Hot Stove League Thread

I think Boone's a genuinely nice guy, but in spite of his hitting one of the bigger home runs ever hit in Yankee Stadium, I'm not convinced he's cut out to play in the Apple. Let's face it, up until he dialed 9 that fateful night, he'd been a major disappointment. So many times, he looked like a deer caught in the headlights, especially in the playoffs. And I don't even want to get into his cutting off the throw to the plate in game 2 that may have cost the Yanks a win.

Assuming Boone is gone for the '04 season, that really puts the Yanks in a bind. Wilson and Cairo are not everyday players and Drew Henson hasn't givne anyone any reason to believe he can play in The Show. I have no idea who they have down on the farm, but it could give someone a real opportunity. Otherwise, it's going to be a patchwork situation all year long. Not good.

No use to discuss the stupidity of playing basketball when that's specifically excluded in your contract. How dumb do you have to be to do that? Wow. I could understand it better if it had happened to his brother, who's so juiced up on steroids, he probably doesn't think very clearly.

Up over and out.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming Boone is gone for the '04 season, that really puts the Yanks in a bind. Wilson and Cairo are not everyday players and Drew Henson hasn't givne anyone any reason to believe he can play in The Show. I have no idea who they have down on the farm, but it could give someone a real opportunity. Otherwise, it's going to be a patchwork situation all year long. Not good.

As I understand, Henson is top, and he's done nothing at Columbus to indicate he's ready or will ever be ready. In fact, the last word about him was that he was supposedly ready to return to football; but that never happened as had been predicted and pontificated.

Meanwhile, as far as prospects to ship somewhere for a legit third baseman, well, my understanding is that over the last couple of years, the Yanks have exhausted the once prized development system.

But hey-I hear Todd Zeile is still looking for work. ;):g

Abbott: Well Costello, I'm going to New York with you. You know Bookie Harris, the Yankee's manager, gave me a job as coach for as long as you're on the team.

Costello: Look Abbott, if you're the coach, you must know all the players.

Abbott: I certainly do.

Costello: Well you know I've never met the guys. So you'll have to tell me their names, and then I'll know who's playing on the team.

Abbott: Oh, I'll tell you their names, but you know it seems to me they give these ball players now-a-days very peculiar names.

Costello: You mean funny names?

Abbott: Strange names, pet names...like Dizzy Dean...

Costello: His brother Daffy.

Abbott: Daffy Dean...

Costello: And their French cousin.

Abbott: French?

Costello: Goofè.

Abbott: Goofè Dean. Well, let's see, we have on the bags, Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know is on third...

Costello: That's what I want to find out.

Abbott: I say Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know's on third.

Costello: Are you the manager?

Abbott: Yes.

Costello: You gonna be the coach too?

Costello: And you don't know the fellows' names?

Abbott: Well I should.

Costello: Well then who's on first?

Costello: I mean the fellow's name.

Abbott: Who.

Costello: The guy on first.

Costello: The first baseman.

Costello: The guy playing...

Abbott: Who is on first!

Costello: I'm asking YOU who's on first.

Abbott: That's the man's name.

Costello: That's who's name?

Costello: Well go ahead and tell me.

Abbott: That's it.

Costello: That's who?

PAUSE

Costello: Look, you gotta first baseman?

Abbott: Certainly.

Costello: Who's playing first?

Abbott: That's right.

Costello: When you pay off the first baseman every month, who gets the money?

Abbott: Every dollar of it.

Costello: All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base.

Costello: The guy that gets...

Costello: Who gets the money...

Abbott: He does, every dollar. Sometimes his wife comes down and collects it.

Costello: Who's wife?

PAUSE

Abbott: What's wrong with that?

Costello: Look, all I wanna know is when you sign up the first baseman, how does he sign his name?

Costello: The guy.

Costello: How does he sign...

Abbott: That's how he signs it.

Costello: Who?

PAUSE

Costello: All I'm trying to find out is what's the guy's name on first base.

Abbott: No. What is on second base.

Costello: I'm not asking you who's on second.

Abbott: Who's on first.

Costello: One base at a time!

Abbott: Well, don't change the players around.

Costello: I'm not changing nobody!

Abbott: Take it easy, buddy.

Costello: I'm only asking you, who's the guy on first base?

Abbott: That's right.

Costello: Ok.

Abbott: All right.

PAUSE

Costello: What's the guy's name on first base?

Abbott: No. What is on second.

Abbott: Who's on first.

Costello: I don't know.

Abbott: He's on third, we're not talking about him.

Costello: Now how did I get on third base?

Abbott: Why you mentioned his name.

Costello: If I mentioned the third baseman's name, who did I say is playing third?

Abbott: No. Who's playing first.

Costello: What's on base?

Abbott: What's on second.

Abbott: He's on third.

Costello: There I go, back on third again!

PAUSE

Costello: Would you just stay on third base and don't go off it.

Abbott: All right, what do you want to know?

Costello: Now who's playing third base?

Abbott: Why do you insist on putting Who on third base?

Costello: What am I putting on third.

Abbott: No. What is on second.

Costello: You don't want who on second?

Abbott: Who is on first.

Abbott & Costello Together:Third base!

PAUSE

Costello: Look, you gotta outfield?

Abbott: Sure.

Costello: The left fielder's name?

Abbott: Why.

Costello: I just thought I'd ask you.

Abbott: Well, I just thought I'd tell ya.

Costello: Then tell me who's playing left field.

Abbott: Who's playing first.

Costello: I'm not... stay out of the infield! I want to know what's the guy's name in left field?

Abbott: No, What is on second.

Abbott: Who's on first!

Abbott & Costello Together: Third base!

PAUSE

Costello: The left fielder's name?

Abbott: Why.

Costello: Because!

Abbott: Oh, he's centerfield.

PAUSE

Costello: Look, You gotta pitcher on this team?

Abbott: Sure.

Costello: The pitcher's name?

Abbott: Tomorrow.

Costello: You don't want to tell me today?

Abbott: I'm telling you now.

Costello: Then go ahead.

Abbott: Tomorrow!

Costello: What time?

Abbott: What time what?

Costello: What time tomorrow are you gonna tell me who's pitching?

Abbott: Now listen. Who is not pitching.

Costello: I'll break your arm, you say who's on first! I want to know what's the pitcher's name?

Abbott: What's on second.

Abbott & Costello Together: Third base!

PAUSE

Costello: Gotta a catcher?

Abbott: Certainly.

Costello: The catcher's name?

Abbott: Today.

Costello: Today, and tomorrow's pitching.

Abbott: Now you've got it.

Costello: All we got is a couple of days on the team.

PAUSE

Costello: You know I'm a catcher too.

Abbott: So they tell me.

Costello: I get behind the plate to do some fancy catching, Tomorrow's pitching on my team and a heavy hitter gets up. Now the heavy hitter bunts the ball. When he bunts the ball, me, being a good catcher, I'm gonna throw the guy out at first base. So I pick up the ball and throw it to who?

Abbott: Now that's the first thing you've said right.

Costello: I don't even know what I'm talking about!

PAUSE

Abbott: That's all you have to do.

Costello: Is to throw the ball to first base.

Abbott: Yes!

Costello: Now who's got it?

Abbott: Naturally.

PAUSE

Costello: Look, if I throw the ball to first base, somebody's gotta get it. Now who has it?

Costello: Who?

Costello: Naturally?

Costello: So I pick up the ball and I throw it to Naturally.

Abbott: No you don't, you throw the ball to Who.

Costello: Naturally.

Abbott: That's different.

Costello: That's what I said.

Abbott: You're not saying it...

Costello: I throw the ball to Naturally.

Abbott: You throw it to Who.

Costello: That's what I said!

Abbott: You ask me.

Costello: I throw the ball to who?

Costello: Now you ask me.

Abbott: You throw the ball to Who?

Costello: Same as you! Same as YOU! I throw the ball to who. Whoever it is drops the ball and the guy runs to second. Who picks up the ball and throws it to What. What throws it to I Don't Know. I Don't Know throws it back to Tomorrow, Triple play. Another guy gets up and hits a long fly ball to Because. Why? I don't know! He's on third and I don't give a darn!

Abbott: What?

Costello: I said I don't give a darn!

Abbott: Oh, that's our shortstop.

I saw a story about Detroit's negotiations with Pudge, and Scott Boras claims that a team is offering 4years at $40mil. So far, Detroit is the only team making an offer to Pudge, and the rumors are that the offer is for considerably less than that, even less than what the Marlins offered & Pudge declined. It looks like the M's may be the only way that Pudge starts the season on time, because Detroit may only be a straw man for Boras, and the Marlins now can't sign him until May. That would certainly be a big addition for the M's.

Johnny,

Ibanez' earlier stint in the Queen City would not lead one to believe his return trip will be the stuff pennants are made of. In his entire career, he's had one good season and that was with Kansas City, in a ballpark that's arguably the most hitter friendly digs (outside Coors Field) in the bigs. I'd be surprised if his numbers are anywhere near what they were last year.

Up over and out.

Johnny,

Ibanez' earlier stint in the Queen City would not lead one to believe his return trip will be the stuff pennants are made of. In his entire career, he's had one good season and that was with Kansas City, in a ballpark that's arguably the most hitter friendly digs (outside Coors Field) in the bigs. I'd be surprised if his numbers are anywhere near what they were last year.

Up over and out.

Ibanez had three solid seasons in KC (especially his last two). Let's look at the numbers. In his three seasons in Kansas City from 2001-2003 he hit, .280, .294, and .294 respectively, and he connected for 247 RBI and 55 HR in the same period. Not Superstar numbers but pretty respectible. And these three years were the first time in his career that he got to play full-time, not just as a back-up. And he has torn it up at Safeco Field (not yet open when he played in Seattle). He has five home runs and 15 RBI there in just 45 at-bats over the past two years. Left handed linedrive hitters tend to do well at the Safe since the gap are huge. Plus he's coming home to where his family lives. I predict he will have a fine season.

This is not good for Dodger fans... :tdown:tdown:tdown

NEW YORK -- The $430 million sale of the Los Angeles Dodgers by News Corp. to Boston real estate developer Frank McCourt was unanimously approved Thursday by baseball owners.

The highly leveraged purchase, likely to be finalized within a week, probably will set off the third change in management in six years for the marquee franchise, which hasn't advanced to the playoffs since 1996.

The deal was approved during a conference call. Commissioner Bud Selig said the sale "heralds the beginning of a new era of family ownership for one of the game's most storied franchises."

News Corp. bought the team in March 1998 from the O'Malley family for $311 million. The corporation quickly tired of running the team, and former movie executive Robert Daly took over as chief executive officer in October 1999 after purchasing a minority stake.

Daly has said he will depart when the sale closes. The futures of team president Bob Graziano, general manager Dan Evans and manager Jim Tracy are uncertain as the Dodgers prepare to report to spring training on Feb. 18.

Los Angeles finished second in the NL West last season at 85-77 despite the worst offense in the major leagues. Still, the Dodgers drew over 3 million fans for the eighth straight year.

With the sale pending, the Dodgers made few moves during the offseason. Their only free-agent additions were right-handers Rick White and Jose Lima and infielder Jose Hernandez, who agreed to minor league contracts, and Bubba Trammell, who's expected to come off the bench.

A few miles to the south, the 2002 World Series champion Anaheim Angels added pitchers Bartolo Colon and Kelvin Escobar and outfielders Vladimir Guerrero and Jose Guillen.

McCourt, whose grandfather was part owner of the Boston Braves, announced Oct. 10 he had agreed to buy the team along with Dodger Stadium and adjoining real estate, plus training facilities in Vero Beach, Fla., and the Dominican Republic.

He had lengthy talks with officials of the commissioner's office and other owners, who were concerned about the amount of debt in the deal. News Corp. will retain a minority stake.

"This transaction meets all of baseball's debt service rules and financial requirements in every way," Selig said in a statement. "We at major league baseball are confident that Mr. McCourt, as a rabid and knowledgeable fan and successful businessman, will devote the time and energy necessary to make the franchise a great success."

Once one of baseball's most stable franchises, the Dodgers have won six World Series championships -- the first in 1955 while playing in Brooklyn. Walter O'Malley moved them to Los Angeles after the 1957 season and they won the title in 1959, 1963, 1965, 1981 and 1988. But they haven't won a postseason game since their last championship.

Hall of Famer Tommy Lasorda, who managed the Dodgers to their last two World Series triumphs, is a senior vice president whose future with the organization also is in question.

The O'Malley family controlled the Dodgers for nearly 48 years before selling to News Corp. Many of the team's moves since that sale didn't work out. In May 1998, popular catcher Mike Piazza was dealt to the Florida Marlins after he turned down a contract offer that would have been baseball's richest.

Kevin Malone became general manager that September and signed free-agent pitcher Kevin Brown to a $105 million, seven-year contract, then baseball's richest deal.

Malone was fired in April 2001 following a dispute with a fan in the stands during a game in San Diego, and Brown was traded to the Yankees last month.

Evans became GM at the end of the 2001 season -- Tracy's first as manager. Evans and Tracy are both under contract for this season.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmmm....

Yankees in Talks for Alex Rodriguez   

1 hour, 10 minutes ago  Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!

By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer

NEW YORK - Now it's the New York Yankees (news) who are trying to trade for Alex Rodriguez. The American League (news) champions began preliminary discussions with the Texas Rangers (news) this week on a deal that would bring A-Rod to the Bronx for second baseman Alfonso Soriano, a high-ranking baseball official said Saturday.

While the talks began Wednesday night, it's still too early to tell whether they will lead to a deal, the official said, speaking to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity. Rodriguez has a no-trade clause but has said he would be amenable to a deal to the Yankees, the official said.

Rodriguez, the AL MVP, would be moved from shortstop to third base by New York, seeking to fill the hole created when Aaron Boone hurt a knee last month in a pickup basketball game, an injury that will require surgery. Derek Jeter, the Yankees' captain, would remain at shortstop.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman wouldn't discuss Rodriguez but said New York always is exploring opportunities.

"I won't comment on specific trade rumors or rumblings," he said. "It's my job to float ideas, weather balloons, out to my counterparts. Ninety-nine percent of them fall to the ground helplessly."

Texas officials did not immediately return telephone calls.

"I can't comment on the situation," said Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras.

The talks were first reported Saturday by The New York Post and Newsday.

Boston, the Yankees' perennial rival, nearly acquired Rodriguez in December, but a proposed deal that would have sent outfielder Manny Ramirez to the Rangers fell through because the players' association blocked Boston's attempt to restructure Rodriguez's record $252 million, 10-year contract. The union said the proposal by the Red Sox would have lowered the deal's value by $30 million to $32 million.

Boston then rejected the union's plan to lower the contract by $12 million to $13 million in exchange for Rodriguez gaining the right to use Boston's logos in merchandise deals.

After the deal collapsed, Texas owner Tom Hicks said Rodriguez would remain with the Rangers, and the team announced Jan. 25 that it was making the seven-time All-Star its captain.

Rodriguez, 28, is owed $179 million in salary over the remaining seven seasons of his contract, $4 million from his signing bonus and $12 million deferred at 3 percent annual interest from salaries during his first three years with Texas.

Soriano, 26, will make $5.4 million this year and has two more years of salary arbitration eligibility remaining. The two-time All-Star can become a free agent after the 2006 season.

New York wants Texas to pick up part of the money Rodriguez is owed and wants A-Rod to make concessions, one of the sources said.

New York's payroll currently is at $170.3 million, not including left-hander Gabe White, who remains in arbitration and will earn at least $1,825,000. A swap of Soriano for Rodriguez would leave New York's payroll at about $190 million.

Rodriguez, who was born in New York, lives in Florida. He was disappointed when the New York Mets (news) failed to pursue him when he became a free agent after the 2000 season.

He was frustrated following three last-place finishes in Texas, but has said in recent weeks that he was content to remain with the Rangers.

"I feel like we have a great plan in hand," he said Feb. 6. "I feel very comfortable about where the Texas Rangers are going."

Rodriguez hit .298 last season with 47 homers, 118 RBIs and 17 stolen bases, and Soriano batted .290 with 38 homers, 91 RBIs and 35 steals.

If the deal is made, Enrique Wilson, Miguel Cairo and Erick Almonte would be among the candidates to play second base for the Yankees.

New York opens spring training Tuesday, and Texas starts two days later.

Welcome to the squad, A-Rod!

Well, not quite yet... So how does this play out? Rodriguez is only two years older than Soriano... Yanks probably improve defensively at second base and nail down the third-base problem. Rodriguez and Jeter together in the infield... that'd be quite a sight! What's going on with the pitching staff, though? I haven't really followed the baseball news lately. Also, Williams and Giambi are both aging goods--Nick Johnson is gone--I gotta start getting up to speed here!

You know, this wouldn't surprise me for the Yanks' payroll to go to $190 million dollars.

Soriano has a tremendous amount of upside they'd be forsaking, but who cares to get A-Rod, right? Of course, that's another righthanded power hitter in a lefthander's park. He'd have hit sixty, easy, in Fenway. In the Bronx, he's gotta hit it a long, long way to get it out anywhere other than straightaway left.

Y'all realize that it would be absolute insanity to leave Jeter at shortstop and force A-Rod to play third, right? I mean, every statistical measure shows that Jeter's range was never all that great and its been on a steady decline, while A-Rod is the best in the business defensively. If anything, Jeter should go to second or third.

It makes more sense for Jeter to move to second rather than third. The Holy Book of Baseball says, and I quote: "Have a strong defense up the middle." ARod and Jeter, in the middle of the infield, now that would be very strong combination. You can always trade, or buy, another third baseman from somewhere. Yankees really suck if this come through. :angry:

Looks to be just about set. The first sentence, I believe, is a typo (I think they mean "closer" rather than "away"):

Yanks, Rangers Send A-Rod Deal to Selig   

4 minutes ago  Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!

By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer

NEW YORK - Alex Rodriguez moved one step away from playing for the New York Yankees (news).

New York and Texas finalized the terms of a trade Sunday, and the players' association gave its approval. The last hurdle was for commissioner Bud Selig to OK the deal, a high-ranking baseball official told The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity.

The Rangers will pay $67 million of the $179 million left on the AL MVP's record contract. Texas will get All-Star second baseman Alfonso Soriano and a player to be named.

Approval from Selig was expected later Sunday or Monday, and the Yankees began planning for a Tuesday news conference in New York to introduce the first reigning MVP ever traded.

"I was just as surprised as the Yankee fans and the Boston Red Sox (news) fans when I opened up my paper today," President Bush (news - web sites), the Rangers' former owner, told NBC at the Daytona 500. "It, obviously, is a big deal. ... A-Rod's a great player and the Yanks are going to be a heck of a team with him in the infield."

Texas will wind up paying $140 million for three seasons with Rodriguez. The Yankees will owe him $112 million for seven years.

Under the deal, the Yankees pay Rodriguez $15 million in each of the next three seasons, $16 million each in 2007 and 2008, $17 million in 2009 and $18 million in 2010, according to contract information obtained by the AP from player and management sources.

In each of the first four years, $1 million will be deferred without interest, to be paid in 2011.

Texas will pay $43 million of Rodriguez's salary over the remaining seven years: $3 million in 2004, $6 million each in 2005 and 2006, $7 million in 2007, $8 million in 2009 and $6 million in 2010. In addition, the Rangers will pay the $24 million remaining in deferred money from the original contract, with the interest rate lowered from 3 percent to 2 percent.

All the deferred money owed by Texas — $36 million including salaries from 2001-03 — will be lumped with the original $10 million signing bonus, of which $4 million is still owed. The payout schedule will be pushed back to 2016-2025 from 2011-20.

In exchange for the alternations, which devalue the contract slightly, Rodriguez will receive a hotel suite on road trips and have the right to link his Web site to the Yankees' site.

Greg, I thought it was the Players' Union that nixed the Bosox deal... because they felt that it devalued Rodriguez's contract too much.

I don't see how this can be good for the game. But you can't blame Steinbrenner for taking advantage of the rules as they are. The problem is with the game at present and that this could be allowed to happen. For this, you have to blame the present stewards of the game: the owners and the player's union.

This could never happen in the NFL or NBA, which are on a much sounder footing right now.

You have to be happy if you're a Yankee fan but generally sad if you love this greatest of games.