Norah Jones - Feels Like Home

Aggie87

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the top twenty. How would you rate Norah in this lineup?

1 GET RICH OR DIE TRYIN' 50 Cent Shady / Aftermath / Interscope 

*2 COME AWAY WITH ME Norah Jones Blue Note 

*3 UP! Shania Twain Mercury/UMGN 

*4 HOME Dixie Chicks Monument / Columbia / Sony Music 

*5 LET GO Avril Lavigne Arista 

6 METEORA Linkin Park Warner Bros. 

7 8 MILE Soundtrack Shady/Interscope 

*8 FALLEN Evanescence Wind-up 

*9 TIM MCGRAW AND THE DANCEHALL DOCTORS Tim McGraw Curb 

10 STRIPPED Christina Aguilera RCA/RMG 

*11 JUSTIFIED Justin Timberlake Jive/Zomba 

12 THIS IS ME...THEN Jennifer Lopez Epic/Sony Music 

13 CHOCOLATE FACTORY R. Kelly Jive/Zomba 

*14 THE EMINEM SHOW Eminem Web / Aftermath / Interscope 

15 NOW 11 Various Artists Universal / EMI / Zomba / Sony Music / UME 

*16 COCKY Kid Rock Lava/AG 

*17 A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD Coldplay Capitol 

*18 THE YOUNG AND THE HOPELESS Good Charlotte Daylight / Epic / Sony Music 

*19 DANGEROUSLY IN LOVE Beyonce Columbia/Sony Music 

*20 UNLEASHED Toby Keith DreamWorks (Nashville) / Interscope

Dixie Chicks are pretty good.

I have 13 of these CDs. (Now 11 is really not an album, just a compilation)

Guess I'll have to get the 50 Cent CD too.

Course, I love country music too. :rolleyes:

Edited by Tjazz

Guest Chaney

This is an excerpt from a piece in the December 28, 2003 New York Times:

THE LOWS

Tasteful Imitations and Sagging Follow-Ups

Jon Pareles, Neil Strauss, Ben Ratliff and Kelefa Sanneh listened to a lot of bad pop music in 2003; herewith, their least fond recollections.

RATLIFF I think this was a bad year for jazz records but a good year for jazz in the larger sense. I go to clubs all the time and I hear lots of interesting things. And then I hear tons of records that are just like calling cards and placeholders. The major labels have figured out a way to make more money by signing soul singers and folk-pop singers. The tiny labels are troubled and low budget. A lot of incredibly good groups are not finding a way to represent themselves on record.

STRAUSS Did all the Norah Jones Grammys and success help or hurt?

RATLIFF I don't think it really had any impact per se on jazz music. But I think it reorganized the priorities of Blue Note, which released her record. They're going to look for more people like her now and fewer dedicated jazz small-group band leaders, the kind of bread and butter of what they've always been doing.

PARELES The great hope is that when you have a windfall like Norah Jones, then you can bankroll less popular things.

RATLIFF That's the great hope. So far it hasn't happened. And there's a lot of nervous expectation about Norah's next record. Nobody quite knows what it's going to be like.

Full Article -- Registration Required

Edited by Chaney

20 UNLEASHED Toby Keith DreamWorks (Nashville) / Interscope

That dude needs to be punched in the face. Hard.

From a physical standpoint he's a rather large package. Maybe we can see what Lennox Lewis is up to.

:blink: I'm missing something here.... Who is Toby Keith?? :w

He sings that song, "I Love This Bar." He is all over the television. He is a mammoth.

2002-06-13-inside-toby-keith.jpg

Here he is playing Pro U.S.A.-style guitar. He is an innovator in this particular style.

NO, the real innovator in playing USA styled guitars is Buck Owens, especially that 1976 Bicentennial Martin guitar he sported (not pictured here)

owens.gif

That's a cool guitar. I was always kinda' partial to Buck's patriotic Telecaster. Almost got one as a matter fact, bought a B-Bender instead though.

20 UNLEASHED Toby Keith DreamWorks (Nashville) / Interscope

That dude needs to be punched in the face. Hard.

From a physical standpoint he's a rather large package. Maybe we can see what Lennox Lewis is up to.

:blink: I'm missing something here.... Who is Toby Keith?? :w

He sings that song, "I Love This Bar." He is all over the television. He is a mammoth.

2002-06-13-inside-toby-keith.jpg

Here he is playing Pro U.S.A.-style guitar. He is an innovator in this particular style.

Thanks for hipping me me to who toby Keith is... Though I like some Country (and probably because of it's kinship to blues & blue grass), I am admittedly out of the loop with this genre of music.. Especially with the superficial "Cutesy Pop Image" so called "Modern Country" I tend to associate it with GMC pickup trucks and road rage, mullets, people who can't complete a sentence without a double negative, flag waving jingoism, and too many discarded Marlboro cigarette wrappers & Bud Lite beer cans thoughtlessly strewn along the nation's roadways.... :g

Edited by randissimo

That's it Randy, but with a bellowing voice. Not enough range to be cutesy.

... I'm just waiting for "Modern Country" to merge with "Rap/Hip Hop".... B) :blink:

Damm. Yngwie Malmsteem beat me to Classical Metal and now you've exposed my latest top secret project: New Country Hip Hop.

:angry:

Back to the drawing board!

:lol:

... I'm just waiting for "Modern Country" to merge with "Rap/Hip Hop".... B) :blink:

Damm. Yngwie Malmsteem beat me to Classical Metal and now you've exposed my latest top secret project: New Country Hip Hop.

Yo 1-2-3-3-4-1-2-3.

That's nutty! :unsure::D;):g

Yo 1-2-3-3-4-1-2-3.

That's nutty! :unsure::D;):g

Country & Hip-hop:

Try BECK

God knows I hate Toby Keith at least as much as anybody else, but to give the devil his due, his road band, which is drawn primarily from the local Dallas talent pool, includes both African-Americans and horn players in a music that traditionally has little use for either. From what I hear, his pay scale is incredibly generous, as are the accomdations he insists on for his band. The guy's making beaucoup bucks, and he's spreading it around at least a little bit.

But, jeez, is he the most irrtiating SOB in Country music today or WHAT? :eye:

Edited by JSngry