What's your favorite Stanley Turrentine session?

bluesbro

I really dig the couple of cuts on the Stanley Mosaic box that are from the first session with a larger horn section and ben dixon on drums...the album's second session became "A Chip Off The Old Block"...but on the box set the included One O' Clock Jump and Cherry Point. Wish they had more from that first session 'cause it's pretty hot...especially with Ben Dixon on drums.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a leader for me its definitely "Up at Minton's" and "Sugar". "Cherry" is up there too. As a sideman, its about the records that have been with me thru my entire life: "Midnight Special" and "Back at the Chicken Shack", also the JOS "Fourmost/Fourmost Return" gig and "Off the Top" I like very much too, as well as the "Gene Harris Trio+ One" date. Stanley's smokin on "Uptown Sop"

Edited by CJ Shearn

I pulled out Up At Minton's the other day, just because of all the praise. Personally, I just don't see how this one ranks so high on most people's list. Turrentine did such a huge number of sessions, and I'm not convinced this was one of his best. I wonder if anyone could single out just one track that they think is really above average on the Minton's date.

can't decide which is my fav ST session, but "ThinK" may be my fav cut, but then I love the 5 Royales and love to hear stan play the hits (release "Georgy Girl" nd "Up, Up & Away" now!)

Yeah, "Think" Is a KILLER track!!!!! Specs Powell really drove Stanley into something approaching hysterics on that one.

MG

I pulled out Up At Minton's the other day, just because of all the praise. Personally, I just don't see how this one ranks so high on most people's list. Turrentine did such a huge number of sessions, and I'm not convinced this was one of his best. I wonder if anyone could single out just one track that they think is really above average on the Minton's date.

Well, I certainly can't. I'm on my third copy, because the set has had, and still has, low priority when financial times are bad. (But I do buy it again, you'll note :) But that's because I have to have everything GG ever recorded.)

MG

I've been thinking about this for a while ... I'm far from having heard everything Stan recorded, and suspect the Mosaic box might include some that would become favourites pretty soon, but I really dig some of the stuff he did with Max Roach, because that's where he first caught my attention, especially the live recordings fromParis that made me really check out what else he had done, and some of the later Blue Note stuff with horn sections arranged by Duke Pearson.