The Porcupine Tree Corner

Uncle Skid

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Listening to "Fear of a Blank Planet" now. I've been buying Porcupine Tree cds the past few months. Shawn exposed me to them, and it was "Arriving Somewhere" that opened the door for me, that DVD gave me a great entryway.

Of all the Steve Wilson material I've explored "Insurgentes" stands a shoulder above. I love that CD better than any PT yet, but I'm loving the PT.

Thanks Shawn. :)

Edited by jazzbo

• 4 weeks later...

Houston tonight! :party:

Great show! Basically the same type of set as last fall - the first half is the entirety of The Incident, then a break, and then a second half with various tracks.

The Incident sounded alot better to me than when I saw them in Philly. I think they're playing it all better, and I'm also more familiar with it by now. Great performance.

Then the second half of the show was:

The Start of Something Beautiful

Russia on Ice

Anesthetize

Lazarus

Strip the Soul/.3

Buying New Soul

Bonnie the Cat

The Sound of Muzak

Trains

The highlight for me was Buying New Soul. Great performance! Was nice to finally hear Lazarus live as well, though the keyboards were buried too far in the mix.

All in all a great, energetic performance, good sound, and nice venue. Got to talk with all four of them after the show for a bit, and they seemed to be having a good time and enjoying this tour. My opinion of Gavin Harrison goes up every time I see him live.

Go see 'em!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing that, Shawn! I'm still as impressed with PT as I was in about '99 when I first discovered them in Germany. Though they've changed alot, they do what they do really well. The textures and the back and forth between light and heavy in that video are tough to pull off that well, I think.

I'm really looking forward to the DVD. Ended up buying the deluxe edition, even though I don't own a Bluray player. It was the 2 cds that aren't available elsewhere that did it for me (Now watch, they'll release them separately).

• 1 month later...

Heads up!!

PT & Coheed and Cambria Dates

PT is happy to announce that the band will be joining Coheed and Cambria to coheadline 12 dates in the US in August. Tickets are on sale to the general public this Friday, June 25th The band will also be headlining their own show at The Warfield in San Francisco on August 10th. ROABP info to be posted shortly.

Aug 10th San Francisco, CA - The Warfield (PT only)

Aug 12th Hollywood, CA – Hollywood Palladium

Aug 13th Las Vegas, NV – The Joint

Aug 14th San Diego, CA – 4th and B (21+)

Aug 16th Albuquerque, NM – Sunshine Theater

Aug 17th El Paso, TX – Club 101

Aug 18th San Antonio, TX - Sunset Station

Aug 20th Memphis, TN – Minglewood Hall

Aug 21st Asheville, NC – Thomas Wolfe Auditorium

Aug 22nd Nashville, TN – War Memorial Auditorium

Aug 23rd St Louis, MO - Pageant

Aug 24th Grand Rapids, MI – Orbit Room

Aug 26th Cleveland, OH – Nautica Pavilion

Man....if this is still for The Incident, San Antonio could be my third show on this tour!

Aug 12th Hollywood, CA – Hollywood Palladium. I'm seriously considering going to this one, PT are great in concert, the one I went to in Seattle was one of the best concerts I ever attended. It helped that I was five feet from the front-center of the stage.

On another note: I'm starting to get interested in Opeth. Any thoughts on where is a good place to start?

On a funny note: I was in Best Buy yesterday, and the "Manager's Special" was Chinese Democracy, on sale for $1.99, and the box was full to the brim -- I was almost tempted...:blush2:

I really like all the Steve Wilson produced Opeth. . . I'd recommend starting with the DVD "Lamentations" which was my intro to the band. SEEING them really helped. This is material from the Wilson albums. KILLER. Also a long documentary featurette of the band and Wilson in the studio. "Damnation" is probably my favorite album of Opeth's, but I'm liking all of them more and more.

Edited by jazzbo

I agree with Lon, start with the Lamentations video...it's cheap, it's got a nice cross-section of the Wilson albums (contractually that's all they could play for the video anyway) and the sound/video is excellent. It's a good way to get acclimated to their sound and you can really see how passionately they play their music.

(Lamentations is available on Netflix instant streaming by the way)

My favorite records are the two most recent; Ghost Reveries (2006) & Watershed (2008). But I've gotten to the point where I like all of them now.

Edited by Shawn