Shaving

I took the plunge tonight.

I used a brush and hard shaving soap for years until I moved to North Carolina. The water here is so hard that I could not get a good lather.

(As it turns out, I didn't know what a good lather was. I have found a video on YouTube about stirring up a good lather. I will post the link later.)

As the News & Observer said, people who take shaving seriously use a double edge blade. So tonight I went that direction.

I went to razorandbrush.com and ordered:

Weishi polished chrome razor

ARKO regular shave cream

and these blades:

Derby Extra

Dorco Platinum

Crystal Platinum

Personna Platinum Red (known as Israeli Personna)

The N&O article said that the best shaving cream is Proraso green, which I picked up last week at my local Bath & Body Works under their private label C.O. Bigelow.

So when the package arrives, maybe by the weekend, I'll be ready to go with a DE blade! Most people say that the Dorco is best for beginners, as is the Weishi.

One thing that I learned in my investigations is how cheap the blades are. Although I ordered packs of 5 or 10, they are typically sold on the internet in boxes of 100 for $15-25. That's a quarter each. Think about that the next time you spend $2.50 for a Gillette Fusion cartridge.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty sure Bigelow is independent. They are still based out of the west village and have a really nice store on Sixth Ave.

I use all Art of Shaving products. They may be a bit overpriced, but they work better than other things I've used and never irritate my skin.

There's a great book called 'The Secret House' by David Bodanis, that is full of electron microscope photos of everyday things around the house. After I saw these photos, I never used an electric shaver again. This one is a closeup of a hair cut with a straight razor:

post-489-1208876639_thumb.jpg

And this one is a hair cut with an electric razor:

post-489-1208876691_thumb.jpg

I do trim my beard with an electric trimmer, though.

• 11 months later...

I note that it has been one year since the Raleigh News & Observer published an article about shaving, which caused me at that time to resurrect this thread.

Since then, I have learned how to shave with a safety razor and a brush with good creams and soaps. I have learned it all from this forum:

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/

And I have purchased nearly all of my products from here:

http://www.razorandbrush.com/indexbarbieria.html

I have found that the cost of traditional wetshaving is less than that of using the Gillette Fusion cartridges and gel if you only buy what you need. However, most guys enjoy the hobby so much they buy more than what they need to check out the various brands of items.

I started at the bottom, and am slowly working my way up the ladder. So far, my favorite blades come from Russia, India and Egypt; and my favorite soaps come from Italy.

Anyway, a year ago I (like many American men) found shaving to be a chore. I now find it to be a very enjoyable inexpensive luxury.

• 2 months later...

Procter & Gamble (Gillette) has purchased The Art of Shaving.

AOS sells only one item which is highly regarded on the internet, its hard shaving soap, which is widely believed to be made by Valobra in Italy. Here's hoping that P&G doesn't decide to discontinue it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/mergersNews...036942020090603

Procter & Gamble (Gillette) has purchased The Art of Shaving.

AOS sells only one item which is highly regarded on the internet, its hard shaving soap, which is widely believed to be made by Valobra in Italy. Here's hoping that P&G doesn't decide to discontinue it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/mergersNews...036942020090603

AOS makes lots of good stuff. I like the shaving oil as much as the hard soap. Also, the silvertip badger brush I have from them is the best I've ever had. Looks like it is time to stock up on the oil and soap.

AOS makes lots of good stuff. I like the shaving oil as much as the hard soap. Also, the silvertip badger brush I have from them is the best I've ever had. Looks like it is time to stock up on the oil and soap.

JL. let me invite you to join us at ShaveMy Face! I'm sure that the guys will be interested in your opinions. Or maybe not, depending on what they are! :D

JL. let me invite you to join us at ShaveMy Face! I'm sure that the guys will be interested in your opinions. Or maybe not, depending on what they are! :D

Sure, I'll give it a try. BTW, the AOS hard soap looks exactly like that at Taylor of Old Bond Street - it is even the same teak container. I generally don't like TOBS much, but I've never actually tried their hard soap so I can't say if it does actually seem to be an identical product.

• 10 months later...

For anyone who hasn't seen the movie Sexy Beast, Don Logan, the character played by Ben Kingsley, is, without a doubt, the scariest man on the planet. In his presence, well known nasty boys like Hannibal Lechter or Hans Gruber would be found quivering in the nearest corner. Trust me on this.

For anyone who hasn't seen the movie Sexy Beast, Don Logan, the character played by Ben Kingsley, is, without a doubt, the scariest man on the planet. In his presence, well known nasty boys like Hannibal Lechter or Hans Gruber would be found quivering in the nearest corner. Trust me on this.

yes, Logan and Frank "well dressed man" Booth could do a Thelma and Louise for the ages.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 years later...