Django Reinhardt...

EKE BBB

Ubu, the first Django Reinhardt JSP box 'The Classic Early Recordings' included quite a number of tracks that are not on the Mosaic box. Among those are the superb sides recorded for Decca in London that are not on the Jazz in Paris series either.

Not that I am the one who intends to dilapidate your money but I think that first box is one to get. I should add that the JSP people worked from excellent 78rpm sources and they did improve on the sound on quite a lot of the Django classics. Can't speak for the second Django box which I didn't get since it did not seem to include additional or better material than what was available elsewhere.

• 1 month later...

up...

I stumbled across the Django Mosaic box at Waterloo last weekend while visiting Austin. Surprised to see it there in the first place, since I didn't think this one was released to retail (?).

But they were asking about $150-$160 for it, which seems strange to me, since it's still in print and is selling for $96.00 on the Mosaic website.

Was this perhaps a vinyl version that's out of print or something? Or are they just hoping to sell it for above market value?

Shoulda looked more closely, but my hands were already full ;)

• 1 year later...

The French label Fremeaux has completed its doubleCD series of Django Reinhardt recordings. The final issue (volume 20) has just been released:

Django Reinhardt Vol. 20

It includes the 1953 recordings plus several radio broadcasts on disc 1, then various rare tracks (most of them with Django, others with associates) from 1928 to 1953 that were not available at the start of the series.

I've loved Django since first hearing him in college. He's one of those artists who transcends genre. I can't imagine anyone not liking his stuff, even if they're not jazz heads. Many folk and country musicians revere him, for instance.

I've got the Mosaic and a bunch of random vinyl things, plus a lot of his stuff with American musicians. Looks like the JIPs are where to go next--and that first JSP box sounds tempting.

Edited by Kalo

a word of caution re JSP sets, I've had a number of minor problems with discs skipping or drop outs on three JSP box sets I've had.

In one case there was no metallic layer on the disc at all. I was spinning the Django Vol. 1 last night and noticed a number of noticeable clicks on various tracks- nothing horrendous but I do wonder about their production standards

a word of caution re JSP sets, I've had a number of minor problems with discs skipping or drop outs on three JSP box sets I've had.

In one case there was no metallic layer on the disc at all. I was spinning the Django Vol. 1 last night and noticed a number of noticeable clicks on various tracks- nothing horrendous but I do wonder about their production standards

On the other hand Django's Mosaic set is the worst sounding Django. I must admit (don't have right to criticize), I've heard the same transfers as on Mosaic, on some old CD (if you're interesting in, I can try to trace what transfers on what particular CD sounds the same as on Mosaic). They both have one technical issue I remembered: portions of attacks of Grapelly's notes and f.e. trumpet player notes are wiped off so you can hear it audibly well - because of using early stages of some digital filter. It's possible Mosaic used that old material while not doing transfers from 78s, don't know what is the case here.

Speaking about JSP set - it sounds marvelous, and vinyl pressings of some old 78s can bring sparkling sound with no noise at all. Of course, there are 2 or 3 takes in such sound, but I thing they are gorgeous... real audio gems.

Edited by mmilovan

Got the two Django boxes on JSP and can't report any problems with mine, they're marvellous.

Agree about the packaging though... how hard can it be to make these things look decent? They also bill them as 'chronological' which they plainly are anything but!

First set was remasterd by Mr. Davies.  Second set. . . I don't have it. . .I've been told it is uncredited and sounds fine.  Third set was remastered by Ted Kendall (Davies' protege so to speak).

Think I've read Ted Kendall's name on the first set as well...

Whoever it was, Kendall or J.R.T. Davies, it's real pleasure, especially while listening to "Chicago" played by Django and Stephane - with no noise at all (transfers of 78s metal parts pressed in vinyl), at full range audio spectrum. :tup

Edited by mmilovan

• 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

51p%2BL1hKZcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Would that be the same material as in the Mosaic box?

i got this box and it contains some ultraphone (a small label whose claim to fame was having recorded django and which was later bought up by vogue) sessions from 1934-35, and different radio broadcasts from 1945 and 47, a concert from Brussels and something i still haven't listened to. i don't know what's in the mosaic but here it's mostly the usual quintet with stephane grapelli or, after 1945, with hubert rostaing or two other clarintetists and django with a big band. and it's a lot of material: 8 cds.