Grado SR 60

CJ Shearn

ordered them cuz my Sennheiser HD 202's shorted out unfortunately. Now I have a Technics receiver and not a headphone amp, so what kind of sound can I expect from the Grado's? I know several have praised them here.

I have Grado headphones and I love them. I don't recall which model at the moment (they were about $90 or so). They are much better than the pair of Sennheiser's I used to have.

I have a pair of SR-60's and have not been overly impressed, although they were an upgrade from the pair I was borrowing from United Airlines. They are light and comfortable but they don't give me that "close your eyes and you are there" feeling. I have read somewhere about people who cut a whole in the ear pads to provide more detail. I'm not sure what to expect for a headphone in this price range, but if I were to do it again I would probably save my pennies a little longer and get something nicer.

I have SR60s, SR80s, Sennheisers and a variety of others. I like the SR60s just fine, though some find them a bit uncomfortable ("vice-like"). In terms of sound, they give about 87% of the quality on gets from a far more expensive pair, so they've always seemed like a pretty good trade-off to me...even if they're not fully up to the hype.

In general, IMO, it's best to listen to audio things before buying, though, arguably on a (roughly) $69 purchase, it's not worth a lot of running around.

I have Grado SR125s and like them a lot. The original over-the-ear pads were very fatiguing to wear, though; they cut into the back of my apparently too-large-for-Grado ears. Finally, I got some replacement pads from a good hi-fi store that fit Grados and rest on the ear and don't enclose it, as the original Grado pads do. As I recall, the on-the-ear pads very slightly change the sound "style" and/or imaging of the phones, as one might expect (if only because the sound sources are now a bit further from your ear drums), but the phones still sound fine to me, and the increase in comfort makes a big difference. I should add that I listen through speakers most of the time, using phones only when I want to listen in a very close-in "analytical" manner or don't want to disturb my wife when listening to something very loud late at night.

Glad you like them! They were my first 'proper' casn and my intro to Grado Labs. Now I'm a Grado convert!

As you go up the range they do improve but for the money the 60s are by far the best to go for.

Powered straight from an iPod, receiver or integrated amp they sound great being such low impedance 'phones. Even the 225s which I use for 'portable' use around the home sound great unamped.

They have a huge cult following over on Head-Fi and in the UK they're quite sought after especially given their hefty price tags.

Welcome aboard! :)

I've used the SR 80s for years, but they were a bit unwieldy for transport during travel. I had been trying to find something for that purpose (I can't deal with the ear bud, in-ear design) so I bit on the iGrado, which claims to use the same driver as the SR 60, and sells for $50.

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-i-Headphones-i...rd_i=B000K6BTT0

I'd be curious to hear if any SR 60 users have tried these and could compare. Compared to the SR 80 there's a tad less clarity at the top end of the scale, and a bit more heft on the lower end. It's a pleasingly rich, full range sound to me, and strangely, I find the SR 80s a bit thin sounding now, even though direct comparison shows the slight lack of full treble extension on the iGrados. You can't fold these up, the design IS a bit strange (but grows on you), but the profile is good for travel (a shorter cord, mini-jack does help), and I find I'm listening to my portable devices much more on trips now.

Edited by tatifan

I've used the SR 80s for years, but they were a bit unwieldy for transport during travel. I had been trying to find something for that purpose (I can't deal with the ear bud, in-ear design) so I bit on the iGrado, which claims to use the same driver as the SR 60, and sells for $50.

I'd be curious to hear if any SR 60 users have tried these and could compare. Compared to the SR 80 there's a tad less clarity at the top end of the scale, and a bit more heft on the lower end. It's a pleasingly rich, full range sound to me, and strangely, I find the SR 80s a bit thin sounding now, even though direct comparison shows the slight lack of full treble extension on the iGrados. You can't fold these up, the design IS a bit strange (but grows on you), but the profile is good for travel (a shorter cord, mini-jack does help), and I find I'm listening to my portable devices much more on trips now.

Hiya, I bought the iGrado when it first came out but found myself prefering my Ety Er6i for 'on the go', outside use. Also as a spectacle wearer the iGrado were a nightmare -- nothing really wrong with the sound (that heft your refer to is a pretty accurate description), just comfort issues with that ear band thing. I sold them on eBay to a Canadian buyer; they suffer the same high prices as us Brits!

Give the Audio Technica ES7 a try for decent portable 'non earbud' cans, they might be just what you're looking for. This from a Grado convert! :ph34r:

I bought a pair of Sennheiser PX100's for travel. They fold up nicely and sound good to me. I'd give them a similar description, soundwise, though I'm certainly not an audiophile. Are either of you familiar with these earphones?

Hiya, I bought the iGrado when it first came out but found myself prefering my Ety Er6i for 'on the go', outside use. Also as a spectacle wearer the iGrado were a nightmare -- nothing really wrong with the sound (that heft your refer to is a pretty accurate description), just comfort issues with that ear band thing. I sold them on eBay to a Canadian buyer; they suffer the same high prices as us Brits!

Give the Audio Technica ES7 a try for decent portable 'non earbud' cans, they might be just what you're looking for. This from a Grado convert! :ph34r: