Matana Roberts

frankie

A lot of people seem to be asleep on this amazing lady. what gives????? I saw her perform at Tonic on dec 5th and she brought countless people to a completely other world( if you don't believe it read the NY Times review linked on her website at www.matanaroberts.com). absolutely amazing. I then saw her again last night at the Vision dance series doing a duo with a talented dancer named julia somethingorother.....

Matana is the real deal, shes an amazing player and has a visual sophistication and finesse that I personally think is lacking in this generation of jazz musician( though thats just an old croagy like me who remembers the golden years of her predecessors who had real style and grace, along with amazing chops!!!) -- Matana is a definite force to be reckoned with, but does not seem to be getting the same exposure as her contemporaries.

will somebody pass the word that this woman's voice needs to be documented, and shouldnt be kept such a god damned secret?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard Roberts several times about 12 years or more years ago (when I believe she was a student at DePaul U.) at a regular Hyde Park area Sunday night jam session hosted by an old friend of mine, drummer Doug Mitchell, at Jimmy's Woodlawn Tap. Roberts already was very impressive in a more or less Steve Coleman bag, and it seemed likely she would become a special player. Caught her several times in recent years on visits she's made to Chicago with her trio Sticks and Stones (drummer Chad Taylor and bassist Josh Abrams), and she was in very good to superb form each time -- definitely a major young player IMO and more interesting than a whole lot of players of any age. On the other hand, the two albums of hers that I'm aware of (one on 482 Music, the other on Thrill Jockey) don't come close to capturing what I heard from Roberts "live," again IMO -- in part because of less than ideal sound, in part perhaps because making a record that captures what one can really do is often not easy.

A couple of months ago, Taylor Ho Bynum gave me a copy of an album he did with Matana - with Thomson Kneeland on bass, and Tomas Fujiwara on drums - Matana's 'The Calling' on Utech Records.

This is a live club recording - so I don't know how you'd find it comparing to the Sticks and Stones records, Larry? - and I really, really like it.

The first thing that strikes me is Matana's tone - distinctive, highly vocal, and completely beautiful. The repertoire is also interesting - they finish with 'Do you know what it means (to miss New Orleans)' - (apparently the date was very shortly after the catastrophe). They also do 'My Man', and a Ra tune.

I would definitely recommend this if you can find a copy - all four members play fantastically well. One of the best things I heard last year.

[Thinking of female AACM associated musicians, I'll bet Matana and Nicole Mitchell would sound wonderful together.]

yep. she definately has a very eccentric and fun way of trying to get dressed for her music it seems... some choices a little outlandish but I just proscribe as being a part of the youth today and the fact that I'm at an age where I still have clothes I wore 15 years ago....but i've seen her perform in many different visual fashion ensembles, and I must say she works hard to not follow any trends and just seems to be trailblazing her own way. She apparently makes a lot of her own apparel. At the tonic show she was in this floor length black gown that my wife and I thought was just stunning... but fashion choices aside her sound is one of the most beautiful I have heard in a long time. Many of her contemporaries can't really touch her in that regard in my opinion. I've got everything I could find with her on it, but most of it does not compare to her live performances which just tells me that she may not have come into the kind of support yet that would allow her to record a stellar recording, which I find a really sad state of affairs.

A couple of months ago, Taylor Ho Bynum gave me a copy of an album he did with Matana - with Thomson Kneeland on bass, and Tomas Fujiwara on drums - Matana's 'The Calling' on Utech Records.

This is a live club recording - so I don't know how you'd find it comparing to the Sticks and Stones records, Larry? - and I really, really like it.

The first thing that strikes me is Matana's tone - distinctive, highly vocal, and completely beautiful. The repertoire is also interesting - they finish with 'Do you know what it means (to miss New Orleans)' - (apparently the date was very shortly after the catastrophe). They also do 'My Man', and a Ra tune.

Roberts' tone, as I recall it from live performance, was exactly as you describe it, Red, and that's what wasn't captured on the two recordings I've heard. I think I tried to to buy a copy of the Utech record but wasn't able to, for reasons I no longer recall. Roberts has a blog:

http://blog.myspace.com/matanaroberts

I really think she's happy with her thighs. The rest of it too. I'd be more receptive if she didn't use those "crutches" but probably wouldn't know of her if she didn't.

I dont think thats very nice. Just because a woman chooses to wear a short skirt on occasion doesn't neccessarily mean she's trying to use a "crutch" of any sort. The many times I've seen her perform I am pretty certain that this sort of thinking is not part of her thought in presentation. She seems to me to just be a free spirit and very confident in herself--which is something I think she needs in such a male dominated art form.

If you want to see a female artist using that stuff as a crutch look at somebody like Mindy Abair...

but all that aside I am just most interested in talking about her music not her "look". Lets get back to that.

I really think she's happy with her thighs. The rest of it too. I'd be more receptive if she didn't use those "crutches" but probably wouldn't know of her if she didn't.

I dont think thats very nice. Just because a woman chooses to wear a short skirt on occasion doesn't neccessarily mean she's trying to use a "crutch" of any sort. The many times I've seen her perform I am pretty certain that this sort of thinking is not part of her thought in presentation. She seems to me to just be a free spirit and very confident in herself--which is something I think she needs in such a male dominated art form.

If you want to see a female artist using that stuff as a crutch look at somebody like Mindy Abair...

but all that aside I am just most interested in talking about her music not her "look". Lets get back to that.

I don't give a shit about her looks. I'm looking for music to interest me. I think the "visual image" messes all that stuff up and a male could not do that.

If Sonny Rollins or Anthony Braxton show up "in costume" I'll back off.

I don't give a shit about her looks. I'm looking for music to interest me. I think the "visual image" messes all that stuff up and a male could not do that.

But Thats where I think you don't get it, as obviously you have never heard her live. Her music speaks for itself. And I think you need to refamiliarize yourself with the great Chicago tradition from which she comes. She's a member of the AACM for crying out loud.

And I think you need to refamiliarize yourself with the great Chicago tradition from which she comes. She's a member of the AACM for crying out loud.

Yeah, that's what I need to do. Get a friggin' grip. Go back and read my post.

Edit to post: Deal with the costume shit. If you want to discuss historical AACM costumes, take me on. I was there.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

and to also add-- I have seen her off gig as well as on and she seems to be just as creative in dress for either situation. I think it is a natural attribute and it gives her inspiration to keep at her imaginative work-- I'm telling you that Tonic show was incredible. Though I may be putting words in her mouth there-- I have never approached her to ever inquire of such. Has anyone here?

But Thats where I think you don't get it, as obviously you have never heard her live. Her music speaks for itself. And I think you need to refamiliarize yourself with the great Chicago tradition from which she comes. She's a member of the AACM for crying out loud.

And I think you need to refamiliarize yourself with the great Chicago tradition from which she comes. She's a member of the AACM for crying out loud.

Yeah, that's what I need to do. Get a friggin' grip. Go back and read my post.

Edit to post: Deal with the costume shit. If you want to discuss historical AACM costumes, take me on. I was there.

I know you were there which is why I find your comments odd and somewhat unkind. I don't think Robert's visual thing is about costume-- though I don't know this for certain from the many times I have seen her this is my educated guess. Now why don't you try to deal with her music, I guess is my point. You don't see the "costume" that you speak of when you listen to her sounds on your stereo? Sonny had Mohawk, and Braxton is a professor.... Was Miles in "costume" too? Don Cherry? Monk loved his hats-- every jazz musician of any great lore had expressive dress...... I'm sorry, I mean no disrespect but it just seems to me that her contribution is too important to throw out just because she chooses to decorate herself in her own distinctive way. Sorry to sound like a sexist pig here, but she is a woman afterall.

Sorry to sound like a sexist pig here, but she is a woman afterall.

So...........

you are right. that was a questionable remark on my part. I read an essay--she writes too, publishes her own collection of writings-- where she spoke pretty heavily about the gender problems she has faced in music. I think its online somewhere still. Anyway my wife pointed out after reading it that what we have seen in Ms. Roberts over the years has in some way come full circle to a complete expressiveness of her confidence in herself that seems to show in how she chooses to expresses herself visually--on stage and off. My wife could put it better.... She is celebrating her music I think in visual representation, and me thinks thats positive.

And regarding men and dress-- I guess I don't completely understand your commentary--since remember " you were there"-- What about the Art Ensemble?Look at the history of musics of the world--Balinese, Indian.....Mozart wore makeup and a god damned wig....Miles had hair extensions. Pat Metheny's hair sometimes has a "costume" quality to it.... Lord knows the are ton of double standards in jazz music regarding men and women musicians... Is Hamid Drake in "costume"? What about Sunra??? Was Billes hair flower to much to take her seriously??? So Ms. Roberts can wear a dress or a skirt from time to time or put on makeup? So does joseph jaarman, Milford Graves etc etc.... In my opinion she's just continuing a tradition that came before her in albeit her own distinctive way-- and as a woman in this art form she has to reconcile a many different complex identities into her very own sensical way.

But all that aside--- my dear man she's an amazing sound maker that harkins back to a sound on the horn that I feel hasn' t been around in decades--- that must count for something pretty large in your book....

But all that aside--- my dear man she's an amazing sound maker that harkins back to a sound on the horn that I feel hasn' t been around in decades--- that must count for something pretty large in your book....

"Harkining back" is not my favorite mode of musical expression.

I don't think I'm your "dear man".

"Harkining back" is not my favorite mode of musical expression.

I don't think I'm your "dear man".

wow. okay. I'm new to this forum, and completely into a healthy debate about music which is why I joined in the first place. But it is obvious to me from your comments that you are more interested in just being really mean spirited and thats fine. We've all gotta make it through one way or the other.....

I guess I just wanted to make sure that people are aware of Matana-- I didnt mean to fall into a debate about how one chooses to clothe thier body. I think we are both wasting our thoughts on that one. I'm sorry to have delved into that arena. She could wear a paper bag for all I care and I'd still want to hear her music...... What she is doing here in NYC is really special and for those who have not seen any of her recent developments you are in for a treat when you do. There is no one--atleast here-- that is making the kind of creative waves that she is, and I really believe she's a big part of a legacy that will be cherished for a very long time.

Now anyone out there interested in talking about her music not her fashion choices? Would love to continue a healthy conversation about it if you have the time.

thanx.

Frankie -- Based on what I've heard, I don't think of Roberts as a big "harkener back."

what do you mean?

I mean that her playing, while aware of those aspects of the jazz past that strike her as attractive, is rooted in the musical present as she sees it and also seems to me to have a basic newness to it language-wise. In particular, she's never struck me as one of those players who makes a gesture in the direction of "the tradition" as though that ought to earn her some extra credit.