Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Head Man

John Carter & Bobby Bradford on Flying Dutchman

14 posts in this topic

I'm currently listening to the latest John Carter/Bobby Bradford Mosaic Select set and it's so good I wonder if anyone knows why their recordings made for Flying Dutchman in the late 60s/70s have never had a proper reissue on CD. Four tracks surfaced on RCA Novus in 1991 where they were paired with another four tracks by Horace Tapscott (West Coast Hot) but apart from that they seem to have disappeared. Are there contractual problems or what?

No contract problems - just corporate indifference.

The FD vinyl is fairly easy to find in good/great condition. Don't hesitate. Really tragic that it is so underheard and enjoyed even by busy jazz fans those who are familiar with these two great musicians/people. C-B groups are easily among my top five in personal enjoyment terms.

Actually, it's been my experience that the Carter/Bradford FD vinyl is getting harder to find. Not that many come on Ebay anymore and when then do they go for $25 and up.

Actually, it's been my experience that the Carter/Bradford FD vinyl is getting harder to find. Not that many come on Ebay anymore and when then do they go for $25 and up.

Sadly, I have found this true as I had a NM copy of it and my wife's cat peed on it. Totally ruined the cover, which is gone, but the Nitty Gritty record cleaner saved the LP. I was hoping replacing the cover would be easy and cheap, but I haven't found that so far. Since I already have the music, I don't want to pay much just to replace the cover.

No contract problems - just corporate indifference.

Chuck, do you know who has the rights to release Bob Thiele's Flying Dutchman releases?

Hmm. Hopefully somebody will license the stuff for reissue someday, though I might be pissing into the wind with that idea.

Picked up both for a total of $25 or so years ago - excellent music & looking forward to the Mosaic set.

I have been informed there is indeed a legal problem and someone is working to get it cleared up, so there is hope.

I have been informed there is indeed a legal problem and someone is working to get it cleared up, so there is hope.

I hope this is true (and its coming from Chuck is cause for optimism). Those were really good LPs and I'd love to see them in print and easily obtainable.

I hope this is true (and its coming from Chuck is cause for optimism). Those were really good LPs and I'd love to see them in print and easily obtainable.

This is from the 'Mosaic Ahmad Jamal - John Carter/Bobby Bradford Release' thread. Looks promising!

Dear All, I produced the Mosaic Carter Bradford material and would be very interested in any comments or suggestions for the future regarding it. I plan to put out other similar material including the Flying Dutchman material, Bill Dixon Intents and Purposes, Hemphill Dogon A.D (have the master tapes here now), Jeremy Steig Flute Fever, and so on.

Your interest as expressed here on the site is so appreciated.

Jonathan Horwich

Edited by Head Man

I've been listening a lot to the two Carter-Bradford duo releases on Emanem recently. These are readily available, and I'd really recommend them!

I've been listening a lot to the two Carter-Bradford duo releases on Emanem recently. These are readily available, and I'd really recommend them!

Get 'em.