Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

I can assure you there's nothing unfocussed or random about Bailey's playing. I say this having actually sat down & transcribed bits of it--it's quite beautifully put together.

The partnership with Ibarra is very weak on Daedal but I'm todl the later Bids is better. However, if you want to hear a good Bailey disc try Aida, Dart Drug, Lace, Drop Me off at 96th, &c. Plenty of good ones out there. Or the albums with SME. I like the album One Time with Stevens & Kent Carter, despite the wonky balance (Carter way to the fore)--it's quite haunting.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can assure you there's nothing unfocussed or random about Bailey's playing. I say this having actually sat down & transcribed bits of it--it's quite beautifully put together.

The partnership with Ibarra is very weak on Daedal but I'm todl the later Bids is better. However, if you want to hear a good Bailey disc try Aida, Dart Drug, Lace, Drop Me off at 96th, &c. Plenty of good ones out there. Or the albums with SME. I like the album One Time with Stevens & Kent Carter, despite the wonky balance (Carter way to the fore)--it's quite haunting.

Nate, I have to admit I haven't spent much time listening to Bailey attentively, so my impressions are merely superficial. In the next several weeks I will go through my Bailey collection (a very thin one: 2-CD Marseille concert on Incus, "Yankees" with Zorn and George Lewis, 2 Japo discs and some bits and pieces elsewhere) and will post my impresions here.

This thing with Kent Carter surely sounds intertesting - I like Kent Carter a lot.

From the Leo Recordswebsite:

Special New Year offer: Save US$ 10

Instead of US$ 39.96 if bought separately, download our four latest releases: CD LR 415, 416, 417, and 418 now for only US$ 29.96

CD LR 415 Clarinet Trio 3(Ullmann, Kupke, Thieke): Ballads and Related Objects - 12/2004 - US$ 9.99 - about 66MB***

CD LR 416 Braxton / Szabados / Tarasov: Triotone - 12/2004 - US$ 9.99 - about 71MB***

CD LR 417 Pandelis Karayorgis (Solo-Piano): Seventeen Pieces - 12/2004 - US$ 9.99 - about 72MB***

CD LR 418 Collective 4tet (Geisser / Hennen / Hoyer / Parker): Moving Along - 12/2004 - US$ 9.99 - about 62MB***

Am I the only old-fashioned guy here who doesn't have the least interest in downloading anything of the Leo stuff?

I got a feeling that a 100MB download for one album still includes *quite some* compression, no?

Also, the prize of 10$ somehow seems too high. Does one at least get full cover scans in the download-package?

And what's the albums up for download? All discs that are readily available? If this was an attempt at making music available that is out of print, it might be interesting, as an idea, but still 10$... I'd rather pay 12 or 13 or 15 and have the real CD.

ubu

Flurin: I agree with your every word.

:tup

Just to add a bit to my sound quality / compression statement: I don't really know that much about it, but having gotten started on www.easytree.org, downloading tons of fine live music, usually in the FLAC or SHN formats (which compress WAVs to +/- half of their size, seemingly lossless, or at least loss is kept at such low rate that one doesn't notice anything), and an hour's worth of music is considerably larger than 100MB, more like 400 or 500 MB.

seemingly lossless, or at least loss is kept at such low rate that one doesn't notice anything

these are lossless formats, nothing is lost, it is all there.

the final size depends on the complexity of the music, but indeed 50% is the usual compression rate, usually slightly less. So one CD filled to the brink with 80 mins of music would be about 400Mb.

seemingly lossless, or at least loss is kept at such low rate that one doesn't notice anything

these are lossless formats, nothing is lost, it is all there.

the final size depends on the complexity of the music, but indeed 50% is the usual compression rate, usually slightly less. So one CD filled to the brink with 80 mins of music would be about 400Mb.

Thanks for clearing!

My problem then is why we don't use these formats to burn on CDs, would save some space, wouldn't it?

ubu

Am I the only old-fashioned guy here who doesn't have the least interest in downloading anything of the Leo stuff?

I got a feeling that a 100MB download for one album still includes *quite some* compression, no?

Also, the prize of 10$ somehow seems too high. Does one at least get full cover scans in the download-package?

And what's the albums up for download? All discs that are readily available? If this was an attempt at making music available that is out of print, it might be interesting, as an idea, but still 10$... I'd rather pay 12 or 13 or 15 and have the real CD.

ubu

Agree. I also like having the little thing in a jewel case with a booklet. I am as well not willing to pay more than $5-6 for a download.

From what I know the OGG format (which Leo uses) shows better results at the same compression level as WMA (which is in turn better than MP3).

I think Leo is entertaining an idea of having "lossless" downloads available from his site - but these of course will be massive even for broadband. And again - I still prefer having the "real" thing - even if in 10 years there won't be too many of those released.

Friends, I'm listening to Aki Takase "Le Cahier du Bal" (Leo) - fantastic! Solo piano. Takase displays imressive virtuosity, great ideas and endless musicality with references to all imaginable aspects of piano playing (Bach, Skryabin, Taylor, Van Hove, Bley, Monk, some stride piano and more). Very original. I am totally in agreement with Francois Carrier's review: HERE, and I particularly endorse the following "It is the strongest, most virtuosic, most original solo piano performance since the release of Kuryokhin's "The Ways of Freedom" back in 1981" (well, I take it Francois hasn't heard Matthew Goodheart's solo recordings, though).

Some sound samples at Amazon.

Edited by Д.Д.

I posted this in the WAYLTRN thread:

Albert Ayler - The Hilversum Session - Coppens

e977898eyik.jpg

This is an awesome session, with Don Cherry (cornet), Gary Peacock (bass) and Sunny Murray (drums). George Coppens told me he has only a few copies left. It's available from Cadence. Highly recommended!

I remember hearing this - then strange - music on Dutch radio in 1964; I was totally fascinated by the sounds coming out of my tiny portable transistor radio...

You must have been one cool little dude, Hans.

Consider it ordered.

David: That Aki Takase sounds really good, especially the Inside Tales pieces. Wish Cadence had it as I could then throw it in my cart.

I really like Goodheart but I don't have any of his solo recordings. Recommendations? (I'm still pushing my cart through the virtual aisles of Cadence.)

Edited by Chaney

I really like Goodheart but I don't have any of his solo recordings.  Recommendations?  (I'm still pushing my cart through the virtual aisles of Cadence.)

You haven't been doing your mandatory Funny Rat reading too attentively, have you? :rmad:

This is some great music! Listening for the third time in a row.

Matthew Goodheart - "Songs From The Time of Great Questioning" (Meniscus, 1997)

bigmgheart.jpg

Solo piano - somewhere in the middle between Cecil Taylor and Paul Bley, with a bit of Ravel and Schumann.

Edit: add Mussorgsky and Skryabin as influences as well! Gonna get all Goodheart I will find!

AMG review

Edited by Д.Д.