a group of 7.

Checking completed items, it looks like individual sets have sold recently for $9. So, not something that will get bids like an original BN but ...

With regard to Frank Kofsky, I found an article about a posthumous meeting celebrating his work. In light of the exchanges above, this passage was especially amusing:

Messages from friends and colleagues around the country, read by his wife, Bonnie Kofsky, and others characterized Kofsky as "a man of passion," someone who "loved a good argument," and one who "vigorously defended his views." Several, including colleague Joe Morrow, noted the fight that Kofsky - an outspoken partisan of the movements against the Vietnam War and for Black rights - had to wage to keep his teaching post.

A number of the messages noted, as one put it, that Kofsky had a "quality that allowed him to take seriously the views of those with whom he disagreed and propose they continue the discussion." A former student told of a series of lectures Kofsky gave on the Vietnam War, which were attended by several veterans, some of whom still defended the U.S. role in that war. "The discussions were quite heated," she recalled, "but Frank always left them with a sense that while he disagreed with their views, he respected them."

http://www.themilitant.com/1998/623/623_16.html

WNEW Second Annual American Swing Festival

Second Annual American Swing Festival. February 4, 1945. Program #1. WNEW, New York. Sustaining. 10:45 P. M. A tribute to Fats Waller. Tommy Dorsey, Mildred Bailey, James P. Johnson, Pat Flowers, The Fats Waller Band, Ed Kirkeby, Connie Green (writer), George Foster (director), Jerry Marshall (announcer). 29:35. Audio condition: Very good to excellent. Complete.

Second Annual American Swing Festival. February 7, 1945. Program #4. WNEW, New York. Sustaining. A Tribute to Fats Waller. Ed Kirkeby (Fats' friend and manager) narrates a biography of Fats in 1929 and 1930. Pat Flowers imitates Fats (quite well!). Martin Block and Count Basie appear by transcription. A fine rendition of "Jitterbug Waltz" featured. Ed Kirkeby (narrator), Pat Flowers, Martin Block, Count Basie. 13:53. Audio condition: Excellent. Complete.

Second Annual American Swing Festival. February 8, 1945. Program #5. WNEW, New York. Sustaining. A Tribute to Fats Waller. Pat Flowers plays in Fats' style and sounds just like him. The story Fats' life from 1930 to 1935 is told. Ed Kirkeby (narrator), Pat Flowers, Red McKenzie. 13:04. Audio condition: Excellent. Complete.

Second Annual American Swing Festival. February 9, 1945. Program #6. WNEW, New York. Sustaining. A Tribute to Fats Waller. The story of Fats' life from 1937 to 1942 is narrated by Ed Kirkeby. Pat Flowers plays and sings in Fats' style. Some of Fats' records are played. Ed Kirkeby, Pat Flowers, Martin Block, Fats Waller, Taylor Grant (announcing). 14:08. Audio condition: Very good. Complete.

Second Annual American Swing Festival. February 11, 1945. Program #7. WNEW, New York. Sustaining. The last of the series. Pat Flowers and Fats' original band perform live, in-studio. Ed Kirkeby (narrator), Jerry Marshall (announcer), Pat Flowers, Fats Waller's Original Band, Una Mae Carlisle, Red Norvo, Louis Armstrong, James P. Johnson, Richard Kollmar. 30:11. Audio condition: Very good. Complete.

I found the above listing when I Googled WNEW's Second Annual Swing Festival. The airchecks are apparently preserved and available, somewhere, from a guy named Goldin.

When I was at WNEW, 20 years later, they were getting ready to throw out a bunch of stuff, including some photos from that very festival. Although I have been Drigged a couple of times, these photos are still here and I am posting 3 this time.

EdKirkebyJamesCJohnsonandUnaMaeCarl.jpg

This is Ed Kirkeby (Waller's manager), with James C. Johnson (sometime Waller co-writer), and Una Mae Carlisle.

EdKirkebyandLouisAatWNEW2ndAnnualSw.jpg

Here Kirkeby with Louis.

43.jpg

Here's Kirkeby with two guys whose faces don't look familiar to me—anyone here recognize them?

I met Kirkeby a few times in my early years here. A character, he was, still wearing spats in the early '60s.

Looks like K with Joe Sullivan and Harry James.

A number of the messages noted, as one put it, that Kofsky had a "quality that allowed him to take seriously the views of those with whom he disagreed and propose they continue the discussion." A former student told of a series of lectures Kofsky gave on the Vietnam War, which were attended by several veterans, some of whom still defended the U.S. role in that war. "The discussions were quite heated," she recalled, "but Frank always left them with a sense that while he disagreed with their views, he respected them."

http://www.themilitant.com/1998/623/623_16.html

Based on the exchange with Chris, I can only :rofl: