comments heard in music stores...

7/4

I was in Mandolin Bros. on Saturday and they were giving a "tour" of the store. Stan Jay was telling his guests about the dehumidifiers and a woman asked if he had backup generators for the dehumidifiers. :lol:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favorite overheard comments in a music store was in the basement of Streetside Records in Kansas City about five years ago. A teenage girl asked her mother about Wynton Marsalis and Branford Marsalis. She said, "their albums sound like Lee Morgan albums, only not as good."

One of my favorite overheard comments in a music store was in the basement of Streetside Records in Kansas City about five years ago. A teenage girl asked her mother about Wynton Marsalis and Branford Marsalis. She said, "their albums sound like Lee Morgan albums, only not as good."

Mother knows best. :P

I'm paraphrasing, but this is pretty darn close to the original (also heard in that same Streetside Records location in KC)...

"Our aunt just died, and for the funeral we're looking for a recording of a slow, moody, brooding version of Blue Suede Shoes -- played on organ."

"Where's that section?"

I was in Mandolin Bros. on Saturday and they were giving a "tour" of the store. Stan Jay was telling his guests about the dehumidifiers and a woman asked if he had backup generators for the dehumidifiers. :lol:

That's pretty good. :) I've never been to Mandolin Bros., but I used to get their inventory lists by mail back in the 80's and 90's. I always enjoyed their wacky instrument descriptions (which have continued to the present day on their website). I'm curious... is the atmosphere in the store as nutty as the atmosphere they create in print?

That's pretty good. :) I've never been to Mandolin Bros., but I used to get their inventory lists by mail back in the 80's and 90's. I always enjoyed their wacky instrument descriptions (which have continued to the present day on their website). I'm curious... is the atmosphere in the store as nutty as the atmosphere they create in print?

I'd say the store is all business. You can grab anything off the wall and try it. Nice show rooms...

Both of these statements were addressed to me; the first at Elderly Instruments:

"What kind of pick to you use? ... You can't play jazz with that pick!"

and at a Wherehouse Records years ago, as I was buying a Mingus CD, the girl behind the counter, making a reference to the recent Hal Wilner release...

"I have weird nightmares!"

Both of these statements were addressed to me; the first at Elderly Instruments:

"What kind of pick to you use? ... You can't play jazz with that pick!"

and at a Wherehouse Records years ago, as I was buying a Mingus CD, the girl behind the counter, making a reference to the recent Hal Wilner release...

"I have weird nightmares!"

That's the kind of girl you take home "right now" and keep a pistol under the pillow.

Guess that store is gone now. :(

Stood browsing the diminishing jazz section in the local HMV when a couple of 'chavs' walked past. One of them muttered "wanker's music"! :D

Chavs and wankers - 2 reasons I stay out of GB. :)

Wise choice.

A few months back, I was walking past the book department in an HMV. Two chavs were standing in front of the display, staring blankly. Finally, one turns to the other and says...

"I can't read books. Does my fuckin' head in."

Stood browsing the diminishing jazz section in the local HMV when a couple of 'chavs' walked past. One of them muttered "wanker's music"! :D

Chavs and wankers - 2 reasons I stay out of GB. :)

Nah - it's chavs, wankers and toffs. ;)

Let's not get all nationalistic....you never know where it might lead us :w:o

From Gillingham, Kent:

"Her boyfriend will probably be called Dwayne or Tyrone etc who by this time will be staying at Her Majesty's pleasure".

Didn't realise they were into Messrs (Duane) Tatro and Washington down there. It can't be all bad ! :lol:

Edited by sidewinder

"Andover is geographically isolated from other towns and the inbreeding here is of the highest quality. The chavs cannot afford to travel and the next town is a good 20 miles away so is well beyond BMX/scooter distance. This place is worthy of study as the Galapagos islands were to Darwin."

Very true. :lol:

You hear all kinds of crazy shit, but this is one of may favorites. The only problem is it may not translate very well in words. You had to see the facial expressions and hear it said.

Tower Records in Carle Place, Long Island....

A man looking at a Modern Jazz Quartet cd...

"Oh shit, these guys, M.....J.....Q....."

Yelling to his wife across the room...., "Baby this is real right here, all these others are perpetrating!"

An older man (store employee) turns around and says "If you like that, follow me to pick some Tito Puente".

"Tito Puente?, no shit? ....well,let's go"!

Edited by catesta

This one may come with an asterisk as it did not happen in a music store, but instead took place in an art museum gift shop (the Kemper Museum in Kansas City). A couple in their seventies or eighties, who looked like two of the old people on the Andy Griffith show, perhaps Clara (Aunt Bee's friend), and one of the many elderly men on that show, were standing there with their super clean-cut, all American girl daughter, probably in her early fifties. The daughter had a bubble hairdo, ugly glasses and Wal Mart clothing.

I say all of that not to insult them, but only to set the mood for what they said. The daughter said, "Well, now that I have heard your albums by Larry Coryell and the Eleventh House, I wonder if I would like any traditional jazz. I have never really heard any."