Evan Parker @ Stone NYC

Steve Reynolds

shouldn't even be a consideration -

it's like saying - "he's got the brains of a white man - and the physical ability of a black man -

gee, I meant it as a compliment. "

I know it was unintended but it's condescending.

I think your comparison is false. Wisdom often does come with age and experience (maybe not in all cases), and I think that is what Steve's comment meant, in THIS particular case. Plus this should be rather obvious, but stamina TENDS to decrease as we age, so if he's playing with the vigor of a 40 year old, that's a good thing. I don't think he's implying that wisdom is exclusive to older age nor is stamina exclusive to youth.

And I don't think anyone would consider the comparison to your example as valid, or take any reasonable person seriously who actually attempted to make that second assertion.

Edited by Aggie87

I dunno - I have the energy of a 39 year old and the eyesight of a 65 year old.

or is it: the mind of a Yeshiva student and the energy of a University of Michigan fullback?

the wisdom of a saxophonist and the energy of a b3 organist

the wisdom of a Prius driver with the speed of a Camaro.

the speed of Muhammed Ali and the Wisdom of Aristotle

Edited by AllenLowe

interesting as you manage to end a point of disagreement with an insult.

Many people take me seriously.

you're a fool

I wasn't implying you were being unreasonable. Just the person that actually attempted to make your second (black/white) assertion. I know you didn't actually assert that. You just compared the age thing to the black/white thing, and I rejected your comparison.

I guess I didn't explain it clearly enough, for that I apologize.

You clearly are insulting me though. Thanks.

sorry, than, really. Over-reaction on my part.

It's just that it's hard, unless you are in the position of being at a certain age, to realize how the world stereotypes certain types of things, and than qualifies them - sorta like saying, she plays good for a girl - I know it does not seem parallel to what was said, but it is part of a whole way of looking at age as a kind of disadvantage to be overcome. Truth is, some people are wise at 65, some are idiots - some have great wisdom and vision at age 20 - think George Buchner - some never do, some hit 40 as dumb as they were at 25. I am certainly speaking from personal experience, true, but have talked to enough others in my group to see that it's a pervasive problem.

Steve, can you read?

wow

speaking about overall quality of music.

double wow

responding to a passive agressive question from 7/4

wow again

I've made 6 CDs, not one

wow to the 10th degree

though one critic did once compare my tenor playing to Sonny ROllins

and though Anonthony Braxton said about me "he is one of the few musicians today doing anything new."

no wow at this point, though I do disagree with that critic (and though Roswell Rudd told me I reminded him of Shepp)

by the way, I recorded the particular CD you refer to with a broken finger

last wow

Edited by AllenLowe

Steve, can you read?

wow

speaking about overall quality of music.

double wow

responding to a passive agressive question from 7/4

wow again

I've made 6 CDs, not one

wow to the 10th degree

though one critic did once compare my tenor playing to Sonny ROllins

and though Anonthony Braxton said about me "he is one of the few musicians today doing anything new."

no wow at this point, though I do disagree with that critic (and though Roswell Rudd told me I reminded him of Shepp)

by the way, I recorded the particular CD you refer to with a broken finger

last wow

big ole head and sarcastic this morning.

you brought us here - with your initial question - so you tell us. Personally I have no idea.

Whatever.

Maybe people don't return your phone calls because you're unbearable to be around? People are holding a conversation here and you chime in to start talking about yourself.

David, you are a complete asshole, I don't know what the problem is, but please stay the hell away from my posts, as you have been jealously shadowing me for some time. Yes, I have a musical life, deal with it, you're resentment is really childish and stupid, and this is the last I will say on the subject.

Edited by AllenLowe

David, you are a complete asshole, I don't know what the problem is, but please stay the hell away from my posts, as you have been jealously shadowing me for some time. It's really childish and stupid, and this is the last I will say on the subject.

Quiet little Allen...the adults are trying to hold a conversation! :lol:

I've heard Evan Parker a few times. The most amazing time was a solo concert held in an old stone church within walking distance from my house. He played five pieces (ranging from 7 to 15 minutes) on both soprano and tenor. I have a recording of the concert, and it's one of the best Parker recordings I've heard, but it doesn't hold a candle to the concert. The natural reverb of the wood (backed up by stone) created an amazing web of sound - it was almost too intense to handle. I think I floated (rather than walked) home.

This was the third time I've heard him and it was probably the best because the Stone is a real tiny venue.

The first was solo and duo with Anthony Braxton at the Greenwich School of Music, NYC in the early '90s and then later I heard him solo duo with someone else mixing & processing the sound at a former firehouse in Tribecca, NYC.

to get to the actual matter at hand;

while I admire his technical control, as with all random forms I find the music only randomly interesting - and ironically or not, less interesting, to me, as real-time improvisation than it would be as edited collage. To me, the creative principles involved are principles, yes, but not rules. As rules they play themselves out, in the same way that tonal music plays itself out and consumes itself through re-cycling of its basic methods.

to get to the actual matter at hand;

while I admire his technical control, as with all random forms I find the music only randomly interesting - and ironically or not, less interesting, to me, as real-time improvisation than it would be as edited collage. To me, the creative principles involved are principles, yes, but not rules. As rules they play themselves out, in the same way that tonal music plays itself out and consumes itself through re-cycling of its basic methods.

In what sense does his music use random forms?

Also, much as with Braxton's music, I don't think it's useful to talk of Evan's music as a single entity...there are the solo things, the duos, trios, quartets (etc.), the Electro-Acoustic Ensemble stuff, and I wouldn't be surprised if he approached each context differently 'methodologically'.