Tasteless, simply tasteless

As the father of a severely disabled son, I don't find this cover tasteless. I applaud efforts to make the disabled more a part of mainstream society, to stop keeping them hidden from sight because it might make the non-disabled feel "icky."

She looks happy and apparently plays well, at least well enough to produce music for a full length LP. I am glad that she got to do her own album.

I could do without the "miracle from God" language. If there is one thing that is tiresome, it is when the non-disabled come up to us with a gushy voice and say that our disabled son must be "a gift from God" or that "God only sends these children to people who He knows can take care of them." That is absolutely untrue, as many of the children are born to parents who abandon or abuse or neglect them, but it is also such a phony sentiment.

As the father of a severely disabled son, I don't find this cover tasteless.

I hear you, but I find it pretty tasteless that they don't bother to mention her name and call her simply "The Handless Organist." You probably have to read the liner notes to find her name. It's one thing to feature someone with a disability, and it's another thing to exploit him or her like a circus side show.

As a side note, this happens frequently with soundtrack albums. They tell you that Shelly Hack and Telly Savalis star in the movie in big bold print, but then you have to read the fine print to find out Vic Mizzy scored it. That's been a pet peeve of mine.

• 2 weeks later...