Roy Haynes--People

Big Wheel

People (Pacific Jazz 82) Rec. circa 1964

Roy Haynes, Frank Strozier, Sam Dockery, Larry Ridley.

invitation, the party's over, what kind of fool am i, people, softly as in a morning sunrise, wives and lovers, alone together, jamaica farewell, shanty in old shantytown, mr. lucky

I think this deserves to be released on CD.

I have a Japanese LP reissue of that. The album looks flashy but this is an excellent date

with Roy Haynes' working quartet that also recorded 'Cymbalism' for New Jazz (same quartet

except that Ronnie Mathews is on piano) producing high-quality music.

Strozier was an inspired soloist. Wish we could hear how he plays nowadays.

And can't get enough of Roy Haynes' drumming.

By the way, the engineering on the Pacific Jazz date is better than RVG's job on the

New Jazz LP.

The PJ date was recorded in May 1964 in LA.

• 9 years later...
  • 9 years later...

Picked this up from the recent batch of Japanese Universal reissues -  and what a nice record it is. 

With Roy Haynes leading the proceedings this was likely to turn out a bit more adventurous and 'in-your-face' than most regular Pacific-dates of the day, but I'm somewhat surprised by Strozier who plays with a toughness and biting edge that I did not know was there.

Edited by Mark13

2 hours ago, Mark13 said:

Picked this up from the recent batch of Japanese Universal reissues -  and what a nice record it is. 

With Roy Haynes leading the procedings this was likely to turn out a bit more adventurous and 'in-your-face' than most regular Pacific-dates of the day, but I'm somewhat surprised by Strozier who plays with a toughness and biting edge that I did not know was there.

I saw Strozier live with Harold Mabern 50+ years ago and in the vernacular of the time it blew me away. I'd never heard of them at the time so it taught me to not just go hear your favorites.   I've bought several of his records since and though I like them all nothing has reached what I heard then. I'll have to give this a try.