Wayne Shorter - Odyssey of Iska

J Larsen

Unfortunately, I only have an MP3 of this great album... is there any good reason it hasn't been reissued since the mid-90s? Like a licensing problem or something? It seems to be a more logical choice for an RVG than some of the readily available titles they've been rehashing lately... Wayne sells comparitively well, doesn't he?

Arias for soprano, mostly. Very "impressionistic", not at all concerned with "tunes", very group-centric in terms of individual roles, and probably fairly viewed as a transition on the way to Weather Report, although this music is not concerned with any type of "fusion" (not that early WR was really concerned with such a thing either, not as a primary motivator) mas much as it is with an "opening up" of form & function.

I love it myself, might be my overall most favorite Wayne side, period, but definintely not for those who find Super Nova "difficult" or some such. This is one step beyond that.

As for why BN hasn't reissued it lately, I think it's simple - this session fits no marketing "molds" or "images" for the label, for Wayne, or for any "style" of music (other than maybe a precursor to early-ish ECM). It is what it is.

Yeah, I hear you, and I guess I knew the answer to my question before I even asked it. It's frustrating though, because it's such a great record. Super Nova is another favorite of mine.

I'd love to get my hands on this in some form.

Wouldn't it fit on one CD with Moto Grosso Feio from the same session(s)?

Motto Grosso Feio was last out on One Way, so there may be a licensing poblem there (though One Way does seem to get short-term rights to a lot of the stuff they put out). I think Odyssey is a much better record, but I'm not going to say anything bad about Moto Grosso.

Arias for soprano, mostly. Very "impressionistic", not at all concerned with "tunes", very group-centric in terms of individual roles, and probably fairly viewed as a transition on the way to Weather Report, although this music is not concerned with any type of "fusion" (not that early WR was really concerned with such a thing either, not as a primary motivator) mas much as it is with an "opening up" of form & function.

I love it myself, might be my overall most favorite Wayne side, period, but definintely not for those who find Super Nova "difficult" or some such. This is one step beyond that.

Thanks - sound very interesting ...

Three records from that era that I really enjoy - Super Nova, Mountain in the Clouds and the first Weather Report record. All very beautiful, but have a definite bite.

I think Odyssey is a much better record, but I'm not going to say anything bad about Moto Grosso.

Well, I will! :g

It's a pretty raggedy session, actually. Never really gels, imo. Not for nothing was it kept in the can until after Weather Report started making waves.

Odyssey, otoh, is all the way there.

I think Odyssey is a much better record, but I'm not going to say anything bad about Moto Grosso.

Well, I will! :g

It's a pretty raggedy session, actually. Never really gels, imo. Not for nothing was it kept in the can until after Weather Report started making waves.

Odyssey, otoh, is all the way there.

I listened to Moto Grosso again this weekend (first time in a long time), after Odyssey ended too quickly for me. It's not one I return to a lot, and it is unfocused, but I didn't dislike it. You might call me crazy for saying this, but it comes across to me as a less successful version of that Michael White album on Impulse (which I have to confess to really enjoying - seems to be a controversial album).

I'll dig out the vinyl of 'Motto Grosso', 'Super Nova' and 'Odyssey' tonight. I like them all !

They would indeed make an excelent Mosaic Select (maybe combine with tracks from 'The Collector'?)

I find that the music on these albums has quite a bit of commonality with the impressionistic direction that Wayne has taken in the last few years.

Need to play some Wayne - he's on in London in 10 days time and I need to secure a ticket (sold out :ph34r: )

Edited by sidewinder

I've got both Odyssey and Super Nova on lp and like Odyssey a lot more. Actually, Odyssey is one of favorite recordings and has been since I bought it on it's original release.

• 2 months later...

How about a Mosaic Select, with Super Nova, Odyssey and MGF?

Add that unreleased Blue Note session from October 13 1970 I just read about and I'd buy it without thinking twice. Was that the one that Wayne didn't want released? I say it'd be fine put into historical perspective as an add-in to a box set like that.