Stravinsky's Rite Of Spring

HolyStitt

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, there were several Rites on 78 sets. There's a composer-conducted version with a lousy French orchestra from about 1929; a version conducted by Pierre Monteux (who gave the premiere) with a slightly less lousy French orchestra, also made about 1929; Stokowski and the Philadelphia Orchestra (as heard in "Fantasia") from the 1930s; and a 1940s remake with the composer conducting the New York Philharmonic. That remake is really, REALLY good.

Those are the 78 recordings that come to mind. There are probably others.

• 7 months later...

Not just Rite of Spring...22 discs of Stravinsky conducting Stravinsky (CBS) is being (re)released on November 13. Amazon price is $31.49.

Customer review link.

I linked it to the customer review page as one of the reviews does a better job of listing the contents than Amazon's entry. CD Universe says it's 1 CD with 427 cuts. :blink: Sounds like there's next to nothing in terms of notes, but certainly a nice "price per lb."

The recent recordings by Rattle and Salonen (I've listened to them because I wanted a version on SACD) didn't convince me either. Not that they are bad, but I always prefer the Boulez, with it's perfect balance of precision and wildness.

I myself think one cannot go wrong with the recent Salonen on DG. Boulez sounds tame and safe in comparison.

ok ok i just have to comment, you know how the common jazz musican 101 dogma has been like how jazz musicans really dig on stravinsky, which i think stemmed from bird liking him, etc....anyways you know how the common dictum is like jazz cats are "hip" to stravinsky when it comes to classical? well chewy's here to tell you that thats all f'ing bullshit. all these cats who tell me: stravinskys can be jazzy. they are so full of it. Tchaikovsky's melodies have twice as much to do with jazz than stravinskys. tchaikovsky is better, i dont care what you guys say

Chewy! Where ya been?

I like Stavinsky because he's good, not because it's "hip" to like him.  And I don't interpret his music as "jazz", it's just Stravinsky being Stravinsky. I've played his "Ebony Concerto" and (like many of his works) while it does undeniably contain elements of jazz, it's not jazz, it's Stravinsky, and that in and of itself is pretty interesting to my ears.  He swings hard in the way that only he can.  Tchaikovsky swings hard, too.

common jazz musican 101 dogma

Never took that class, it was an elective. :)

Edited by Free For All

Not just Rite of Spring...22 discs of Stravinsky conducting Stravinsky (CBS) is being (re)released on November 13. Amazon price is $31.49.

I linked it to the customer review page as one of the reviews does a better job of listing the contents than Amazon's entry. CD Universe says it's 1 CD with 427 cuts. :blink: Sounds like there's next to nothing in terms of notes, but certainly a nice "price per lb."

It should be here any day! :excited:

It's Stravinsky conducting Stravinsky, Stravinsky conducting Stravinsky, it's better than bad, it's good!

It should be here any day! :excited:

It's Stravinsky conducting Stravinsky, Stravinsky conducting Stravinsky, it's better than bad, it's good!

I got this about a month ago from an Amazon independent seller for about the same price. Yet they say it's yet to be released....?

It's great collection, I'm really enjoying it. :tup

From the Ashley Kahn "Impulse" book, Alice and john Coltrane are trying to decide what to listen to one afternoon, after a few suggestions John says "Something greater, something vast, something with multiple, higher dimensions." Alice replies "OK, what would that be?" John says "Stravinsky."