2011 MLB Season

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A perfect summary of why I don't really give a shit about baseball anymore:http://www.oregonliv...elfish_act.html

on the other hand, you have the mediocre orioles battling against the bosox to the last out and the yankees pulling their regulars against the rays.

both moves are defensible.

baseball is no deity but a pasttime.

I'm following along, but trying not to jinx anything (which I probably will with this post). And I've been hanging back from the internets in general lately anyways.

Amazing end to the season. Absolutely crushing for the BoSox, and I can certainly understand why Dan is disheartened. May take a while to repair that club. But they have the wherewithal to do it. As solid as Francona is, the stories dribbling out about how he lost the clubhouse, or parts of it, indicate that he probably did need to go. Big loss for them, for sure. And maybe a big loss for some other team as they shop for a new skipper.

Rays are playing out of their minds, and for a team that has basically been in playoff mode for the better part of a month now, they seem really loose. By all accounts, a great clubhouse (the opposite situation to the BoSox).

There's some magic happening with them, so far. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

And go Tigers (not that I think they'll be an easier opponent for whoever wins the Rays-Rangers series. Quite the opposite).

Edited by papsrus

A perfect summary of why I don't really give a shit about baseball anymore:http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2011/09/canzano_jose_reyes_selfish_act.html

Because baseball was better in the '70s. And let's not forget the sportsmanship of the late '80s either. (Most believe Boggs injury was phantom. They were in the playoffs for the first time since '75, so perhaps he was being careful.)

Reyes set an excellent example for good math skills. :P Just like Willie Wilson...

A perfect summary of why I don't really give a shit about baseball anymore:http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2011/09/canzano_jose_reyes_selfish_act.html

Why focus on this like it defines baseball today? Jose Reyes is a selfish player, no shit. Also seems to be very well liked by teammates and baseball writers like Peter Gammons, he's loved for the energy he brings. Stoopid move though.

By the way, Mets manager Terry Collins went along with Reyes' request to be pulled. He doesn't get a pass here. Collins told reporters he was afraid: "I could possibly lose the one thing I helped create all summer long in one instance, and I wasn't going to let that happen today."

Congratulations skipper, instead you created something ugly.

What this writer purposely neglected to mention was the manager getting very emotional about this.

Kind of changes things doesn't it?

Why not look at the teams that made it to the playoffs, against all odds, like the Cards, Diamondbacks, and Rays?

Hell, I saw Chipper Jones come back from from the surgery on the torn meniscus in his knee, in two weeks. Players 15 years younger him (he's 39) wouldn't be back that soon. He gets his 15 mil a season no matter when (or if) he came back. I also saw players on the braves who haven't made any "real" money yet, risk their careers throwing way too many innings, willingly, to get into the playoffs, and yet they still didn't.

and how about Dustin Pedroia's reaction to the firing of Terry Francona???

Among the most stunned was Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia. A former rookie of the year and MVP, a three-time All-Star, a Gold Glove and Silver Slugger Award winner, and a World Series champion, Pedroia said he owes everything to Francona.

[

"I love him. He's given me every opportunity in the world and given me the respect to play the game with a freedom, and that's what he allows us players to do," Pedroia said. "Geez, man, he's done everything for me and everything for my family, and he's done everything for me in the five years I've been in the big leagues. My heart's broken for him, and I wish he was back and I wish I could have played my whole career for him. It's going to be hard. I'm sure he'll come back a better manager and a better person for it. Us, as an organization, we're going to move forward together."

There are good and bad stories in baseball, don't have to dig too hard to find either...sorta like as in real life.

Edited by BERIGAN

Well, it ain't over till it's over, but it's just about over for the Yankees... the fate of their postseason now hangs by the threads of a baseball in the grip of one A.J. Burnett. :ph34r: Here's hoping he turns in one of his rare masterful performances tomorrow night, but all betting men should be betting on the Tigers to show up in this year's ALCS.

Because baseball was better in the '70s. And let's not forget the sportsmanship of the late '80s either. (Most believe Boggs injury was phantom. They were in the playoffs for the first time since '75, so perhaps he was being careful.)

Reyes set an excellent example for good math skills. :P Just like Willie Wilson...

Well, looking back, the actual thing that I was agreeing with was his comments about baseball prostituting itself in the steroid era, so I can't argue there.

I find that whenever someone's knickers CAN get in a twist about something, they will ALWAYS end up in a twist. No ballplayer, or athlete for that matter, is beyond reproach. Let's keep it all in perspective. K?

I love it when people make a post criticizing a post criticizing something by criticizing the act of criticizing. Or something like that...

Well, looking back, the actual thing that I was agreeing with was his comments about baseball prostituting itself in the steroid era, so I can't argue there.

I find that whenever someone's knickers CAN get in a twist about something, they will ALWAYS end up in a twist. No ballplayer, or athlete for that matter, is beyond reproach. Let's keep it all in perspective. K?

I love it when people make a post criticizing a post criticizing something by criticizing the act of criticizing. Or something like that...

Really? How much do you love it? I was just saying that Reyes' achievement is still an achievement, no asterisk needed. To me, his behavior falls pretty much in line with the rest of today's community, athletic and otherwise. So it doesn't surprise or bother me. Besides, there aren't many ballplayers as exciting as he is.

Silly me wondering why Alex Rodriguez is still batting clean-up when he's 0-10 (and looking completely overmatched) in the ALDS. This guy isn't exactly going to be the gift that keeps on giving as his once considerable skills continue to deteriorate between now and the end of, arguably, the worst contract in the history of baseball.

Edited by Dave James

No kidding on the 'roid years.

Regarding Reyes I'm not really a fan* of him, but when the comparison for last day going for a batting title (or actually hitting .400) is always Ted Fucking Williams, well, that's the highest standard. And face it, Ted was psychotic. :lol: So when I responded back to you it was just from reading angst over the "bunted hit and get out of there" for the 4th or 5th time. Ryan Braun may have been being polite but he had no trouble with it at all. In fact he expressed being grateful that at least he had a shot at the title if he could go 3 for 4. I don't know if he did but if Reyes had a bonus in his contract for winning a batting title, it'd be mighty hard to do the cowboy thing and go out there for a full day, especially vs. Strasburg. If that was the case I can't really fault him.

*This is only from fantasy baseball, as when I have him on my team it's been the years of especially bad hamstring injuries.

Edited by Quincy

And face it, Ted was psychotic. :lol:

If there can be "mad genius" about hitting a baseball, this was the one guy who definitely had it.

Me, I'm a fan.

A 162 game season of just Ted Williams in his prime batting against Bob Gibson in his...I'd get season tickets for that.

Congrats to the Rangers on their return trip to the ALCS. I hope they or Detroit (assuming NY does indeed fall to the Tigers) can stick it to Mr. Lee in the World Series, should the Phillies get that far as well. Nothing against Philadelphia & apologies to resident fans; I just continue to dislike Mr. Lee strongly and prefer to see him denied a WS ring. Not because he spurned the big, bad, 27-time-World-Champion Yankees, but because he used and abused Texas and Texas fans in pursuit of landing the best contract possible from the Phillies, when he had no intention whatsoever of staying with a team that was so eager to make him feel at home. Texas has done quite well without him this year, obviously, and as Jsngry has pointed out, his departure forced the staff to step up their development. But afaic his going to the Phillies was just as mercenary in its own way as going to the Yankees would have been. At least he didn't have to pull a fast one and lead Texas fans on in the process.

And face it, Ted was psychotic. :lol:

If there can be "mad genius" about hitting a baseball, this was the one guy who definitely had it.

Me, I'm a fan.

A 162 game season of just Ted Williams in his prime batting against Bob Gibson in his...I'd get season tickets for that.

Oh me too. I just consider it unfair to the other mortals who have to be compared to him in certain situations. I was also disappointed that The Baseball Project's song "Ted Fucking Williams" didn't do him justice. Gibson vs. Williams would indeed be awesomeness.

Good to hear there is no bonus for a batting title, as that undoubtedly could make for a messy situation.

Don't begrudge Lee going to Philly at all myself, especially since it seems that his family really liked it there as well, and his departure really did force Holland, Harrison, and OGANDO!!! (STILL!) to dig deep and, so far, find something good (mostly). and the money we didn't spend on him went to Beltre & Napoli, and good GOD how do you not like those two guys! JD ROOLZ!

This has been the most exciting (and for me, gratifying, even if it all ends now) season in Rangers' history, bar none, and going to Spring Training not having Cliff Lee and not knowing how the hell we were going to compete without him (I mean, think about it - CJ, Colby, Harrison, Holland, and....Ogando??? Really???) has set the stage for the emotion and intensity behind every game played to this point (and how many ever more remain), and I know I'm not alone among fans in feeling that way. Wash & the players, they're not talking about it, it might not ever have entered their minds, probably hasn't, definitely shouldn't) but that's their business, and so far, they continue to handle it.

So, no hard feelings against Cliff Lee here. But I'll tell you this - when the Cards beat him the other night, I cheered (even if it was at the hands of Lance Berkman, grrrrrr.....), not out of revenge, but just because it guaranteed that it could never again be said that the only time that Post-Season Koufax Cliff Lee ever lost a post-season game was with the Texas Rangers (said with knowing smirks).

Now, having said that...Joe Maddon's post-game comments this afternoon were HOF-worthy worthy beautiful & Jim Leyland's pre-game comments about gingerbread were HOF-worthy truth. Sometimes you win - win big - even if you lose, and no matter what, a day at the ballpark is a day at work first and foremost.

And if you're lucky, you and your wife don't have heart attacks from two highly stressful down-to-the-last-out cliffhangers in less than 24 hours.

So far, so good.

Gibson vs. Williams would indeed be awesomeness.

I'm talking only Gibson vs Williams.

And letting Rickey Henderson handle all the baserunning.

How many tickets can I put you down for? :g