Favorite Disc in the Miles Plugged Nickel Box

Which is your favorite disc?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A few boots of this band have made it to the "grey market" - Lon had one for sale here recently, and still may. Other tapes have been circulating amongst collectors for years now, and I've been lucky enough to hear some. Let's just say that NO Miles album of the time portrayed the live scene TOTALLY accurately between MILES SMILES and LIVE-EVIL, FILLMORE getting disqualified because of too intense editing. That's a 5-6 year period where Miles' music underwent numerous seizmic shifts, and the records only tell a very, VERY small part of the story of those years., which is a major reason why the PN box was such a revelation.

Maybe it's "grey market" but I have a Japanese Sony cd of the "lost quintet" called 1969Miles-Festival de Juan Pins. It's a live recording from Antibes July 25 '69. It includes notes in English. I think I b ought it in Toronto at HMV or Virgin. No reason for Sony not releasing it here. But they probably won't.

I've been posting a bit too much on this thread, but just wanted to say that I had a surprising rediscovery of the last 12/23 set. (Disc 7.) It's shorter than the other sets but has some of the best playing. It has maybe the best "Stella" of the engagement and the performance of "Yesterdays" (particularly Hancock's solo -- I like how he alludes to "Giant Steps") is terrific. The version of "All Blues" actually reminded of Mingus. And this set also has one of the best "Theme"s in the box.

Guy

• 5 months later...

What should I be listening for?

Should I be pulling out studio albums and comparing them to particular tracks/discs?

---

there's a plie of replies, and long ones at that, that i've not completey read through yet.

so unless these two questions haven't been answered yet, i'll take my stab.

in *no* way should you be listening to or even thinking about these compositions in their original context, IMHO.

this incarnation of the group was completely about taking the known, shared, common and using them as a basis for reinventing the wheel for the common listener via dates like this plugged nickel set. in that sense, this set is not about my funny valentine or walkin' as much as it is the communication, empathy, and abstractions betwixt and between miles, wayne, tony, ron, and herbie.

i listen to this set with the same mindset as something by, say, the greateful dead or phish...

forgive my crude and hacked reply, but maybe that will help you sort of get your head around a little of the "how to"... in other words, the rules are bent but not broken.

cheers,

-e-

Yup! 39 years...

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned the death of jazz

(actually meaning the death of the *future* of jazz)

with these concerts...

My take is so much different. It was very much nearly

a birth for me because my mother brought me to one of these concerts

in celebration of her 40th birthday back then.

She's 79 today! Happy B-Day Mom!

your son...

---

Now playing: Enrique Granados (1867-1916) - Dance espagnole n° 4, Villanesca

you were there? what do you remember? is that you yelling at ron carter during the second set, Dec 22?

• 3 years later...

I've really dug into this set over the last couple of days; listening very closely to Tony/Ron interactions. Amazing to hear the the way that Ron's playing put's Tony's ideas in context. He doesn't miss a thing that Tony is doing and still manages to help hold everything together perfectly. Tony was amazing and Ron clearly was his biggest champion!