Original Album Classics

I know this series has been discussed before, but I couldn't find a dedicated thread.

Anyway, after a lot of pop sets, there are some more jazz-themed releases coming on 29 June, in the new three-CD format. Artists are Ahmad Jamal, Sylvain Luc, Michel Petrucciani, Steve Grossman, Didier Lockwood and Bireli Lagrene.

Amazon search string here.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the grossman set has (not surprisingly) three albums:

Do it, with Barry Harris/Reggie Johnson/Art Taylor

Small Hotel with Cedar Walton/David Williams/Billy Higgins

Quartet with Petrucciani, with Michel Petrucciani/Andy McKee/Joe Farnsworth

51MW4qUJkDL._SS500_.jpg

looks good to me...

I only know the Petrucciani - not that exciting.

"Time to Smile" with Tom Harrell and Elvin, as well as the dirty trio live recording one with Art Taylor are better, in my opinion.

Haven't come around to listen to the Grossman/Griffin set yet.

These 3CD sets are also available from Sony/BMG artists, I think - partly even from some I think that also have 5CD sets out. Not sure of overlap, but the 3CD didn't seem to be priced very attractively, so I didn't look around the web too much.

From the Rhino sets, I got the Dr. John, the Warren Zevon and the Otis Redding. Only played the Dr. John so far - it misses "Remedies", but otherwise it's fabulous!

• 2 months later...

If anyone doesn't have the first 5 Mahavishnu Orchestra albums, this price is too crazy to pass up... $7.76 for all 5:

Amazon

Some prices that are very close for some other jazz artists. (Look below the Amazon price, and yes there is some postage.) These include some of the Thelonious Monk studio Columbia releases (bonus tracks included), Weather Report, John McLaughlin and a few others in the $8 range.

It's a nice way to pick up some of George Benson's stuff before he dove head-first into the smooth jazz-pop world.

I was amused to see this pop up when I narrowed the Original Album Classics search to just "jazz".

41Ca-7fUFgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

No, it's not the Norwegian releases of one of our favorite trombonists. :lol:

Edited by mikelz777

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Those Soft Machine albums are wonderful.

Though I wonder what they are using for Third. I've been through three versions on CD - the first two were atrocious soundwise, the most recent was acceptable but still not brilliant. But it was a double CD with a live broadcast too. Hope they are using the most recent remastering if they've gone back to a single disc.

I'm tempted to ask which mix of the Miles albums is being used. But that would be mischief making.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...