Picture of Al Haig (not Bill Evans) with female bassist

epistrophy007

In MusicHound; Jazz, The Essential Album Guide, (ed. Steven Holtjes & Nancy Ann Lee) 1998, there is on page 386 ( for all of those who own the book) a photograph of a young Bill Evans with a female bassist.

Sheetmusic and microphones clearly visable I assume that this picture was taken on recording session.

Evans recorded with Dick Garcia (Message from Garcia, Dawn, 1956) with a (for me unknown) bassist with the name; Jerry Bruno.

Don't know if this Jerry was male/female.

So could it be this lady on the picture?

Any suggestions who she can be?

I'm really curious about this one.

j.

Oops...

Sorry Mr. Bruno, I really had no idea.

Yeh, Kay is surely an option!!!

The longer I look at the picture the more I doubt. If it isn't Evans the pianist on the photo really looks like him.

Maybe an other suggestion;

Lee Morgan? The wife of accordeonist Leon Sash?

j.

Like Jim, I want to see the photo, but if it is Evans, and the bassist is Lee Morgan, Leon Sash's wife, they all were around Chicago when Evans was in the army stationed at Ft. Sheridan up in the northern suburbs. That was when Evans ran across Chicago singer Lucy Reed, with whom he later recorded for Fantasy. In fact, Sash recorded for Fantasy too IIRC.

Leon Sash's wife can be heard accompanying her husband here:

http://www.amazon.com/Remember-Newport-Leo...howViewpoints=1

And going even further afield, a related Chicago figure was organist Les Strand, who made three albums for Fantasy (yes) around that time. I recall reading that Jimmy Smith admired Strand's playing, though Strand (who played the Baldwin) may have been the most un-bluesy jazz organist imaginable.

This reminds me of a story from my Jazz Record Mart/Delmark days. I'm in the store playing the New Tristano, the phone rings and the caller identifies himself as Leon Sash. He asks who's playing in the background and I say Lennie Tristano. He says "I didn't know Lennie was in town". After I explain it's a record he says "you should talk to my wife, Lee Morgan". I probably did laundry that night.

This reminds me of a story from my Jazz Record Mart/Delmark days. I'm in the store playing the New Tristano, the phone rings and the caller identifies himself as Leon Sash. He asks who's playing in the background and I say Lennie Tristano. He says "I didn't know Lennie was in town". After I explain it's a record he says "you should talk to my wife, Lee Morgan". I probably did laundry that night.

But if he'd said, "You should talk to my wife Jacqui McLean"?

Is it possible to get a scan of the photo in question uploaded here? I'm really curious about having a look at this photo!

But when would a young Bill Evans ever have recorded with Carol Kaye?

Sorry but no scanner here...

A picture would indeed be helpful to get this discussion into some direction.

I've been surging the last days on the net, but no succes...

j.

• 1 month later...

Found a part of the picture on the net...

Maybe the picture was indeed mislabeled in my book...

It's used as a cover for an album by AL HAIG, Piano Interpretations...Though he doesn't look like a young Haig to me either...

The female basist isn't visableon the cover... <_<

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=n86nzm2jbz

Here's the Haig and the female bassist image, crystal clear:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...t%3D40%26um%3D1

Don't know who she is, though.

Don't see any female bassists listed in the Haig discography, though the session might have been unissued:

http://www.jazzdisco.org/al-haig/discography/