Coltrane Complete Prestige Box

I know that this is an incredible longshot, but does anyone out there who owns or received the Evans box set possibly have a little buyers remorse? Maybe the significant other is giving you some static? Maybe the credit card bill or hit to the bank account were a bit much? Maybe the set is too much or not as much to your liking as you thought?

If so, PM me or email me at michaels777@hotmail.com and maybe we can work something out. I'd love to pick one up.

Edited by mikelz777

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess - looking at it from Concord's standpoint - they don't need to hire extra help to process these orders more quickly, they'll simply use whatever minimal staff they have in their warehouse, and continue plodding through these orders until the stock is gone. It's clearly product they want to unload, equivalent of a fire sale, and if anybody cancels their order out of frustration, another will be waiting in line behind them to snatch up whatever is left. They've got the thousand orders guaranteed, whether 2 guys work in the warehouse, or 20. Which makes better sense financially, since that's what seems to be their bottom line here?

It's still frustrating from the buyer's perspective, as we're used to CD Universe/Amazon/etc and their processing/shipping standards. But again, it's great prices for the products we're all getting, when they eventually do arrive.

It's clearly product they want to unload, equivalent of a fire sale, and if anybody cancels their order out of frustration, another will be waiting in line behind them to snatch up whatever is left.

You cannot cancel or alter an order in any way once it is placed online. That was according to the Concord rep I spoke with on the phone a long while back.

Thanks to the advice offered here, I called Concord yesterday about my order dated 7/20 which included the Evans box. A fellow named Jackson checked it out for me, called back last night to tell me that my order would be processed today but that the Evans might not be available. He called again today to let me know that I would receive one of the last of the Evans boxes and that it would ship today.

I didn't ask but it was my impression that the orders were not processed first in first out. He seemed a bit surprised that my order was as old as it was.

OTOH my first order for the Coltrane box shipped only a few days after it was placed, but that was early in the game.

Good advice Paul...

OK, latest timeline update for all the other "junkies". Just received the shipping notice for my rather large order (placed 7/19/06) including both the Coltrane and Evans boxes. The only CD that didn't ship was the Boss Tenor K2. All in all :) .

Received a large FedEx box today containing everything noted in the shipping notification. :party: I have a lot of listening ahead :excl:

I was heading back to Toledo from Southern Michigan today and saw at least 3 Fed Ex Ground trailers, driving together.

No doubt they were loaded with Concord goodies to disburse across the country. :D

Reminds of the old Gershwin lyric:

"They say that Connnn-cord ships,

But not for meeeeee."

:w

I see in another thread that Lon's 7/23 order shipped today. Our Man Jackson told me this afternoon that there were a ton or orders on 7/24, and a bunch more on 7/25. So, I'm presuming, this may be where we start to see lots more titles disappear. (Not to cause a panic or anything. :rolleyes: )

i still don't understand how my 7/22 order arrived last week and those who ordered before I did still haven't gotten theirs yet. This is a lot of music- I'm only on disc 6!

I don't know either, but I'm glad you had mentioned it earlier as it led to lots of calls to Jackson. Justice will prevail! :bwallace::rhappy:

At least in my case.... I was not that familiar with 'Trane's Prestige stuff... Everyone knows about his Impulse era...

There are two things driving this...

1. The Price... and

2. Going OOP..

(but it's mainly the price.... ) If this same set was on sale for $100 or $150... I suspect half of us who ordered would not have ordered... but at $4 a CD? :tup:tup:tup

How come you all supposed to be jazz fanatics need the Coltrane box? You should have bought all the individual cd's ages age already.........Or is this just me!

How come you all supposed to be jazz fanatics need the Coltrane box? You should have bought all the individual cd's ages age already.........Or is this just me!

In my case, it was because I was first exposed to Coltrane at the wrong (for me) end of his career. All I had initially heard of him was his free and avant garde stuff. I hated it and thus avoided Coltrane for years. Then I was in a music store listening to samples and I gave "Blue Train" a listen and really enjoyed it. That lead me to listening to his earliest work on Prestige which I really enjoyed as well. When I discoved this sale, the price was too good to pass up and out of the handful of Coltrane CDs I had picked up at this point, only 2 of them were included on the Prestige box. (one of them a Red Garland date) Thus, with one fell swoop I would be able to pick up the best (for me) of Coltrane's career which will be rounded out by the smattering of Blue Note, Atlantic and Impulse recordings I've also come to enjoy.

In a broader sense, I don't believe that just because one is a jazz fan that they are automatically going to like Coltrane. Was I not a jazz fan during those years where I consciously rejected Coltrane but listened to scores of other jazz artists?

Edited by mikelz777

While my Coltrane Box is winding its way to me...

I just got a call from Jackson at Concord -- I will not be receiving the Evans Box I ordered because it is

SOLD OUT!! :( (I ordered on July 25th). I guess one consolation is that I have most of the Evans Riverside material on single CD's (several in K2 format). Oh well...

Ya know, for a set that came out in '91, the sound quality of this s--- sounds damn MF good. Ditto for the Evans box.

To my ears, early '90's Fantasy CDs generally sound pretty damn great. :tup

Yep, just got the Debut Records Story box too in my second order and the sonics on that set are also pretty damn MF nice.

While my Coltrane Box is winding its way to me...

I just got a call from Jackson at Concord -- I will not be receiving the Evans Box I ordered because it is

SOLD OUT!! :( (I ordered on July 25th). I guess one consolation is that I have most of the Evans Riverside material on single CD's (several in K2 format). Oh well...

The Evans material is essential any way you can get them. I've been playing the box all weekend, just absolutely sublime and gorgeous sounds.

Actually the sound on the Evans really bugged me... which is why I got rid of it 6 months ago... (Also NO Booklet??? :angry::angry: )

Ya know, for a set that came out in '91, the sound quality of this s--- sounds damn MF good. Ditto for the Evans box.

Actually the sound on the Evans really bugged me... which is why I got rid of it 6 months ago... (Also NO Booklet??? :angry::angry: )

There was a nice booklet with mine. Are you sure it was the same set?