The Porcupine Tree Corner

Uncle Skid

:o :o :o

Thanks for the update, Ag.

I'm listening to PT right now (Warszawa). This is the first time I've listened to any PT in at least six months or so. Very weird that this thread resurfaces now!

Wilson's influence on Opeth still fascinates me. I've been on a metal binge lately, and PT sounds positively mellow compared to some of the their stuff.

Warszawa's a good show, I just gave it a spin the other day as well. :tup

I like the one mellow Opeth album, Damnation, alot. That one's got SW's stamp all over it. The rest of their output is a little too heavy for me, I think. I haven't listened to the last one, Watershed, though.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Porcupine Tree is happy to announce its upcoming Autumn US / Canada tour in support of a brand new studio album. The following dates have been confirmed:

Tue 15 Sept: SEATTLE, WA - MOORE THEATER

Wed 16 Sept: PORTLAND, OR - ROSELAND

Fri 18 Sept: SAN FRANCISCO - WARFIELD

Sat 19 Sept: LOS ANGELES - CLUB NOKIA

Mon 21 Sept: CLEVELAND, OH - HOUSE OF BLUES

Tue 22 Sept: CHICAGO, IL - VIC THEATER

Thu 24 Sept: NY, NY - TERMINAL 5

Sat 26 Sept: PHILLY - ELECTRIC FACTORY

Sun 27 Sept: BOSTON, MA - HOUSE OF BLUES

Tue 29 Sept: MONTREAL - METROPOLIS

Wed 30 Sept: TORONTO - QUEEN ELIZABETH THEATRE

Supporting PT in Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco: That 1 Guy

In Los Angeles: Bigelf

Remaining Dates: King's X

Porcupine Tree is happy to announce its upcoming Autumn US / Canada tour in support of a brand new studio album. The following dates have been confirmed:

I might give the Club Nokia a shot, I have no idea where it's at though. When I saw them in Seattle on the last tour, they were amazing.

PS: Just Googled it, and it's right next door to Staples Arena.

Edited by Matthew

I'm curious about the new album - SW has mentioned in some interviews that it could be a 2 disc set, with one containing a 55 minute piece, and the other containing more normal length tracks. Not sure what to make of that at this point, and it's likely to change 2-3 times before it actually gets released.

I also wish they were coming down to Texas on this tour. Maybe more dates will be announced, or they'll have another leg later. Might consider the Philly show though.

I'm so THERE! :tup

Who's "That 1 Guy"?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm curious about the new album - SW has mentioned in some interviews that it could be a 2 disc set, with one containing a 55 minute piece, and the other containing more normal length tracks. Not sure what to make of that at this point, and it's likely to change 2-3 times before it actually gets released.

I also wish they were coming down to Texas on this tour. Maybe more dates will be announced, or they'll have another leg later. Might consider the Philly show though.

...or maybe the album plans won't change very much at all:

from www.porcupinetree.com

"The Incident"

Porcupine Tree are happy to announce the forthcoming release of their tenth studio album "The Incident". The record is set to be released via Roadrunner Records worldwide on 21st September, as a double CD.

The centre-piece is the title track, which takes up the whole of the first disc. The 55-minute work is described as “a slightly surreal song cycle about beginnings and endings and the sense that ‘after this, things will never be the same again’.”

The self-produced album is completed by four standalone compositions that developed out of band writing sessions last December - Flicker, Bonnie The Cat, Black Dahlia, and Remember Me Lover feature on a separate EP length disc to stress their independence from the song cycle.

Video footage of the band in the studio working on The Incident, as well as audio previews, will be available online soon. The band will tour extensively to promote the album from mid September onwards.

I'm excited about this one!

So, the album comes out on 9/21?

They're playing here on 9/18! What's up with that?

I hear ya - nice to get to know this music before you hear it live. I'm sure it will be a good show either way though. I'm assuming they'll play the 55 minute piece live, which would leave the remainder of the show for either the other pieces or older stuff.

Still thinking about hitting the Philly show.

The centre-piece is the title track, which takes up the whole of the first disc. The 55-minute work is described as “a slightly surreal song cycle about beginnings and endings and the sense that ‘after this, things will never be the same again’.”

Here's how the track breaks out, with songs and interludes:

Occam's Razor 1:55

The Blind House 5:47

Great Expectations 1:26

Kneel and Disconnect 2:03

Drawing the Line 4:43

The Incident 5:20

Your Unpleasant Family 1:48

The Yellow Windows of the Evening Train 2:00

Time Flies 11:40

Degree Zero of Liberty 1:45

Octane Twisted 5:03

The Séance 2:39

Circle of Manias 2:18

I Drive the Hearse 6:41

And here are some comments from someone who was at the official listening party on Monday, in NYC:

Like I posted this AM, I truly do not know what to make of the new PT. It was almost too overwhelming to take in at one sitting, and for me, certainly NOT a CD/LP I could just sit down and immediately come away with a definitive impression of from the moment I heard it. In most cases, for me anyway, this is normally a very good thing, as many of my all time fave records were ones that I wasn't immediately struck by, but I am not sure if this is how it will play out with the new PT, and I did not get a promo copy so I'll have to sit it out like everyone else until the CD is released to get my next listen...

Of the tracks I remember specifically, Time Flies (which I mentioned is very Floydian, but still very much a PT sounding track) was probably the most immediately memorable. It's not uber proggy, but it does reference Dogs and Time liberally (and bits of Run Like Hell and Sheep as well), but still sounds very contemporary and cool !!!! Steven told me this piece was specifically inspired by his childhood/growing up etc.

The Blind House was pretty immediate as well, retro PT acoustic references, harmonies, with some very heavy sustained guitar histrionics as well.

Circle of Manias is the real powerhouse riff monster (along with Octane Twisted if memory serves me right) with tons of Meshuggah-like riffs clashing and crashing along in a torrent of angular time changes and odd meters. This has a similar vibe to Mother and Child Divided, but is much heavier and more angular and f**ked up... Oh, yeah, on this one, SW plays a new Baritone guitar that PRS made for him exclusively !

Drive the Hearse was actually a surprise, as I expected it to be dark and heavy to coincide with the lyrics and song title, but it's not. It's more "song oriented" with a memorable chorus and some really lovely acoustic moments backed with some spooky/eerie synth textures and a soaring solo fade out...

The other track that really got my attention was The Incident, which is, well crushingly funky (as in heavy electronica funk), this song is twisted and really will kick ass live I am betting... Lot's of weird synthy textures and if I had to point to any specific reference point it would be Sleep Together, but without all the strings. This track is more streamlined and stealthy...

Only one major disconnect for me that stood out from the listening session, and that was Drawing the Line. This might be the first PT song I can honestly say I immediately did NOT like much at all right away... Not digging the chorus at all and actually felt uncomfortable listening to it, which was a weird experience. It may grow on me , but somehow I doubt it... Please don't let my opinion cloud yours though when you finally get and opportunity to check it out !

The rest of the experience is all just too fuzzy at this point, sleep deprivation is clouding my memory and judgment so I'll stop there on my review of the individual and the whole...

Again, I think this is definitely a situation where it's going to take a few listens for me to fully wrap my head around and appreciate what is going on in this new release... I will say this though, it was my impression that this music was definitely inspired by and influenced by SW's experiences making Insurgentes. I can't put my finger on it, but I had a distinct feeling that Insurgentes had a profound effect on his writing for this new PT project. Perhaps it's just me, but we shall see....

• 2 months later...

Tour starts tonight in Seattle. :party: Anybody in that area going to see them?

BF, love to hear your thoughts about the show on Friday night after you get a chance to digest it. Did you pick up the CD yet?

Amazon said it shipped today, so I might have it before the show. We'll see ...

Will definitely give you a review, too.

I'm spinning the disc now, picked it up this evening on the way home from work. I stayed up past midnight last night just so I could listen to it on LALA.

VERY interesting album, will take awhile to digest completely. Darker & moodier than their last couple albums, less overt "rockin'" stuff, more restrained. In the song "Time Flies" they use a variation on the final section of Pink Floyd's Sheep as the jumping off point. Other songs that jumped out at me right away are The Blind House (my favorite so far), Drawing The Line and Octane Twisted.

I posted my thought on the album when I got a downloaded version. I'd love to see them live at some point but I guess that's not too likely. My CD copy should come in the mail tomorrow.

Well Porcupine Tree's new album has been floating around the 'net, I've already pre-ordered the CD after 1 listen. It's pretty much brilliant from beginning to end. Amazon has a great price on the 2 discs, for a heads up to PT fans.

As I started to mention over on FB ...

Show was good - not great. I think the problem was that the entire first half consisted of their new album ("The Incident", a single 55-minute opus) in its entirety. Since it was only released this week and my Amazon shipment didn't arrive until show-day, there was no chance to get familiar with this very complicated piece of music. I was exhausted by "half-time".

Then they took a 10-minute break (highlighted by a countdown clock) and came back in exactly 10 minutes. The crowd counted down the last 10 seconds, too!

For the rest of the show Steve announced that they would be doing older tunes, but from what I could tell there wasn't anything from their 90's-era catalog, which I'm most familiar with. There were at least a few from "Deadwing" and "Fear of a Blank Planet" - the other tunes I didn't recognize. The best of these was a solid version of "Anesthetize".

Anyway, I enjoyed the show and it was great to see these guys work live. Very well rehearsed considering the complexity of their music. Steven Wilson is unquestionably "the man" in this outfit, too.

The nearly sold-out crowd was ecstatic throughout and I think he mentioned towards the end of the show that they would be coming back to SF on the second leg of their tour (but I might be mistaken).

Even though I'm a relative Porcupine Tree novice (a few months), I have to say that no other band I can think of (regardless of genre) has this kind of effect on me. I thought the time had passed where I could feel this passionately about a particular group, it was a pleasure to welcome that feeling back.

The ability to openly pay homage to your influences without ripping them off is a rare gift, Wilson has that to the nth degree.