BFT 41, CD 2

Tom Storer

BFT #41, Disc 2

Track 1. Well, it’s a Monk tune, “Blues Five Spot”, I think. At first I found it amusing, and I’m sure the live audience had fun with it, but by the time the track was over I was tired of it, and didn’t have any interest in hearing it a second time. The vibist is indebted to Bags, but I don’t know who it is. :beee:

Track 2. The synthesiser as a voice in the orchestra – why not? Really no clue who anybody is here, and frankly, at the risk of being called a moldy fig, I might’ve liked it better without the electronics. :o

Track 3. This follows a similar path as the last one, the writing is a little more “out”. George Russell?

Track 4. “My Melancholy Baby”. The block chords thing certainly recalls Red Garland, but this ain’t him, I’m pretty sure. George Mraz on bass?

Track 5. Did we hear this flute player on the first disc? The tune is “Delilah”, can’t place anybody. Possibly Eddy Louiss on organ? I like the organist better than the flutist!

Track 6. Nice tune, breathy “old school” tenor player, whose name I should know!

Track 7. “In Your Own Sweet Way”. I found the laughter (presumably the pianist) really distracting. The tenor? Thanks, but no thanks!

Track 8. “Darn That Dream”. This sounds a lot like the group on #6, breathy tenor and all.

Track 9. Hated this! A scatting bass player! I guess you wanted to begin and end on a humorous note, but it didn’t tickle my funny bone. :angry:

Not doing any better with guesses on that second disc. Good thing is I enjoyed listening to most of the tracks.

Track 1 - Is that Hutch getting into 'Blues Five Spot'? Nice relaxed opener. Liked that duet.

Track 2 - Could not get excited with that track. Might be a Jaco Pastorius big band. I stopped listening to this type of Weather Report-inspired music a long time ago. The playing here does not make me feel like going back on that road

Track 3 - This sounds much better. Could be the Gil Evans band with Hannibal on trumpet and Billy Harper on tenor. A quite awaesome performance. Really liked that one

Track 4 - Shades of melancholy. Good pianist but I'm stuck with being unable to identify him.

Track 5 - Lovely Delilah. Tend to stay away from flute albums but the featured musician knows his craft. Can't say I enjoy the sound produced by the Hammond player.

Track 6 - Wish I could guess who that was on tenor. The man makes a straight and serious statement. I know I'll feel stupid when the answers are posted. A splendid performance!

Track 7 - Sounded like the George Adams-Don Pullen group going their sweet way. A very exciting performance!

Track 8 - Darn That Dream by a tenor player who comes from where the player on track 6 came from. The man makes sense.

Track 9 - This ends on a happy note and leaves me dumfounded once more! Guess the bass player was doing those funny vocals.

On to disc two ..... (I'm a little late, just saw the answers are posted, but I didn't peek!)

Track one: Two guys having fun with a Monk tune the name of which escapes me at the moment, don't have the time to check the fakebook. Well, this elictits mixed feelings - while I see the fun they had, this approach kills the sensitive architecture of the tune, which is a very important part of it - I'm very conservative in my taste towards the interpretaion of Monk's tunes, as it hardly works to toy with their structure. ***** for this rendition on a fun level, ** on a serious level. A juiced Bobby Hutcherson?

Track two: That's tune Jaco played with Weather Report - his own Word Of Mouth Big Band? Only thing I don't like here is that the synths are too loud - most engineers make that mistake, as they determine the level from looking at the volume meter and not by ear, and since these signals have a different dynamic level, they appear to be too loud. I could have done without them, as the orchestral colors are nice and varied enough here.

Track three: Another very interesting big band, but no idea who they are. I like that guitar in the band a lot, gives it a nice "progressive touch" - or is that two guitars before the end? The trumpeter plays too many stock phrases, for my taste - if he would take his time and play some slower soaring stuff on top it would be more powerful than the busy, fireworks approach he favors - the guitars are better here in pacing themselves. Nice arrangement - the type of big band I like. Who is this?

Track four: You thrust some hard contrasts on us, Tom! Suddenly a rather classic mainstreamish trio approach. Don't know the tune - is that Jimmy Rowles at the piano? Bassist's intonation is too sloppy, for my taste. The pace at which they take it and how they keep it is perfect.

Is that a downloaded track? If so, the high frequency and thus the sound of the cymbals, which is too low in the mix as usual, anyway, suffered a little too much.

In the end I'd say it's not Rowles, who has a subtler touch than the pianist here. *** would be my rating.

Track five: Hah - Delilah goes to Latin quarters. That organ is nice. Oh, they catch Eleanor Rigby at the ladies' room ..... I may know that flutist. Organist sounds familiar, too, but I don't have the time and inner calmness to investigate. Somehow Shirley Scott pops up in my mind, but I'm nowhere sure. Nice track, one of my favourites. If I could only name that flutist .....

Track six: This is a competent performance - the tenor saxist reminds me a bit of David Newman.

Track seven: From the way they treat this standard, they are heavily influences by Ahmad Jamal, whom I happened to see live last night. Well. Drummer clatters and bangs a little - I don't know what to think of the pianist - some of Herbie's licks are there, too. The tenor is a little too much under pressure for me. Trying to blow his horn apart ..... Oh! what happened at the end? Geez ....

Track eight: Darn that missing ending of the previous track! That tenor here, on the contrast, knows how to pace himself, and has tons of experience. A classy performance.

Track nine: With all likelihood that slightly excentric scatting bassist is Red Mitchell - he's crazy, but I love it - I have a track where you even can hear his acquired Swedish accent while he scats. A bassist of world class, one of the great masters of the instrument - BTW this is a nice overture to the upcoming BFT 42 by Mr. Bassman!

Thanks Tom, for the nice trip - wish I would have more time to listen to identify some of the players.