Turn outhe stars

Are you sure about Last Waltz and Consecration? It seems like they're available on most of the websites I've checked. I'd prefer to not have to spend the money right now, but I will if I "have to." :rolleyes:

I think....think ...that I may have stumbled into a good deal over at Amazon Canada yesterday and snagged the Consecration box for a darned nice price -- CDN$ 12.72 ($11 US?? :blink: ). With an $8 shipping charge my guess is that it's the 8-disc box. Is this possible??? Have received a confirmation notice so we'll see what happens.

Sounds like a great deal if everything holds together. I'm saving money for a big splurge in January to get the Last Waltz/Consecration/Secret Sessions sets. I'm not sure about the Complete Fantasy, I'm wondering if the sound is any good on those cds; whether to go for Japanese K-2 imports for the individual sessions; wait to see if Concord puts the box on sale during another blow-out sale; or wait for whatever else they have in mind regarding the Evans catalog. Decisions, decisions.....

Would anyone like to chime in on the sound quality of the Complete Fantasy box? This is the last piece of the Bill Evans box set puzzle for me, and I'm just wondering if the sound is muddy or nice.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure about Last Waltz and Consecration? It seems like they're available on most of the websites I've checked. I'd prefer to not have to spend the money right now, but I will if I "have to." :rolleyes:

I think....think ...that I may have stumbled into a good deal over at Amazon Canada yesterday and snagged the Consecration box for a darned nice price -- CDN$ 12.72 ($11 US?? :blink: ). With an $8 shipping charge my guess is that it's the 8-disc box. Is this possible??? Have received a confirmation notice so we'll see what happens.

Sounds like a great deal if everything holds together. I'm saving money for a big splurge in January to get the Last Waltz/Consecration/Secret Sessions sets. I'm not sure about the Complete Fantasy, I'm wondering if the sound is any good on those cds; whether to go for Japanese K-2 imports for the individual sessions; wait to see if Concord puts the box on sale during another blow-out sale; or wait for whatever else they have in mind regarding the Evans catalog. Decisions, decisions.....

Would anyone like to chime in on the sound quality of the Complete Fantasy box? This is the last piece of the Bill Evans box set puzzle for me, and I'm just wondering if the sound is muddy or nice.

I had the Japanese 20-bit K2 remastered Consecration and Last Waltz box sets and sold them to a friend of mine, they were a bit too harsh to my ears. I got the American box sets instead, they sound a tad warmer - and maybe muddier to some, but that doesn't bother me.

Edit: sorry, just noticed you're talking about the Complete Fantasy box.

Edited by J.A.W.

It's quite acceptable to my ears, Matthew. Really must give the set a spin, don't listen to it enough. Picked it up for something like $30 in the zweitausendeins bonanza ! :crazy:

It's quite acceptable to my ears, Matthew. Really must give the set a spin, don't listen to it enough. Picked it up for something like $30 in the zweitausendeins bonanza ! :crazy:

Those were the days. :( Think we'll see another one of those anytime soon?

Those were the days. :( Think we'll see another one of those anytime soon?

I'm quite sure that one was only 9.99 or 12.99 euro-zlotys, back then (the two Tatums went for even less! Most expensive was the Monk Riverside at 15.99 or 17.99... - but I missed the Coltrane, which may have been a bit more... but I'm glad I missed it, as the Concord box is terrific!)