Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

31QMW4VQWJL.jpg

Sonny Rollins Complete Prestige. Woke up this morning with "Mambo Bounce" running through my head - definitely the first time that's ever happened - so today I spun that session (Rollins' first as leader), along with the Miles session with Rollins and Bird on tenors and the "Movin' Out" session. I thoroughly enjoyed it all, even if Sonny's greatest achievements were still in the future. I was going a little crazy trying to identify the obscure-yet-familiar chord changes on which Rollins based "Movin' Out," but then Sonny played a quote from "Chinatown, My Chinatown" and I got it.

MI0001609828.jpg

Disc four - "Sonny Meets Hawk" and the first four tracks from "Now's the Time" ... guess I'll pop in disc five, too (not enough time for disc six right now, alas).

Somehow, whenever I turn my back on this box, I keep to underestimate the greatness of the music it contains, can't quite explain why, but this is amazing stuff!

413l8BxCMGL.jpg

Cheapo set, I know - but a nice addition to the Mosaic ... playing the four tracks with Herb Ellis from the Kern, Rodgers and Youmans songbooks (the other tracks are all with Kessel and part of the Mosaic, the info in the above box is way off there, Ellis' first date was Dec. 10, 1953, on Dec. 6 & Dec. 7, Kessel was returning), then the Warren, Arlen and McHugh songbooks, and finally the Plays Count Basie album on the last disc.

51uIyGCAtNL._SX300_.jpg

Louis Armstrong - The Okeh, Columbia & RCA Victor Recordings 1925-1933. Now spinning disc eight of the flawed-but-wonderful set. The Okeh big band sides on this disc sound better than any other issue I've heard - reason enough to be glad I have this set, in spite of the flaws on other discs.

51uIyGCAtNL._SX300_.jpg

Louis Armstrong - The Okeh, Columbia & RCA Victor Recordings 1925-1933. Now spinning disc eight of the flawed-but-wonderful set. The Okeh big band sides on this disc sound better than any other issue I've heard - reason enough to be glad I have this set, in spite of the flaws on other discs.

If you commented on this in other posts, I missed it but what are the flaws in the other discs?

51uIyGCAtNL._SX300_.jpg

If you commented on this in other posts, I missed it but what are the flaws in the other discs?

I learned from others here, confirmed by other sites - the first four discs, the Hot Fives and Sevens, are the same as Columbia's original Hot 5/7 CDs from the mid 1980s. Not only has the sound been surpassed by subsequent reissues, the tracks weren't speed-corrected, so that some of them aren't in the right key.

I bought this set anyway, to have the Okeh big band sides complete. The sound is fine on those discs.