I can no longer trust new USA vinyl production....

wolff

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.

BTW I think it would be a better and more serious commercial policy solving problems before selling stuff, shall we call Nader for a stupid record?

If as someone stated in the thread:

Just like we can't use Freon anymore in our air conditioners, vinyl makers cannot use certain "agents" in the vinyl recipe that keep it quiet. It's now against USA health standards. Companies like RTI are scrambling to make up new formulations that work to do the same thing. It's a constant changing process though. Blame the US EPA.

Records are not software, where I can fix bugs downloading the latest realase.

We are talking about shipping in and out records, I might be a bit upset for the hassle of repackaging, lost my time queing at postal office, and yes, call me naive, but I don't like the earth polluted twice or more with UPS or FedEx airplanes and trucks going here and there with my records.

About the impact of enviromental issues on reproduced music you can read this:

A Lead Free World?

http://www.tnt-audio.com/edcorner/july06.html

the point here is Hoffman's hypocrisy - because he often criticizes specific work that is done, bad mastering, bad companies, bad pressings - but apparently this is not to be done if he has a direct financial interest - cowardice andd hypocrisy of the worst kind -

and if he had threatened to follow my work around the internet I would have filed a formal complaint with some agency; this is a kind of harrassment -

Did he? :blink:

He did to me. He informed me that due to my posts, I was on some list of his moderators and they (not him) would follow me around on the internet to see if I was speaking badly of Steve. I think they have banned some people in the past for dissing Steve on other sites. It seemed a little wierd to me and even Steve typed the word sigh after informing me of his over protective moderators actions. Initially I was a little irritated by the idea, but I have nothing to hide There is some good information on his site that is worth gleaning, but on the other side, there sure are a lot of freaks on that board imo. I called Steve on this hypocrisy but I got no response regarding that matter. It's ok though, at least he knows some of the people who populate his board are not complete drones.

the point here is Hoffman's hypocrisy - because he often criticizes specific work that is done, bad mastering, bad companies, bad pressings - but apparently this is not to be done if he has a direct financial interest - cowardice andd hypocrisy of the worst kind -

and if he had threatened to follow my work around the internet I would have filed a formal complaint with some agency; this is a kind of harrassment -

He did to me. He informed me that due to my posts, I was on some list of his moderators and they (not him) would follow me around on the internet to see if I was speaking badly of Steve. I think they have banned some people in the past for dissing Steve on other sites. It seemed a little wierd to me and even Steve typed the word sigh after informing me of his over protective moderators actions. Initially I was a little irritated by the idea, but I have nothing to hide There is some good information on his site that is worth gleaning, but on the other side, there sure are a lot of freaks on that board imo. I called Steve on this hypocrisy but I got no response regarding that matter. It's ok though, at least he knows some of the people who populate his board are not complete drones.

A list? ...For Godsake, A LIST?

I can't believe it. What the hell does HOFFMAN, or his worshippers, pretend to be?

JIMMY HOFFA?

And what are the names of moderators: Lucky Luciano, Sam Giancana?

Hoffman should remaster NIXON, E.J. HOOVER and JOE MCCARTHY' speeches, instead of BN or James Taylor.

A LIST! Unbelievable! :bad:

Edited by porcy62

FWIW I haven't got a german pressing of bad quality: from late seventies' Van Morrison's reissues to early ECM. When I am in a used record's store I look for them, dutch pressings are good too IME.

Just to sidetrack - I would say that I have had the same experience, no matter what the label. MOOD, ECM, SABA - they all sound great.

FWIW I haven't got a german pressing of bad quality: from late seventies' Van Morrison's reissues to early ECM. When I am in a used record's store I look for them, dutch pressings are good too IME.

Just to sidetrack - I would say that I have had the same experience, no matter what the label. MOOD, ECM, SABA - they all sound great.

Indeed! And don't understimate the dutch pressings: mine are gorgeous: my Pat Garret And Billy The Kid (Dylan's soundtracks CBS dutch) is one my test records when I want to audition a system.

He did to me. He informed me that due to my posts, I was on some list of his moderators and they (not him) would follow me around on the internet to see if I was speaking badly of Steve. I think they have banned some people in the past for dissing Steve on other sites.

And what did you do? Given that type of Gestapo tactic, I would

A) Forward the threatening email via PM to every member of the Hoffman forum, to make sure everyone knows how they treat people who criticize the Saint.

B) I think I'd start a blog about Hoffman and his Gestapo tactics, and make sure my site stayed near the top of search engines.

B) I think I'd start a blog about Hoffman and his Gestapo tactics, and make sure my site stayed near the top of search engines.

http://stereocentral.tv/phpbb/index.php

Lots of really hateful, juvenile stuff here, but also some funny (and warranted) bitching, mostly about the moderators and some of the more zealous sycophants. And no, I don't post there. Personally, I like Steve and his work, but some of his followers are a bit wacky.

Lots of really hateful, juvenile stuff here, but also some funny (and warranted) bitching, mostly about the moderators and some of the more zealous sycophants. And no, I don't post there. Personally, I like Steve and his work, but some of his followers are a bit wacky.

Agreed. His moderators are overzealoused in their "protection" of Steve's rep. I'm not out to damage Steve or his work. I don't agree with the deleting and editing of people's posts, as it makes it hard for me to believe what is presented there. I suppose it's Steve's website and he can do what he wants, but personally since I've seen the editing in action it only soils his reputation from my point of view. At least with websites like this place, people can say what they feel and I can decide on my own what I should filter out and what to believe.

BTW, what is the information source for this supposedly bad vinyl being used at RTI?

Oh man, thanks so much for this! Some of the people they are picking on over there... they are nailing them perfectly.

And here I thought I was the only one who thought Barry Diament has a screw loose. :D

Holy crap that site is funny!!! :tup

Can anyone direct me to some specific threads?

http://stereocentral.tv/phpbb/index.php is not really that funny unless you've interacted with some of the Hoffman forum members. A lot of them are a bit eccentric, including the man himself.

Some of the guys they're skewering, like Dave The Night Gort, LeeS and Grant, are being parodied perfectly. Dave The Night Gort was (I always wished I'd seen how he left) a particularly loony poster, with ears of gold that heard things that did not exist who then swore that Steve once told him he had great ears.

I love the poster whose avatar is Steve Hoffman standing next to those holographic coat racks that he endorses. :D

Apropos thread nazis, All About Jazz has one who calls himself Jkelman (or something like that), If you don't agree with his politics (and, for all I know, other views), he will go after you. I have not checked in there for a long time and I won't until I hear that he has been banished.

I guess his real name is Adenoid Hynkel (man)

large_13047.jpg

Apropos thread nazis, All About Jazz has one who calls himself Jkelman (or something like that), If you don't agree with his politics (and, for all I know, other views), he will go after you. I have not checked in there for a long time and I won't until I hear that he has been banished.

Isn't he a moderator? He also does a lot of their CD reviews.

He is a moderator (sans moderation) and he may well do reviews, but he is a major jerk who has scared away from that site several people who have something of substance to contribute. His major problem--apart from being dictatorial--is that he seems obsessed by a need to exercise power, which--I suppose--is why he volunteers for this monitoring job. It's too bad, because Mike has worked hard to create a site that stands out among jazz sites and should have a forum that invites rather than discourages dialogue. jklman's own narrow mind does not allow this. I can just imagine what his reviews are like!

He is a moderator (sans moderation) and he may well do reviews, but he is a major jerk who has scared away from that site several people who have something of substance to contribute. His major problem--apart from being dictatorial--is that he seems obsessed by a need to exercise power, which--I suppose--is why he volunteers for this monitoring job. It's too bad, because Mike has worked hard to create a site that stands out among jazz sites and should have a forum that invites rather than discourages dialogue. jklman's own narrow mind does not allow this. I can just imagine what his reviews are like!

In a related way, I think this is what's wrong with the moderators (gorts) on Hoffman's board. They may be so infatuated with his work and they want to be close to the man and "help him out" so they can feel like they are in his inner circle and hence are over the top in their approach to moderating. They are protecting Steve and his name in their eyes and they are doing him a lot of harm in the process. If you go out to wikipedia and search Steve Hoffman's name, you'll find an entry that was started by one of his fans who thought he was important enough to warrant a place there. What has happened is a big fight and it's quite interesting from the perspective of understanding how things get documented in Wikipedia. In the mean time, my resepect for Hoffman continues to dwindle.