"DRUMMER'S CORNER"

randissimo

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy, I'mma lil late regarding that Antonio comment, but damn you are right.  I have a Pat trio show on my computer from Marciac, France this summer with Chris McBride and Antonio, and that mother lights it up on "Lone Jack", listening to his solo right now, doing crazy syncopated cowbell shit while exploding over the top.  And I was thinking to myself too how Antonio swings like Jack, but is very much his own man.  Word is a live record of this trio is coming out, probably in April.

C.J.

I'm a little late getting back with you as well.. Antonio Sanchez is definately a young monster to keep an eye on.. Outstanding drumkit percussionist! DAMN! :blink:

Edited by randissimo

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Here's a hot rod.

Fidyk1.jpg

Similar to

elvinjonessetup.jpg

Pretty classic. I'm sort of leaning toward larger, open bass drum sound lately. A friend of mine actually just moved to a custom bass drum. 22" x 18" I think. I haven't seen it or heard it yet, but he is excited. Same thing. He wanted that big open sound that a well tuned bass drum can produce. Some days I'd just assume set the floor tom on its side and clip the foot petal to it though...

Has anyone ever seen or played one of those Elvin Jones custom snares? Wow.

444298.jpg

Edited by .:.impossible

Has anyone ever seen or played one of those Elvin Jones custom snares? Wow.

444298.jpg

Their cross stick sound is absolutely fantastic! I would buy one alone for this, if I had the money, 'cause I love to play with a lot of cross stick. I would use a Remo Renaissance or their newest brand, Suede, to give it a calfskin sound - a great drum with a lot of power and a colorful sound if you use the proper head.

I'm sort of leaning toward larger, open bass drum sound lately. A friend of mine actually just moved to a custom bass drum. 22" x 18" I think. I haven't seen it or heard it yet, but he is excited. Same thing. He wanted that big open sound that a well tuned bass drum can produce.

I stopped using any internal or external dampening on my drums - I don't see any logic in buying a drum that sounds great and then muffling the sound until it looses its characteristics. Sound technicians and their problems with mic bleed and feedback on stage in rock music are the reason people started muffling and cutting holes into bass drums for internal mic placement - but an undampened drum with a clear tone sounds much better and meshes well with the group sound in unamplified jazz settings. But one needs to attempt a calf skin sound to achieve this.

Edited by mikeweil

On a different note.

Because I got lucky, I was able to test-drive these today:

frank1.jpg

The new Sonor X-Ray set (the one I could play for an entire afternoon had four bass drums with the new bass pedal rigging developed with the help of Thomas Lang) is just a blast (not) from (the Vistalite) past. Great sound and fantastic playability. The pedal rigging is absolutely awesome and, f. ex., triplet figures just flow from your feet. Quick changes inbetween the whole pedal assembly are a breeze and the feel is just totally natural, nothing awkward here. Very (!) comfortable.

Nevertheless ... let me tout the new Pearl Reference series. I also had the chance to play one of the full-range sets available and I haven't been so excited about a new development in the drum area since ... ah ... I really can't remember.

The new Reference series is the absolute best thing I've ever heard and most likely will ever hear. For once, really everything was/is done right here. The sound is awesome, really, and through mixing different types of wood across the whole kit range, the overall sound is just too good to be true. The sound is absoluely "round" and the kit sounds more "together" than anything I've ever heard. I had the chance to try different skins across the tom range, both bottom open and closed, and there is absolutely no sound you can't get out of these. Warm and round, dry and heavy on the attack, sustain to make your hair stand on end ... you name it, they can produce it. These drums are way above anything I've ever tried. If you do get the chance and no matter what style of music you play, see if your nearest dealer has/will have a set of these. Sit down and play. My God! INcredible. From the Pearl site:

"Reference Series drums use a combination of task specific bearing edges and 3 time proven woods, Birch, Maple, and African Mahogany. Using Maple as a sole material has long been the traditional choice for shells and for good reason. Maple provides smooth, well balanced tone that is perfect for a 12" tom. Subsequently, all Reference Series 12" toms are composed of 6 plies of Maple. The only single wood shell in the series. Our 10" and 8" toms receive 4 plies of Maple with 2 inner plies of Birch for cut and attack. And for maximum response, all 13" and smaller toms have a rounded 45° bearing edge.

Beginning with our 13" tom and larger, Mahogany is added to the inner plies to increase the lower frequencies and accentuate the warmth of the Maple. The 14" toms and larger begin using our fully rounded bearing edge for even more shell contact. Our 18" and 20" bass drums use 4 inner plies of Mahogany with 2 outer plies of Maple. As the size of the bass drums increase, so does the amount of Mahogany. Our 22" and 24" bass drums incorporate an amazing 6 inner plies of Mahogany surrounded by 2 outer plies of Maple for the ultimate in solid responsive bass frequencies. [...]

Each shell is composed of a blend of woods totalling an incredible 20 plies. This extra thick shell ensures that no energy is lost through shell vibration and all energy is focused on moving sound waves. The shell’s bearing edge is a 45° to promote a focused contact area with the head for response and crack. 6 inner plies of Birch provides cut and attack while the outer 14 plies of Maple provide warmth and solid midrange punch. Reference Series Snare drums are available in 3 different shell sizes. 14"x 5", 14"x 6.5" and 13"x 6.5" to suit individual preferences and tastes."

Gotta be played to be believed. Have I raved enough? These things are ultra-good (and probably ultra-expensive) ...

Gallery (there's also a link to a video and other stuff at the top of the page).

I'll shut up now.

Since I just saw this drummer's thread,

I always dreamed of having one mounted tom. (Funny, it's usually the other way around) On my old kit, I took off the tom on the right, and just had one like my jazz idols. When my dad bought me a new kit for my birthday four years ago, I took off the right mounted tom. He was so pissed! Ever since then, I been wanting just one tom. My dad don't let me take it off! What do you prefer? The right tom, for me is basically pointless because I just don't even play it.

Here's the other question. Clear or coaded heads? I used remo coaded heads all my life. I finally decided to buy clear heads. I don't like the sound as much. The texture is much different. I also like to tune my mounted time really high. As where my dad is basically low. He changes everything when he sits behind my kit to play just for a minute, when I come back, its all fucked up. I prefer the 'Max Roach approach' when tuning my drums.